Menu

Do I want to get CTC Understanding Algebra? (looking for an oyster in a bucket of crabs)

SarahW

I need a fun, colorful, consumable, lots of white space workbook for Algebra that includes a tad of instruction and not oodles of "review" practice problems, and maybe extends to some theory and concepts. Am I asking for the world?

Crazypant's school has, now that he's tested out of the elementary math completely, switched him over to a line of logic-puzzle and "enrichment" math books. So at home I'm trying to just keep things fun and light and also show him that no, he does not know "all of math" just yet. (The school's "we don't have anything else for you to do!!" angst confused him.) Now that BA 5C is on RR I'm putting an order in for the 5 guides. I also recently bought him the Cartoon Guide to Algebra, thinking that that would also show him that there's things he doesn't know yet, like quadratic equations.

The Cartoon Guide to Algebra isn't half bad. He's enjoying reading through it. Not as much as BA, but it's still sorta funny and interesting, he says. But the practice problems at the end of each chapter are quite uninspiring, plus the format is uninviting (SQUISHED SMALL CAPS). What he needs is a floppy funny book he can scribble in, throw against the wall, sit on, and poke his pencil through to play with the stuff he's reading about a bit. Not a lot necessarily, he's going to be running through all this again in school at some point (maybe in a super compacted math class in his 2nd language) and he just needs to be not-confused and let things percolate a bit.

I thought, while I'm putting in a RR order, let's see what's out there. Crab legs, mostly just crab legs. At least, to a 9yo boy they are. He still needs to see a format that appeals to his age. Otherwise, he complains that I ask him to do "too hard" stuff because don't I know that he's "still a kid!" Review workbooks for regular Algebra 1 are too plain and too rote. Remedial "fun" books for adults tend to crack jokes designed for jaded 30-somethings and too much "this happens in real life, too!" content and less theory and fun with concepts. Or, they say "algebra" but don't go far beyond finding x and basic substituting. Or there's way too many words.

I'd say that he's at about the second half of Algebra 1. He's got basic linear equations and inequalities, he's got Pre-A, exponents, square roots, the Pythagorean theorem, and so on. He is not interested in practicing those anymore. He needs simultaneous equations, finding slopes, factoring binomials, and quadratic equations, and then more graphing of those.

Does this oyster exist?

He does not like Key to... Too much retro-80's design, cluttered pages, and rote formulas.

Not Fred ... Too much reading.

I even looked at Kumon Algebra 1 part 2. That looks like it's close to what I'm thinking. But is this the highest level Kumon book you can buy?

Then I came across CTC Understanding Algebra. Hmmm.... Color. Not too many words. Layout looks pretty sparse. Workbook. Concepts? Leaded problem solving. But the price! Ugh, CTC, I know I'm asking for full color printing, but still.... Can I admit I picked up the other CTC books I have for only a few quarters each? LOL. Reviews? Would the price be worth it in this instance? Is this the oyster I'm looking for?

Other possibilities? I looked at New Syllabus Mathematics because I saw it had a workbook and was hoping it would be like the PM workbooks (it's not). Does anyone own one of these? Can you write in the textbook or are the pages too glossy? (I know you're probably not supposed to write in it, but is it possible?) Is the layout of the physical book okay? Plus, it's integrated math, and I'm not sure if he's beyond book 1 or not.

We had some luck with British Revision books last year. Colorful, compact, sometimes a joke. But I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. I think GSCE revision is a bit too high. KS3 maybe? And there's a gazillion different editions, all at Anxious Parent price points. 

Anything else I should look at?

BTW - I'm shelving the aops route at the moment. ADHD, anxiety, SPD, whatever is going on, plus that he gets puzzle math in school at the moment... I think something basically straightforward is the path at the moment. He'll likely circle back around to aops at some point in the future.

Cryptoclub?

Het stripverhaal van de Statistiek?

Not colorfull, but definetly not 'schoolstuff': http://www.epsilon-uitgaven.nl/zebra.php

This probably cheaper then CTC:

http://secundair.diekeure.be/nl-be/catalogus/vbtl-585/vbtl-1-vakantieboek-1-naar-2-610

http://secundair.diekeure.be/nl-be/catalogus/vbtl-585/vbtl-2-vakantieboek-van-2-naar-3-611

http://secundair.diekeure.be/nl-be/catalogus/vbtl-585/vbtl-3-vakantieboek-van-3-naar-4-609

I still have CTC 'understanding Geometry' + 'Mathematical Reasoning for Middle School' for sale BTW

You can find pdfs of workbooks online if you search with 'study guide and intervention workbook algebra 1', from the major textbook publishers. They dont have enough work space for a younger student, and too many exercises for a gifted student, so what people do is cut and paste, or they tape a white strip over some problems and photocopy. The explanation is concise and to the point.

