Menu

IEW - Huh?

IsabelC

Feeling stupid because I have read the IEW website and still can't seem to get my head around it. Is there some sort of "Idiot's Guide" to what items to buy?

I am assuming that all my kids could potentially work on the same level, since eldest is way 'behind' in writing, middle is a little behind and younger is 'ahead'. But there are so many different bits and pieces, I am thoroughly confused. Also I'm not clear on what the teacher/parent education materials are for. Could I get away without them because I have postgrad level writing skills myself? Or are they are about IEW pedagogical methodology rather than writing technique? 

Also, is it better to start part way through and take longer on any aspects that we might not have covered previously, or would it be preferable to start the kids from the very beginning and go through the 'too easy' parts at a faster speed? I'm not sure how basic it is at the start.

I have already sent an enquiry via the website, but still waiting for them to get back to me, so hoping someone here might be able to clarify please?

(I am keen to explore this program as a possibility, as I couldn't afford it before but now I have got some extra $ in the budget that could allow me to get it if I decide it would suit us.)

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 1

Have you seen the pathway chart?  It really helped me to make sense of everything.  Look at the link below...

http://iew.com/shop/shopping-resources/pathway

The main program is the Teaching Writing Structure and Style (TWSS) coupled with the Student Writing Intensive (SWI).  There are three different versions, based on grade/developmental level, not grade level and they are the same writing program.  The level is determined by content more than level of writing.  The program is essentially the same for all three levels, just presented with more advanced content for each level (although Level C does have more to it since that is for High School).  Level A (TWSS-A/SWI-A) is for elementary age children.  Level B is for Middle School.  Level C, as mentioned, is for High School level children.    Once your student completes this particular program, regardless of whether they did Level A, B, or C, they can then move on to the continuation program (which I can explain if you need me to).  

Now, lets say you have children in Elementary and Middle school.  What do you do?  Buy two different Levels?  No.  In your case it would probably make the most sense to simply buy TWSS/SWI-B.  The program is essentially the same, as I mentioned, but the reading selections that the students work from will be at more of a Middle School level.  The SWI-B materials will include several passages that the students will work from for writing practice but if you feel the passages are at too high a content/reading level for your youngest, you can still use the same program but have the youngest use a writing passage you select yourself from material you may already have at home or find on the internet.  

As for whether you need the teaching materials (which would be the TWSS part of the program) you may not.  Many use just the SWI part, which has DVDs addressing the students directly.  You would facilitate lessons but would not have to teach them (unless you choose to).  The SWI program is slightly shorter than the TWSS part but there is still plenty of material to cover.  Others use TWSS without SWI, watching the videos that are directed to the teacher, then teach the lessons themselves.  Some use both parts.  

I am currently co-facilitating an IEW based writing class and we decided to use mainly the SWI (even though we have the TWSS DVDs/materials available and I do watch them periodically).  It has worked well mainly using SWI.  The kids prefer to watch the videos for instruction and we just help where needed, make sure assignments are understood, everyone is working well or if not that we can figure out the disconnect and help them, plus work out pacing, etc.  

There are also theme books you can use in place of TWSS/SWI or after TWSS/SWI but it works better to also have TWSS/SWI to guide you on how to use the theme books with this program..  They assume that you are familiar with or are training yourself in the program while using the theme book.  However, some just do the theme book without the primary program.

Follow the chart (and the key that explains all the abbreviations) and it should make more sense...

:)

• Like 5

I didn't get the whole program. I bought each boy a theme-based writing book and got myself the teacher guide and taught from those books. I am comfortable with writing so I fouind it pretty easy to implement those books.

Here's the link to them: http://iew.com/taxonomy/term/18/?f%255B0%255D=im_field_category%3A18

No videos, no extra book. Just the workbooks for the boys and the teacher's guide for me. You'd need both. I didn't realize that IEW was more than those books the first year. I found out later that it was a huge and expensive program. But the theme-based writing books worked fine for us.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Wanted to add: I'm not saying it was better to do the theme-based writing books only. Just throwing that out as another option. I can't compare those to doing the whole program because I never did the whole program.

