Menu

Have you successfully started with AOPS Alg after another pre-A program?

I know, I know, I said I'd taken AOPS off the table.  LOL.  

I've got MM7 and am planning on jumping into it in Jan when DS finishes SM5.  I've looked through it and see no reason to do SM or MM 6.  

I've heard mixed reviews on AOPS pre-alg, and AOPS was still "off the table" when I bought MM7.  

But now, it's back on the table again.  Don't ask me why, maybe it's the ghost of Christmas past or something...  

Anyway, I just need to hear a few people tell me "It'll be ok" to start AOPS in the algebra book and not the pre-alg book (after following MM pre-alg)

We did Saxon 8/7 for prealgebra (hated it with a burning passion) and used AoPS Intro to Algebra afterwards, and AoPS ever since.

The prealgebra text is fairly new; all AoPS users with older children had to use a different prealgebra. It's completely fine.

Edited by regentrude

We did Saxon 8/7 for prealgebra (hated it with a burning passion) and used AoPS Intro to Algebra afterwards, and AoPS ever since.

The prealgebra text is fairly new; all AoPS users with older children had to use a different prealgebra. It's completely fine.

I thought I had read that somewhere (alg being the original first text) but couldn't remember for sure and googling wasn't helping.  Thanks!  

I don't see why not. I don't think you need their preA to start Algebra.

Word of caution though. Algebra text is much, much harder than preA, especially the second half of the book.

Thanks!  I am sort of hoping to finally hit a math level where ds will struggle.  I think he needs to build some coping skill for struggling, so AOPS is about more than just math.  :-)

• Like 1

Thanks! I am sort of hoping to finally hit a math level where ds will struggle. I think he needs to build some coping skill for struggling, so AOPS is about more than just math. :-)

We went from SM5 to preAlgebra. Any reason why you want to skip preA? It's an excellent text for a kid who needs a challenge. I am saying this because your kid is still very young, so time isn't an issue. I have worked through aops preA twice now and each time with a 4th grade who has finished SM 5. It was a superb math year for both of them.

• Like 2

We went from SM5 to preAlgebra. Any reason why you want to skip preA? It's an excellent text for a kid who needs a challenge. I am saying this because your kid is still very young, so time isn't an issue. I have worked through aops preA twice now and each time with a 4th grade who has finished SM 5. It was a superb math year for both of them.

I haven't totally ruled it out. I think a lot of it has to do with "steeling my nerves" before the plunge. I thought I had lots of time to weigh my options, and yet, here we are, ready to jump! I have no fear about math, Just fear of moving into discovery based.

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland

P.s. I was thinking of combining it with CTC Understanding Geometry to more closely mimic the local "integrated approach"... in case anyone has an opinion on that...

PreA has excellent geometry chapters! I really think for a younger child it's a gentler book that Algebra (only the first 4 chapters are easy there) to introduce discovery, and it has geometry chapters you want. You can't go wrong with it. We just wrapped up chapter 12 with DS.

• Like 1

P.s. I was thinking of combining it with CTC Understanding Geometry to more closely mimic the local "integrated approach"... in case anyone has an opinion on that...

I think Tress did that. Hopefully she'll chime in.

The nice thing about that book is that you can write right in it to mark angles or whatever, which may be especially helpful for a younger student.

I think Tress did that. Hopefully she'll chime in.

The nice thing about that book is that you can write right in it to mark angles or whatever, which may be especially helpful for a younger student.

I didn't realize that!  I'll go bug her via PM.  

BUT WRITE IN A BOOK???  I think you're violating some kind of forum law by suggesting that! :lol:

PreA has excellent geometry chapters! I really think for a younger child it's a gentler book that Algebra (only the first 4 chapters are easy there) to introduce discovery, and it has geometry chapters you want. You can't go wrong with it. We just wrapped up chapter 12 with DS.

Oh yeah!  I was still thinking the algebra book.  So, more like:

AOPS Pre-A with MM7 breaks if needed

AOPS Alg + CTC Understanding Geometry

Oh yeah! I was still thinking the algebra book. So, more like:

AOPS Pre-A with MM7 breaks if needed

AOPS Alg + CTC Understanding Geometry

Are you saying you won't eventually use aops geometry? Because if you are planning on it, you can probably do without CTC. I am making an assumption here that you have all the books in the house. If you do, you can use geometry sections from preA book along with Algebra.

My older kid did preA, followed by Algebra book and is now working on geometry. To make sure we don't forget algebra, he is working on algebra alcumus concurrently with geo book.

The only reason to go with something other than aops is if you don't want that level of difficulty, but if challenge isn't an issue, you don't need to double up on CTC.

