Menu

Question about invitation - Adults only/not adults only

Ginevra

I think we have talked about this from the standpoint of issuing an invitation to adults only. But here's what I'm uncertain about:

I am considering having a Christmas party and inviting several couples we know. The thing is, I don't *care* whether or not only the couples come or if they bring kids, but OTOH, I am not making the party *because* I want people to bring their kids. I am not planning it AS a party where there will be kids, but I would not tell someone they absolutely cannot bring their kid(s). Only some of the families still have little kids; the majority will most likely not bring kids because they are teens or grown.

But how do I cover this in the invitation? Do I just make it a point to personally talk to those who have young kids and tell them it is up to them whether to bring kids or not? Do I just address it to Mr and Mrs Jones and assume they will either get a sitter or ask me directly about kids? Only I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable because they are uncertain.

*sigh* I think this is one readon I don't do parties often. I'm so worried I'm going to do the wrong thing I call it off before it begins.

If there were only a few families with kids and I didn't mind if the kids were there, I would address it to the "XXX Family" or to "Mr & Mrs XXX and family". That lets them know it's ok to attend with or without kids.

I also agree you don't have to make it a kids party just because you invite families. Some of the best parties we attended when our kids were small were grown up functions - my kids brought books or something quiet to play in the corner while the adults socialized. We all had fun.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 4

If there were only a few families with kids and I didn't mind if the kids were there, I would address it to the "XXX Family" or to "Mr & Mrs XXX and family". That lets them know it's ok to attend with or without kids.

I also agree you don't have to make it a kids party just because you invite families. Some of the best parties we attended when our kids were small were grown up functions - my kids brought books or something quiet to play in the corner while the adults socialized. We all had fun.

:iagree:   This is the easiest route providing you're not excluding anyone with kids from the "and family" address. 

I wouldn't say anything about kids.

Anyone who wants to ask, will, and you can tell them what you said here. Any anyone that doesn't ask will do whatever they prefer, which is what you want anyway.

"While the party will be mostly adults, you are welcome to bring your children if that makes your evening easier."  I would say this to everyone, not just those with youngers.  That way everyone is getting the same message - it's an adult party, but there may be kids there; if you bring kids, don't expect kid-friendly party activities so bring something for them to do if you think they'll need it.

• Like 8

"While the party will be mostly adults, you are welcome to bring your children if that makes your evening easier."  I would say this to everyone, not just those with youngers.  That way everyone is getting the same message - it's an adult party, but there may be kids there; if you bring kids, don't expect kid-friendly party activities so bring something for them to do if you think they'll need it.

I think this is good.  If you address the invitation to the adults only, they should not be confused, they should read it as "don't bring the kids."    

One thing though:  I don't think it fully conveys that there won't be kid-friendly activities.  Are you prepared to have a place / things to do for kids who come?   Or will you tell people, when/if  they respond, that you won't be providing things for the kids to do?  My experience has been that many people turn off their parenting at a party, expecting somehow that someone else will entertain and care for their kids.   (In my case, people have expected that my teen daughter would naturally be happy to tend to them.  Wrong!) 

Hope your party is great!

• Like 2

I would address it just to the adults.

Then inside, I'd say something like:  Children are welcome.

I think that's enough for people to know that they can come just as adults, but if they need to or really want to, they can bring their children.

• Like 1

I think we have talked about this from the standpoint of issuing an invitation to adults only. But here's what I'm uncertain about:

I am considering having a Christmas party and inviting several couples we know. The thing is, I don't *care* whether or not only the couples come or if they bring kids, but OTOH, I am not making the party *because* I want people to bring their kids. I am not planning it AS a party where there will be kids, but I would not tell someone they absolutely cannot bring their kid(s). Only some of the families still have little kids; the majority will most likely not bring kids because they are teens or grown.

But how do I cover this in the invitation? Do I just make it a point to personally talk to those who have young kids and tell them it is up to them whether to bring kids or not? Do I just address it to Mr and Mrs Jones and assume they will either get a sitter or ask me directly about kids? Only I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable because they are uncertain.

*sigh* I think this is one reason I don't do parties often. I'm so worried I'm going to do the wrong thing I call it off before it begins.

Just issue the invitation. Let people ask the question.

• Like 2

I typically assume that when invitations are extended to the family, and children are established as "welcomed" at the party, that the party will be kid-friendly. I don't just make this assumption about invitations from others - this also extends to when we host. If children are invited (and stating that they are welcome is, imo, inviting them) I think it's probably a good idea to have something for them to do, especially if most of your guests will not be bringing small children.

• Like 2