For ex:

http://glencoe.mheducation.com/sites/0078884802/student_view0/student_workbooks.html

Cryptoclub?

Het stripverhaal van de Statistiek?

Not colorfull, but definetly not 'schoolstuff': http://www.epsilon-uitgaven.nl/zebra.php

This probably cheaper then CTC:

http://secundair.diekeure.be/nl-be/catalogus/vbtl-585/vbtl-1-vakantieboek-1-naar-2-610

http://secundair.diekeure.be/nl-be/catalogus/vbtl-585/vbtl-2-vakantieboek-van-2-naar-3-611

http://secundair.diekeure.be/nl-be/catalogus/vbtl-585/vbtl-3-vakantieboek-van-3-naar-4-609

I still have CTC 'understanding Geometry' + 'Mathematical Reasoning for Middle School' for sale BTW

Yay, more links to belgian books! I don't know what it is, but nearly all educational-value Dutch books I can put my hands on have been printed in Belgium. Since we're in the north, there's sometimes odd word choices (comparatively) but something is better than nothing.

Did you use those CTC books? Any thoughts about them? Why did you skip over the Algebra book?

I've been hunting for reviews of the Algebra book, but mostly just find people talking about the Geometry book, and only passing references to Algebra. Or summaries on blogs by people who haven't actually used it. I'm just super curious about why it seems to have been ignored?

BTW - Does the Geometry book teach proofs? I realized the other day that of all the Dutch math books I've glanced at, I haven't seen any work with writing proofs. Maybe I didn't have a chance to glance at the right book? But I asked my DH and he wasn't sure what I was talking about at all, but he did havo/mavo. Maybe proofs are only in the vwo math books?

Can you do the Geometry book without having finished the Algebra book? We've done some geometry already, but just bits here and there. He might like having a book on it he can play with.

Hunting down samples... I wish you lived a bit closer. :)

• Like 1

You can find pdfs of workbooks online if you search with 'study guide and intervention workbook algebra 1', from the major textbook publishers. They dont have enough work space for a younger student, and too many exercises for a gifted student, so what people do is cut and paste, or they tape a white strip over some problems and photocopy. The explanation is concise and to the point.

For ex:

http://glencoe.mheducation.com/sites/0078884802/student_view0/student_workbooks.html

Yes, a few weeks ago I spent oodles of time at the computer hunting down every available pdf for Holt Algebra 1 (which has cleaner lines than the Glencoe). By sticking together an "intervention" page with an "enrichment" page in each section, you can create an Algebra course which is both gentle and has depth. I thought I was brilliant. I even crossed out the problems in the middle of the page so there'd be more space to work the ones on the right and left (still have handwriting issues here). 

But alas, this was the thing that caused him to belly flop on the couch and whine about how he was "still just a kid!" He's having pre-pubescent Peter Pan angst in general right now. I told him that for now on when he's thirsty he can just go to the kitchen and get himself a drink, and he complained that I never do fun things with him anymore.  :001_rolleyes:

Hence, my search for the oyster of a meaty Algebra workbook which has "FOR KIDS!!" pasted all over it. Sigh. :lol:  

Yay, more links to belgian books! I don't know what it is, but nearly all educational-value Dutch books I can put my hands on have been printed in Belgium. Since we're in the north, there's sometimes odd word choices (comparatively) but something is better than nothing.

Did you use those CTC books? Any thoughts about them? Why did you skip over the Algebra book?

I've been hunting for reviews of the Algebra book, but mostly just find people talking about the Geometry book, and only passing references to Algebra. Or summaries on blogs by people who haven't actually used it. I'm just super curious about why it seems to have been ignored?

BTW - Does the Geometry book teach proofs? I realized the other day that of all the Dutch math books I've glanced at, I haven't seen any work with writing proofs. Maybe I didn't have a chance to glance at the right book? But I asked my DH and he wasn't sure what I was talking about at all, but he did havo/mavo. Maybe proofs are only in the vwo math books?

Can you do the Geometry book without having finished the Algebra book? We've done some geometry already, but just bits here and there. He might like having a book on it he can play with.

Hunting down samples... I wish you lived a bit closer. :)

We used both CTC books (Geometry and mathematical reasoning) along AoPS Pre Algebra.

So we would cover all topics of integrated math grade 7/8.

Proofs is not covered in Dutch Math as far as I know, definetly not in 2 column style.

(I also did Havo, but we can ask Tress, she did VWO)

Understanding Geometry makes a start with proofs in 2 columns style (last 2 chapters).