Are you saying you won't eventually use aops geometry? Because if you are planning on it, you can probably do without CTC. I am making an assumption here that you have all the books in the house. If you do, you can use geometry sections from preA book along with Algebra.

My older kid did preA, followed by Algebra book and is now working on geometry. To make sure we don't forget algebra, he is working on algebra alcumus concurrently with geo book.

The only reason to go with something other than aops is if you don't want that level of difficulty, but if challenge isn't an issue, you don't need to double up on CTC.

Assuming AOPS works for us, I would continue with the series.  I just have the following things I need to accommodate for:

- DC need to take standardized exams every two years at the local public school.  So, while the two oldest are advanced in math compared to PS, I still need to be sure they are covering geometry often enough to deal with it on the exams.  It sounds like the Pre-A book will not be any issue, but if we have an exam year the same year we have the Alg1 text, it would be good if dc were still up-to-date on their geometry.  This may be as easy as a "summer review" booklet from the local bookstore, but maybe doing a few pages of an easy/intro geometry would be good instead.  

- Starting this spring, DS will be eligible to take an exam to get into a gifted math program at the university.  If he gets in, I would *hope* to complete AOPS pre-Alg before it started in the fall, but I know that would be a tight squeeze.  Anyway, the exam is given every year, and students are eligible from age 10-13.  The exam is actually the math portion of the US SAT exam.  I plan to have DS take the exam this spring, but I do not expect him to pass it.  However, the following spring (he'd be 11) I think he could do quite well, assuming he's either just finished the pre-alg text OR is in the alg text but is keeping up in some way with geometry.  

If he gets in to this gifted math program, that will probably be the end of math at home, although it would really depend on what the homework load for the class is and how long aops takes daily... and a million other factors.  

• Like 1

I didn't realize that!  I'll go bug her via PM.  

BUT WRITE IN A BOOK???  I think you're violating some kind of forum law by suggesting that! :lol:

No, no, it was Loesje!

Sorry. I'm so tired, my neurons are crossing. Ugh.

The pages are nice and thick and matte, like a workbook. That's an open invitation.  :smilielol5:

It is pricier than a normal workbook, so writing in it bites. But alas, the things we do to find the perfect curriculum fit.

• Like 3

We did AoPS Pre A after Horizons Math grade 2-5, grade 6 with a Flemish worktext.

We tried a standard Flemish math text, but it didn't work out.

Dd had no clue what she was doing, and I had no clue how to explain it.

So we switched to AoPS Pre A + CTC UG.

Pre A alone would not have enough geometry in it to be prepared to the required 8th grade exam.

As dd is not a math lover, so we skipped all the challenge and moem problems.

But the the explanations were terrific.

We rely heavily on the video's so we hit a wall now in the middle of Intro to Algebra, as there are no longer video's available.

We too have a 'every two year' examsystem, and so far Pre A + CTC UG equals our grade 7+8,

Intro to A + LoF Trig equals grade 9+10, and for the language track Functions + Statistics are the exams topics for grade 11+12

You can find more of my math search on the highschool board.

(I don't visit this board that often anymore)

• Like 2

No, no, it was Loesje!

Sorry. I'm so tired, my neurons are crossing. Ugh.

The pages are nice and thick and matte, like a workbook. That's an open invitation.  :smilielol5:

It is pricier than a normal workbook, so writing in it bites. But alas, the things we do to find the perfect curriculum fit.

I was up late last night watching people try out frixion erasable highlighters on youtube.  So now I'm less opposed to marking in a book.

At any rate, the text is really not worse than a year of Singapore in terms of cost.  

• Like 1

We did AoPS Pre A after Horizons Math grade 2-5, grade 6 with a Flemish worktext.

We tried a standard Flemish math text, but it didn't work out.

Dd had no clue what she was doing, and I had no clue how to explain it.

So we switched to AoPS Pre A + CTC UG.

Pre A alone would not have enough geometry in it to be prepared to the required 8th grade exam.

As dd is not a math lover, so we skipped all the challenge and moem problems.

But the the explanations were terrific.

We rely heavily on the video's so we hit a wall now in the middle of Intro to Algebra, as there are no longer video's available.

We too have a 'every two year' examsystem, and so far Pre A + CTC UG equals our grade 7+8,

Intro to A + LoF Trig equals grade 9+10, and for the language track Functions + Statistics are the exams topics for grade 11+12

You can find more of my math search on the highschool board.

(I don't visit this board that often anymore)

Thank you for this!  I'm also going to try to find info on combining the AOPS Alg1 and AOPS Geometry books.   Perhaps it's possible to fold in the geometry after the first half of Alg 1?  Or else I'll stick with CTC UG.

