Menu

The Harp and Laurel Wreath vs Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization

Renai

I'm wondering if there are any comparisons between these two resources. I remember when The Harp and Laurel Wreath was the thing back in the day, but now I rarely hear anything of it...perhaps because I haven't been reading any poetry threads...  :leaving:

Any opinions/comparisons?

Thanks!

I have Harp and Laurel Wreath and many other poetry books. I have looked at the IEW book but don't own it. It's mostly just a collection of fun poems (which are easily found other places) and instructions for a regimen of memorization. Harp and Laurel Wreath has discussion questions. I don't recall if IEW does or not.

I didn't end up buying IEW because I already have several poetry resources and we use our own style of memorization.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i agree with the above poster both of these resources are just complications of poems that can be found elsewhere. I suspect that most people buy and use them because the work has been done for you at least that's why I did. I have both resources and right now we're using IEW simply because it comes with a CD of someone else reading the poems. Please keep in mind that I bought resources used for great deals and I'm using the older edition of IEW and have no idea how the product has changed since it has been updated. My plan is to put together a poetry unit for my oldest at some point using the Harp and Laurel Wreath but I haven't done it yet.

• Like 1

I have The Harp and Laural Wreath.  I do use it, but I might not buy it if I had to go back - it is easy to find the same poems in used books.  I don't find their dictation selections worthwhile at all.  And some sections have a lot of poems that are not so interesting to non-Americans.

• Like 1

I have the Harp and Laurel Wreath and a pdf of the first couple of levels of the IEW product (free download at some point). I have used the Harp for several years and continue to use it as one poem selection option. I hope to get a chance to look through the IEW stuff this summer for next year. There is more variety in the Harp (Shakespeare,discussion questions for the rhetoric stage works), but I haven't used it much for that purpose. By high school, my kids mostly puck their own memorization pieces.

• Like 1

I have both. I originally bought Harp & the Laurel Wreath for narration and did use it some back in the day until I began using language arts materials that were more open and go. 

I've used Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization with my youngest two and LOVE it. We've always done a lot of scripture memory (large blocks and chapters) but this is the first time we've done serious poetry memorization. I like the poem selections, I got it used from a friend and it's working great. I don't have the CD, but that would be the clincher for me if you're only talking poetry memorization and not narration. 

• Like 2

Thanks all for your responses. I've been reading and pondering your words as I figure out how I want to move forward with my youngest. With my oldest, we only did things like the books of the Bible, and some scriptures, but I think it was the curriculum I was using at the time. I may have also pulled a couple of poems from a poem book I have (A Child's Garden of Verses, or some such). Memorization eventually fell by the wayside, I think by 3rd grade. I have a kindergartener now, and was thinking of perhaps getting a resource specifically for the purpose. Funny enough, I've had the Harp on my wish list since my 11th grader was in K.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Renai