Menu

The Prep & Landing Lounge 12-21-2016

scrapbookbuzz

HAPPY WINTER!!!

According to the calendar today is the first day of winter! To some of you, 

winter has already been here to long and to some of us, it's hard to tell it even arrived.

Since this is the Prep & Landing Lounge (for December anyway), a couple of things come to mind:

*Did anyone watch the "Prep & Landing" special on ABC? I think it was last night. Here: May have to 

see if I can access it online today. I just think that short little movie is so cute!

*Christmas is FOUR days away. Generally I don't like countdowns but this close I know some of us 

need reminders. Are you ready? Here: we've been reading The Advent Book throughout the month.

Our son keeps us accountable to that. Present wise, I'm pretty sure I'm done, other than doing some wrapping. Pretty sure my husband still needs to get me a couple of specific stocking stuffers, though.  :D

*Who's in charge of Christmas dinner? Here: I'm in charge of getting the glazed ham; my sister is in charge

of hosting. 

Talk to me! :bigear: 

I'll go for some muffins! Ds16 is going to make an eggnog cheesecake, so I'll bring that.

Haven't watched the show.

I'm not ready for Christmas, but I'm not stressed about it.

Dh makes Christmas dinner, but I usually prepare a couple sides. This year, he still hasn't decided what he's making. I will be making mashed potatoes and rolls. Dessert is always easy--ds turns 12 on Christmas Day, so we'll have birthday cake.

• Like 1

I crashed last night and didn't catch Prep & Landing {yet again}

You can still watch it on abc.com

It's a little clunky to get there. You have to go to the site, click on Shows, click on Schedule, and scroll BACK to December 15. Then scroll til you find Prep & Landing. But once you're there you can click on it and watch! I may watch it with the kids AFTER we finish English today.

Yay, muffins!

I'm pretty sure I'm in charge of dinner on xmas. I'll probably decide what's for dinner the day before... I'm thinking maybe frozen pizzas?

Oh, and I've never seen Prep & Landing. Didn't know it was a thing.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

So, it's some Disney xmas show? Maybe the kids would like it?

I've been really off my game this week. So, I gather you're feeling better, since you're baking muffins? I'm doing a lot better too - still got a bit of a cough, but mostly just stressed out mentally at this point. I still have some of the bags from our trip from NL to unpack, yesterday I was busy all day taking Celery to OT/Speech, then xmas potluck at swim&gym (oh, and had to run to the store before that to grab something to bring... which turned out to be mustard potato salad and cookies on tour (they're cute, they have place names and pictures on them (but, they're not gluten free)):

http://www.thetasteofgermany.com/coppenrath-cookies-on-tour-caramel/

I normally would've made something for a potluck, but I figured with my cold and just having gotten back from NL and everything I had a valid excuse not to. The potluck was fun. And then after I dropped the kids back off at home (my wife was working from home) I had to go do some parent autism training that NYS requires for parents whose kids have an autism classification on their IEP or something along those lines (it was weird... I had to answer questions about how Celery was as a baby and all that stuff, which should be somewhere in the stack of paperwork the school already had (probably in multiple places)... but, there's one more meeting, and maybe she'll give me some useful ideas then). And then in the evening I met my psych to discuss my wife's plans to bicycle to Albany and what my options are, etc etc etc.

So, I didn't get around to checking in here yesterday, but maybe I'll bring the snacks tomorrow. So, I gather that you're gluten intolerant or celiac or something? Anybody else have allergies I should work around?

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Luuknam, I always enjoy reading your posts. I've been following the thread about your wife's cockamamy idea.I will be praying for ALL of you!

As to my gluten issues, it's a high intolerance, not Celiac, thankfully. I have found an enzyme combo I can take that staves off the cloudy head and stomach cramps if and when I eat something with gluten. However, the pounds still pack on; plus, most everything with gluten also has corn, which has decided it doesn't like me, so it's best if I just avoid it altogether!

On the autism front, I have one. She's on the Asperger's part of the spectrum. But it doesn't matter where the are on the spectrum, it still presents its challenges! Glad we can homeschool her and not have her exhausted by 7 hours of intense stimuli!

Hope you feel better soon!

Now, I need to prepare to do some errands. I'm thinking I may let the kids be done with school for today even though we only accomplished one lesson. Well, one is better than none, right? 

• Like 1

Luuknam, I always enjoy reading your posts. I've been following the thread about your wife's cockamamy idea.I will be praying for ALL of you!

As to my gluten issues, it's a high intolerance, not Celiac, thankfully. I have found an enzyme combo I can take that staves off the cloudy head and stomach cramps if and when I eat something with gluten. However, the pounds still pack on; plus, most everything with gluten also has corn, which has decided it doesn't like me, so it's best if I just avoid it altogether!

On the autism front, I have one. She's on the Asperger's part of the spectrum. But it doesn't matter where the are on the spectrum, it still presents its challenges! Glad we can homeschool her and not have her exhausted by 7 hours of intense stimuli!

