Menu

Christmas Unit Study?

PentecostalMom

We did one about all the different holidays during the Christmas season and what they had in common vs specifically the individual holiday. It was quite interesting to view how many had very, *very* similar teachings to Advent, Christmas, Epiphany. I don't know if you are comfortable with the ages of your youngin's going into the holidays of other faiths. We didn't do it as a "Let's see what other things we could celebrate." Much more how unifying many of our Christan beliefs can be if we look at them in a larger worldview. Obviously, no representation like "look how Christian all these other cultures are!" Golden Rule-ish. Understanding others-ish. Far more similar than different-ish. Looking at a lot of geography, neat mythology, texts of other places, languages of other places. There were a suprising number of kid's books in our library that summarized and kid-ified things like the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the Torah, the Ramayana. It was neat for me too!

One year we looked into the Biblical scholars and why they think Jesus was not born during December. Then why they think we have his birthday party in December if he was not actually born in December. That was pretty cool. It explained a lot of the traditions that have nothing to do with Jesus (the tree, candles, Santa, gifts, holly, cookies, peppermint candy canes, snowmen). It also put a big focus on the religious precepts and not on the materialism. We talked a lot about how a culture can steer people and why it is important to know your beliefs, check your actions against those beliefs, and not get caught up even if it seems WAY more fun. It became a bit of Christmas Around the World by the time we were done. We pick up a lot of traditions in the U.S. from other places in our herritage.

I don't know if either of those are inspiring. We have had quite a few flops too. Those two I remember being fun. Ds probably would have rather just eaten piles of junk, played in the snow, and recieved a mountain of very materialist plastic things wrapped all pretty. During the learning, he seemed engaged though :)

• Like 1

I spent the weekend putting together a loose list of things for my K (granddaughter), 1st (dd), and 5th graders.  We will be doing an advent calendar and a Jesse tree together.  Then for the Grinch, they will all be doing different activities.  My 5th grader will be doing activities like writing the story from Max's perspective or writing her own rhyming story while my granddaugther will be doing things like coloring in a 100s chart to reveal the Grinch.  My 1st grader will be doing things like Grinch copywork and learning about adjs by describing the Grinch.

I spent quite a bit of time browsing Pintarest for ideas and looking for free resources.  There are tons of free things out there.  FWIW, one fun thing we are going to do is make Grinch kabobs.  I started a thread hoping others would post some fun ideas, but no one responded.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/240180/grinch-kabobs/

Some of the other activities are built around Polar Express, Twas the Night Before Christmas, The Little Match Girl, and the Christmas Carol.

• Like 3

Oh I am sooo glad that I logged in here! I have been looking high and low for something to do for a Christmas Unit. I don't know why I didn't think to check Pinterest. But I'm loving having my 6th grade dd write a paper on Max's perspective! We will do Advent reading I found. Gosh, I only have a few minutes before I have to leave for work. I wonder how quickly I can search for more ideas! Thanks for this post! 

• Like 1