• Like 2

Dd was 11 when we started with AoPS so we have a 'Time Problem':

I can't use AoPS for everything, and passing the 8th grade exams are a requirement to continue homeschooling during Highschool. I didn't dare to 'try' AoPS Geometry. It looked so different from the geometry here.

CTC UG is also much more recognizable for the inspectors here.

What about free MEP geometry topics for more economical approach? Although CTC probably would work just as great.

Aops geometry is a massive undertaking. My kid didn't find the algebra book difficult, but geometry is a different story. We routinely spend 1.5 hours just to solve 4 problems in challenging sections.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

What about free MEP geometry topics for more economical approach? Although CTC probably would work just as great.

Aops geometry is a massive undertaking. My kid didn't find the algebra book difficult, but geometry is a different story. We routinely spend 1.5 hours just to solve 4 problems in challenging sections.

I'm terrible at picking and choosing topics.  But it's good to know that AOPS geo is a bear.  It may be helpful to work through CTC just to ease our way into AOPS Geo.  Or I may look at local options for geometry...

• Like 2

I'm terrible at picking and choosing topics. But it's good to know that AOPS geo is a bear. It may be helpful to work through CTC just to ease our way into AOPS Geo. Or I may look at local options for geometry...

I am the same! I can't tell you how many times I looked at MEP with an intention of using it for statistics topics covered by common core. Every single time I get lost. Yet apparently it can be done. 😂

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

My son went from SM5 to AoPS algebra without a prealgebra program at all - not a route I'd recommend.

I think you can use any prealgebra. It your student needs more practice (like my daughter) you can do AoPS after another prealgebra or you can just move on to algebra.

AoPS algebra teaches all the concepts from step one, but it moves fast so it is easier to have seen it first in a prealgebra program.

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank all of you for you help in this thread!  I'm getting excited now to launch into this program.  

I can remember looking at the sample for Pre-A a long time ago and seeing that first question:  "Why is 3+2 equal to 2+3, use these drawings of boxes to explain"... and thinking  :banghead: .  But I've dived deeper into the samples now and I think we're going to do well with it.  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 2

Starting this spring, DS will be eligible to take an exam to get into a gifted math program at the university. If he gets in, I would *hope* to complete AOPS pre-Alg before it started in the fall, but I know that would be a tight squeeze. Anyway, the exam is given every year, and students are eligible from age 10-13. The exam is actually the math portion of the US SAT exam. I plan to have DS take the exam this spring, but I do not expect him to pass it. However, the following spring (he'd be 11) I think he could do quite well, assuming he's either just finished the pre-alg text OR is in the alg text but is keeping up in some way with geometry.

What is the "passing score" required for the Math portion of SAT? My oldest took the SAT when he was 11.5 years old and comfortably hit the 98th percentile without prep other than doing a complete practice test for familiarisation. My younger boy took the SAT when he was a month away from his 11th birthday and he needed a week of test prep just to boost his speed. He scored at the 80th percentile and he could not complete any sections of the SAT. My DS12 does things at least twice faster than DS11 just to give you an idea, but DS12 can be careless even when checking his answers.

Both my kids did aops prealgebra since they were 8 years old then and we have plenty of time. They did aops geometry concurrent with algebra, by choosing whether they want to do algebra or geometry or both for the day.

• Like 1

They don't score it out of 800, but do use the full point, -1/4 point, or 0 point system.  

For a 12yo, they want at least 20 out of 30 possible points 

For a 13yo, they would need at least 22.5 out of 30 possible points

I believe they are just using the US SAT as a problem bank and giving 30 total problems.  Looking at the sample tests they have up, I actually don't think ds could pass it this year.  He hasn't had much graphing and he would be intimidated by wording like "Out of all non-negative natural numbers..."  

BUT, I think he'll be ready to go for it one year from now when he's 11!  They don't even give the score they require for 10-11 year olds because I think so few take it at those ages.  

What is the "passing score" required for the Math portion of SAT? My oldest took the SAT when he was 11.5 years old and comfortably hit the 98th percentile without prep other than doing a complete practice test for familiarisation. My younger boy took the SAT when he was a month away from his 11th birthday and he needed a week of test prep just to boost his speed. He scored at the 80th percentile and he could not complete any sections of the SAT. My DS12 does things at least twice faster than DS11 just to give you an idea, but DS12 can be careless even when checking his answers.

Both my kids did aops prealgebra since they were 8 years old then and we have plenty of time. They did aops geometry concurrent with algebra, by choosing whether they want to do algebra or geometry or both for the day.

I just responded to this above but forgot to quote you.  

Also, I like the idea of doing the algebra and geometry books concurrently!  Might be worth a shot.