Hope you feel better soon!

Now, I need to prepare to do some errands. I'm thinking I may let the kids be done with school for today even though we only accomplished one lesson. Well, one is better than none, right? 

Celery is HFA, but these days I think most people would be more likely to see him as Asperger's, since his speech has improved so much (though of course, they ditched Asperger's with the DSM V and they're both HFA now). He actually did really well in school - the first two years he was in a blended classroom (a mix of special ed and regular ed), and then the next three years in a regular classroom with a 1-1 aide. He's a social kid - he's just not very good at picking up social cues and all that. Though toward the end of second grade I overheard some of his classmates making mean comments about him. I'd already decided to pull him out at that point, after finishing 2nd grade (I'd wanted to homeschool him since before he was born, but our life circumstances just weren't right). And, he likes homeschooling too (except when I actual tell him to do his work, lol).

So, I'll try to think of some snack that doesn't involve gluten or corn. And yes, one lesson is better than none. Thus far, school today here has existed of me handing each kid a new Donald Duck Junior (a Dutch language magazine for beginning readers) and telling them to switch after they finish reading them, while I took a bath. This morning I spent stressed out about my wife, reading her twitter feed to see if there was anything in there that might be important to know, but this afternoon I somewhat got myself together, told myself to focus on some self-care first, took a klonopin, took another one after the bath, but, making progress, doing some laundry now, etc. Plus, it's only 4:21... I often get a fair amount of the school work done in the afternoon/evening if we didn't do stuff in the morning - that often works better for me, and the kids don't seem to mind.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I'm in charge of making the Christmas lumpia this year.

Is that like the Vietnamese thing? We have Vietnamese loempias in NL, but they're not that big that there'd be 'a' xmas loempia. They're a little bigger than the egg rolls the Chinese place has, but still intended for a single person, though you could split one in two... but cutting it into more pieces would get ridiculous.

Is that like the Vietnamese thing? We have Vietnamese loempias in NL, but they're not that big that there'd be 'a' xmas loempia. They're a little bigger than the egg rolls the Chinese place has, but still intended for a single person, though you could split one in two... but cutting it into more pieces would get ridiculous.

Lumpia are Filipino eggrolls.  They are only Christmas lumpia because I married into a Filipino family and it is a family tradition along with the Christmas Figgy Piggy (ie. pig's head).  I will make a whole bunch of lumpia because the cousins fight over them and we can't have that at Christmas time.  ;) 

• Like 1

Lumpia are Filipino eggrolls.  They are only Christmas lumpia because I married into a Filipino family and it is a family tradition along with the Christmas Figgy Piggy (ie. pig's head).  I will make a whole bunch of lumpia because the cousins fight over them and we can't have that at Christmas time.  ;)

Okay, so you just don't add an 's' to pluralize. Got it.

It's so much fun in the Lounge today! 

I just arrived back home from Costco. Went to get ONE thing, came back with near $100 in groceries! 

Ah, well, we WILL eat well, if nothing else. My main purpose was to get some salty snacks for our postman.

I've been inspired by my FB newsfeed to put out snacks for the delivery people (UPS, FedEx, and the mailman).

Wasn't fast enough today but TOMORROW they should not....hold up, just got interrupted by UPS. When I asked her 

if she was hungry, she said, "YES!" so I gave her 3 single serve pouches of the chips I bought at Costco today, specifically 

for that purpose! So glad I could help! (By the way,that means we'll have chips in the Lounge tomorrow, too. And gf double chocolate

muffins since I made a double batch today!)

No one should go hungry tomorrow! Another fun thing I've been doing is ...and I may have mentioned this already... on Saturday, I stopped

by Harbor Freight and bought a pack of 6 prs of cotton gloves for about $5 or $6. I also went to the Dollar Tree and bought some paper bags, some tissue

paper, some stickers, and some of those pretzel stick and cheese snack packs. In each sack, I put one pair of gloves, wrapped around a snack pack, put stickers on the outside of the bag, and tucked tissue paper in last to make it look festive. I've given one pair to a favorite vendor of mine. The rest I put in the gift bags. And I give these out to the homeless I see around town. I figured they might like something given as a gift and not just a handout. Simple but effective.

Tonight I'm going to meet my hubby for an appetizer and last minute stocking stuffer shopping. B-)

The Lounge will remain open but I will most likely not be here. Have a good evening!

• Like 2

Whew just got home from my appointment - thankfully all good news! Getting to reduce my meds yet again :) You can also add me to the GF wagon - I do paleo-ish {I add white rice and some corn due to budget, but try to avoid wheat/oats/etc}

Dd is a mild aspie too. Hers is so mild now it's pretty much just not picking up on social cues and intolerance to loud noises / crowds. Once in a while she has a meltdown when overstimulated but it's pretty rare. I am so proud of her today - she dealt with a emotionally stressful situation {first AF} that she detested the thought of calmly and with only minor whining. Though she did decide to come with me today instead of staying home as she usually does - she needed mama today :)

• Like 2