CTC algebra was not available at the time. I think it is published in 2015?

As we use AoPS for the Algebra, I didn't gave it any further look.

We could 'use' Tress as meeting point ;)

I can also send for about 7,50 euro a box full of books to the Netherlands.

We finished the Geometry book before we had finished AoPS Pre A,

We considered Understanding Geometry not Algebra heavy, as it is a grade 7/8 book IMO

(But I don't know much about American math, I just check how to use American math texts in a Belgian sequence)

• Like 1

We used both CTC books (Geometry and mathematical reasoning) along AoPS Pre Algebra.

Proofs is not covered in Dutch Math as far as I know, definetly not in 2 column style.

Understanding Geometry makes a start with proofs in 2 columns style (last 2 chapters).

We considered Understanding Geometry not Algebra heavy, as it is a grade 7/8 book IMO

(But I don't know much about American math, I just check how to use American math texts in a Belgian sequence)

Replied to your email. :D

Curious about proofs. I wonder if this could be one reason why NL is (comparatively speaking) lower than I expected in the IMO rankings. 

Maybe the Algebra book is new. Could explain why I'm having trouble finding info from people who have actually used it all the way through.

• Like 1

Yes, a few weeks ago I spent oodles of time at the computer hunting down every available pdf for Holt Algebra 1 (which has cleaner lines than the Glencoe). By sticking together an "intervention" page with an "enrichment" page in each section, you can create an Algebra course which is both gentle and has depth. I thought I was brilliant. I even crossed out the problems in the middle of the page so there'd be more space to work the ones on the right and left (still have handwriting issues here).

But alas, this was the thing that caused him to belly flop on the couch and whine about how he was "still just a kid!" He's having pre-pubescent Peter Pan angst in general right now. I told him that for now on when he's thirsty he can just go to the kitchen and get himself a drink, and he complained that I never do fun things with him anymore. :001_rolleyes:

Hence, my search for the oyster of a meaty Algebra workbook which has "FOR KIDS!!" pasted all over it. Sigh. :lol:

I have memories of my DD howling that "some of us WANT little monsters with our algebra!!" (She was comparing the just published BA 3 to her algebra test-and definitely finding AoPS negligent on the lack of cute monsters...)

• Like 2

I have memories of my DD howling that "some of us WANT little monsters with our algebra!!" (She was comparing the just published BA 3 to her algebra test-and definitely finding AoPS negligent on the lack of cute monsters...)

:lol:

Yes, BA really managed to hit all the hard-but-still-cute notes (in the Guides at least). Too bad the aops books are So Incredibly Serious, and wordy. 

I did manage to find out that McGraw-Hill publishes graphic novels through Eureka Comics that cover Alg1, Geo, and Alg2. They're called The Remainders. They're not "cute" but they are GN. They're nearly impossible to find online, and I'm not sure they even made physical prints.  :confused:  C'mon people, there's unusual kids here dying for your product!

Crazypants asked for BA5 for Christmas, and a relative is indulging him. So that clears some funds to spring for the Algebra book, and nabbing Geometry from Loesje.  :thumbup1:

• Like 2

Yes, a few weeks ago I spent oodles of time at the computer hunting down every available pdf for Holt Algebra 1 (which has cleaner lines than the Glencoe). By sticking together an "intervention" page with an "enrichment" page in each section, you can create an Algebra course which is both gentle and has depth. I thought I was brilliant. I even crossed out the problems in the middle of the page so there'd be more space to work the ones on the right and left (still have handwriting issues here).

But alas, this was the thing that caused him to belly flop on the couch and whine about how he was "still just a kid!" He's having pre-pubescent Peter Pan angst in general right now. I told him that for now on when he's thirsty he can just go to the kitchen and get himself a drink, and he complained that I never do fun things with him anymore. :001_rolleyes:

Lol. I informed my kid the price of going to public school in the ncga era was doing the thinking material at home. I stocked stickers and I had a couple of stamps so adding cute was a 30 sec job. That didnt get them out of thinking. Pre-ncga, the 3rd grade teacher would use smarties...the ones the size and shape of an m&m...to encourage the students to use their brains.

In the interest of completeness, a link to a document (pdf) on this topic.

Yes, it's in VWO, but how it's done is controversial.

• Like 1

In the interest of completeness, a link to a document (pdf) on this topic.

Yes, it's in VWO, but how it's done is controversial.

Thanks!

'bewijzen' is a part of Flemish math.

It is more like this:

http://alleopgaven.nl/uploads/e8fffed4e51b1e48f885d3371c7fad6f.pdf

Dd liked CTC Understanding Geometry but unfortunetly they never wrote a follow up.

And I just can't teach math from a Flemish math text.