Menu

Can I thaw a turkey this way?

1GirlTwinBoys

We bought a 21 lb turkey on Friday and put in the fridge at 5:30 pm.  It's been in the fridge thawing but I really need it to be thawed on Weds so I can do a wet brine overnight.  I don't think it will be ready by then.  Is it ok to do a cold water thaw on Tuesday and then put back in the fridge to wet brine on Weds and cook on Thurs?  Or do you have to cook a turkey right after doing a cold water thaw?

I've never done a cold water thaw and just want to be extra careful. 

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

I shove the sucker in the sink with hot water for a few hours, turning it around as needed, until the innards are thawed enough that I can get the gut bag out. And then yes, I stick it in the pail with the brine recipe overnight, either in the fridge or in a cooler like Katie.

We have never, ever had even a hint of food poisoning, but he aware the USDA has heart attacks over people like me :D

Edited by Arctic Mama

I brine in a big 5 gallon drink cooler thing. I'd put it in even if it was still partly frozen and it will finish thawing in the brine. I normally add a bunch of ice to the brine in the cooler, but you may not need the ice if it is still partially frozen. 

This is exactly how I do it - in a cooler and with the ice. The turkey finishes thawing in the brine.

I shove the sucker in the sink with hot water for a few hours, turning it around as needed, until the innards are thawed enough that I can get the gut bag out. And then yes, I stick it in the pail with the brine recipe overnight, either in the fridge or in a cooler like Katie.

We have never, ever had even a hint of food poisoning, but be aware the USDA has heart attacks over people like me :D

You and me both! I'd thaw it in the sink in cool water without a second thought!

• Like 1

I have a 13lb turkey that I was going to take out of the freezer on Friday but didn't get around to it until last night. I'm going to put it in a water bath in my sink for a few hours this morning to speed things up and then back in the frig until the brining on Wednesday.

Good luck.