We did the books for 2 years and then it was enough. I like to shake things up with writing every 2 years or so, so that the boys are exposed to different styles of writing or learning. After 2 years, I felt they'd learned all we could from IEW's theme books, and I didn't want to pay for the entire program. I'm honestly not sure if the entire program is necessary if the teacher is comfortable with teaching writing. Some people are not comfortable at all with teaching writing and perhaps need more support.

• Like 1

I'd do the SWI-B. I could have lived without the videos for ME (I still got and watched them) but my daughter likes listening to Andrew over listening to me. I think she just gets tired listening to me so much! Plus I'm not "funny," just grim and overworked.

• Like 6

The thing with IEW is that there are many different things they offer, including reading analysis and grammar, etc.  It isn't just one writing program.  You don't have to do them all.  Not in the least.  If your student is starting out in writing (about 3rd grade is usually the best age level to begin the IEW main writing program but it can be started any time from 3rd grade up into High School), you can use the main program or a theme based program coupled with the instruction from the main program and then move to something else, as Garga did.  Or, if the main writing program works well for your children and you want to continue, many go on to the continuation program (Student Intensive Continuation Course), which goes into more depth and breadth.  It isn't required, but a lot of people find it adds tremendously to their child's writing. 

But IEW is not just those two programs.  They offer different programs for different needs/areas of interest/areas of focus.   Many find additional courses very worthwhile.  Some love The Elegant Essay.  Windows to the World and Teaching the Classics are also very popular.  These other programs can be used with students who have not done IEW.   They are separate things that can be used with any writing program.

IEW offers flexibility and different routes to take.  That makes it a bit more challenging when first trying to understand IEW, especially since most people when they first hear "IEW" think it is just one writing program.  It isn't.  There are many products offered by IEW.  IEW is actually the name of the parent company, not the name of the individual writing/reading/reading analysis/grammar programs they offer.  

The pathway chart shows a common way to use the IEW system but there are many ways to use their different offerings.  For grammar, Fix-It Grammar couples very well with the main IEW writing program but it can be used with any language arts program, not just IEW's main writing program or their continuation program or any of their other offerings.  DD and DS started Fix-It Grammar long before I decided to use the main IEW writing program.  It has worked very well here as a separate thing.

In other words, don't worry that  you are failing your kids if you don't plan to use every single IEW product listed.  That isn't how the system was designed.  Use what you find interesting and/or necessary.  Starting with the main writing program, if your students need a primary writing program, would probably be the most effective path, IMHO, but after that you can jump ship completely or explore many other things within the IEW family of offerings.  There are some real gems.  

• Like 3

I'd do the SWI-B. I could have lived without the videos for ME (I still got and watched them) but my daughter likes listening to Andrew over listening to me. I think she just gets tired listening to me so much! Plus I'm not "funny," just grim and overworked.

I agree.  SWI-B seems to make the most sense in your situation OP.  Or SWI-B coupled with a theme based program, but it isn't necessary unless you think the kids would respond well to a theme for the year in their writing or a theme based book would pair well with other subjects you are currently covering.

As for whether to get the DVDs for TWSS/SWI, we are using the videos for SWI far more than I am using the videos for TWSS.  The kids preferred listening to Andrew Pudewa over me (I have my kids plus a couple of others).  They are old enough they wanted a bit of independence, some separation.  And they find him funny.  We watch together but Andrew is doing the main teaching.  The kids laugh a lot and are learning.  I'm very glad I went ahead and got the DVDs for SWI.

I could have taught from the materials myself but hey, if the kids like watching the videos and are learning, why not?  It also gives me a chance to quietly go through helping where needed without being too busy actually teaching the material.  I have found that since I am the teacher in so many other things it is nice to be more of a facilitator in this.  I'm still in control of the situation and can add to or change things around as I feel the need.  I can also slow down or speed up as needed.  I'm just letting Andrew do the instruction (at the kids' request).

