Menu

Cooking chicken tenders: seasoning help

Lawana

Ds is trying to bulk up by working out and eating 4000 calories a day :eek:

I have 5 pounds of chicken tenders to cook and am looking for suggestions of how to season for a variety of taste. Pan frying about half (seasoned bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, olive oil in pan), but would like to do something else, too.

Thanks in advance.

I follow this basic recipe frequently: http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-chicken-fingers-tenders-334473

Instead of doing a flour-egg wash-flour routine like the recipe, I soak the tenders all day in egg and buttermilk. Then I dredge them in the flour mixture straight from the buttermilk and pan-fry them. They are fabulous and my ds's favorite dinner. The red pepper flakes give a nice kick to them. 

I've added some dill pickle juice to milk before and soaked them in that (a la Chikfila), but we all still prefer the buttermilk.

• Like 3

You can look up some paleo chicken tender recipes- those are usually rolled in seasoned almond flour, and that will also add calories and much needed fat.  

Some other options:

Coat in seasoned mayonnaise then bread crumbs then baked

beaten egg plus seasoned corn starch, then fried

For seasoning, I just eyeball it with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic.  

I'm assuming your ds has read a bit about bulking and cutting in terms of muscle gain and knows he can't eat at 4000cal forever, unless he's putting in a LOT of exercise like water polo, wrestling, etc...  

• Like 1

I like this marinade:

1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 Tablespoon olive oil

6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients from brown sugar to olive oil to make marinade. Put chicken in a glass bowl or ziplock bag and pour marinade over, turning chicken to coat. Let chicken marinate in refrigerator for 60-90 minutes. Remove from marinade and grill (or could probably bake with good results).

• Like 1

These are some wonderful suggestions! Ds will be happy to have a variety of flavors.

And yes, he knows he can't eat like this forever. He has done this once before and gained twenty-five pounds which he promptly lost as soon as he stopped force feeding himself.