Menu

Where should we start in AoPS?

SamanthaCarter

There's a similar thread going on right now but I won't hijack. My Ds is just finishing up the Saxon Algebra 1/2 and Beast 5 books. We did MiF 1-5 previously, so in some ways the Saxon 7/6 and Algebra 1/2 was a slowing down and cementing of skills. (My rationale for Saxon was the possibility of moving him to a school using Saxon - that is off the table.) I want to commit to AoPS going forward. Ds is a quick study that needs a challenge - he needs to feel a stretching, which quite frankly he hasn't had yet with the exception of some Beast stuff. So where would you start: Pre-A or Algebra? I could go either way. He's young, so no rush; but not enough challenge I fear will encourage laziness or the expectation that math should be easy. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is 10? I could go either way. You could give him the option of "testing out" of AoPS Prealgebra chapters by having him try the chapter review first. Or, complete the "do you need this?" post-tests from both the Prealgebra 1 and 2 courses (here and here).

Thank you, this is perfect! I didn't see these on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's young, so no rush; but not enough challenge I fear will encourage laziness or the expectation that math should be easy.

Let him try the AMC8 past year papers. If those are too easy, start with the intro to algebra book. If those are too hard, start with the prealgebra. If it is neither easy nor hard, then it is really your call.

https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php/AMC_8_Problems_and_Solutions

My kids first tried the AMC8 when they were 9 and 10. It was a fun experience and they know that they are not the tippy top :) Another fun low pressure contest was the RSM contest but we have a few centers near us for the on-site 2nd round.

My DS12 who finds math relatively easy still enjoyed the prealgebra book even though he didn't have to work hard. He had to think but it wasn't at struggling level. My kids like the non-algebra chapters (last few chapters) in the prealgebra book more.

However if cost is a factor, there is nothing wrong or bad about going straight to the intro to algebra book.