If you are wanting a primary writing program for your kids then go with SWI-B (and TWSS if you want more support for you) but I wouldn't worry about anything else in their large repertoire of offerings right now (unless you want a theme book).  The only other thing you might look at would be Fix-It Grammar if you wanted a grammar program that pairs well with the main writing program, only takes 15 minutes a day 4 days a week, and starts out very gently (but ramps up over time).  Everything else is  unnecessary right now, or not even appropriate yet.

• Like 1

This thread is helpful to me too because I am considering IEW. If you just get SWI and not TWSS it has everything you need to implement? The kids would learn what to do with the video and you can watch it with them and help? What benefits does getting TWSS offer? If the kids are learning from the video anyway how does it help the patent implement the program?

We just started early this year. I purchases Teaching Writing Structure and Style with Student Writing Intensive A. I received a ton of pdf's along with it that would make it really easy to use with varying ages. I agree that I would shoot for the middle and at least get Student Writing Intensive B and let him do the teaching.

Although I do love the TWSS as it teaches me how to help them. Writing has always been my weak subject and I have been looking for just this program forever I was just scared of the price. I could have saved a ton. I think both are so awesome ! I will be continuing with the program and already have SICC - A & B in my cart ! 

Edited by StartingOver

Thanks for the responses :)

I have decided to buy only the Student Writing Intensive (plus additional packets so each kid has their own binder to work in) for the time being and see how we go with that.  I have a few other resources for spelling and grammar that I want to continue with, as I didn't like the look of their spelling and grammar programs as much as I liked the main writing curriculum.

• Like 2

Following. I am interested in IEW, but it all seems overwhelming...DVDs, charts, themed writing...

It really isn't once you get the hang of it.  Honest.  The website is a bit challenging but that is why the chart was a HUGE help to me.  Find the basic grade level of your child then follow the flow chart.  There is a key at the top to explain the various abbreviations.  Here is the chart:

http://iew.com/sites/default/files/images/IEW_2016_Pathway.jpg

As mentioned up thread, IEW not a writing program, it is the parent company.  There are many products offered by the parent company for different needs.  There is one primary beginning writing program.  If that is what you need, focus on that.  I explain it a bit below...

1.  Main program presented specifically to train the teacher:  Teaching Writing Structure and Style (TWSS).  It has DVDs that will teach you to teach your kids but not everyone buys the DVDs (I found them helpful but ended up using the version below more).

2.  Main program presented specifically to the student:  Student Writing Intensive (SWI now SID).  Andrew Pudewa does the teaching, with you as facilitator. The DVDs for this program are specifically for the student but you can watch along with them and facilitate their learning.  

3.  If you want both options you buy TWSS/SWI together, now abbreviated as TWSID.

4.  You pick Level A for elementary age kids, Level B for Middle School kids or Level C for High School kids.  If you have both mid-upper elementary and Middle Schoolers then pick Level B and adjust writing resources as needed.  If you have Middle School and High School age students you can still pick Level B and adjust content for the High Schooler as needed.

5.  If you get the full SWI program it provides you with source material for your student to use to learn to write or if you want something that will tie in with something you are currently studying or you think your children would respond better to a consistent theme, you can use the main program alongside one of their theme books, such as Ancient History or Fables Myths and Fairy Tales or several other choices.

Other material is listed on the chart, such as Fix-It Grammar and SICC (Student Writing Continuation Course) and a dozen other things, but you don't have to use those.  Fix-It is for specific grammar instruction, if you want to use their Grammar program.  You don't have to.  SICC is the continuation course if you liked the primary program and want to continue to their next level of writing instruction.  The primary program, what most people start with, is what I listed above.  I hope this helps a bit.

IEW has a 100% money back guarantee if their program doesn't work for you.