Menu

Veterinary/Animal Science

Hi,

My daughter is all about animals and wants to be a veternarian someday.  She spends most of her time interacting and learning about animals. She volunteers at the pet store taking care of cats, has her own pet care blog, researches a ton about animals, creates recipes for animals, and has just started an animal care service available to our neighbors. I'm looking for some resources in the area of veterinary science/medicine that would be at her level.  She's 9.  She has asked me to look for materials that will help her learn more about the above.  I have ordered some books for her, but not sure what else is out there.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm open to anything. Thanks!

Edited by Wildwood

I’m not familiar with any veterinarian specific resources, but is there a zoo in your area?  Our local zoo has a ton of programs for kids, and even a “junior zookeeper†program in the summer for older kids where they get to help care for the animals.  My youngest also wants to be a veterinarian, so we study a lot of biology and delve down rabbit holes whenever we can.

• Like 1

Texas A&M has an online vet tech course designed for high school 4-h. You do the practicals at a local vet clinic. I plan to have DD do this once she's old enough (she needs to be 16 to intern at the vet office).

Pet cats and walk dogs at an animal shelter. Foster pregnant cats or dogs for a shelter.

• Like 1

I second fostering.  If your local animal shelter sends out animals for foster homes, do take advantage of that program.  It's a hoot!  We've had quite  a few kitties pass through our house before being adopted.  And it's fairly good experience because families need to weigh their charges regularly, monitor them for illness, and administer meds when needed.  

• Like 1