Menu

Does BA have review built in?

displace

So, I have BA 3, we've gone through information book 1 (not practice), and I don't have the future practice books to check if BA does built in review of concepts. Does anyone know? If not, is there a quick and easy review for third grade that's helpful (live Evan moor)?

TIA!

No, not really.

One thing you can do though - when you're done with a book, or maybe a bit later, print out the Are You Ready? test on the BA website for the next book.

That's a great idea. For some reason I thought they only had tests for the grade level. If/when we leave PS we might be able to skip something? Doubtful, though 🙄

I actually think it kind of does. Frequently we come to practice problems that use previously taught skills to solve. It isn't glaringly obvious review but I think it is there. Others might disagree or need more review of certain topics but it isn't completely devoid of review in my opinion.

• Like 5

Skills build on each other so there is some sort of built in review in a sense.  There is no systematic, consistent, targeted review.  That is why we only used Beast as a supplement and had to go with CLE for more review in a very systematic fashion.  DD doesn't retain anything in math without a lot of review.  

Are you needing more consistent, targeted review on some sort of schedule or do you just want some way to periodically confirm that he is still remembering previously covered concepts?

• Like 5

Skills build on each other so there is some sort of built in review in a sense. There is no systematic, consistent, targeted review. That is why we only used Beast as a supplement and had to go with CLE for more review in a very systematic fashion. DD doesn't retain anything in math without a lot of review.

Are you needing more consistent, targeted review on some sort of schedule or do you just want some way to periodically confirm that he is still remembering previously covered concepts?

Usually we need just periodic review after mastery. Sometimes mastery takes a lot of work. I'm concerned about multiplication facts as we are still working on them, even addition facts sometimes take some thought. I'm considering if an every few day quick review would help. Kumon is good, we tend to use it for mastery in some difficult areas. I was considering Evan moor daily math (but only 2x per week).

• Like 1

For math facts, DD did better if at the beginning of each week she filled out a multiplication chart and used that for a lot of math (it helped her see the patterns and she got a lot faster at skip counting so while she was trying to solidify math facts she had something to fall back on), and what helped a LOT was using the CLE flash cards because the related division was on the other side.  We would go through the flash cards (after using manipulatives so she could SEE a particular math fact family) for the multiplication side and then flip them over and do the division side.  Seeing how the two were directly related, not just isolated numbers, gave her brain something to anchor to.  We would work on one group each week (say the 6 times tables/6 division tables).  DD has dyscalculia so not all facts have ever been memorized but she is super fast now at skip counting the facts she doesn't have memorized and a lot of facts finally fell into place using the above method.

• Like 1

We're almost done with 3A & 3B and I'm finding that I need to supplement to keep other skills fresh. We used CLE before and it was TOO much review but BA doesn't have enough. I've debated about going back to CLE since I really like it, but DS prefers BA and math was a battle with him when we used CLE. I do have Evan-Moor Teacher Filebox and have used the Daily Math Practice as review - but it's really too easy.

I found my older DS' CLE math light units in a box yesterday along with the CLE teacher guides, so I'm thinking of picking stuff out of there and doing a daily oral review. 

• Like 1

There IS some built in review, but it's scarce.  For example, there is a review of comparing fractions (taught in 3D) at the very beginning of 4C about adding and subtracting fractions with like denominators, then there's a review of adding/subtracting with like denominators and multiplying/dividing a fraction by a whole number (4C and 4D) at the very beginning of 5B's chapter on adding/subtracting with different denominators and multiplying/dividing a fraction by a fraction.  The practice pages actually say "review,"  but there are only like 2-5 pages of review out of the 30+ practice pages in each of those chapters.  And, yeah, most chapters don't begin with a review.  I agree with others that the chapters and books build on each other and you will often see previous concepts worked into questions about new material, though I've noticed some concepts that have not been built upon or recycled.  Some things are taught and then you never see them again -- at least up  through 5B.  I've no experience with 5C and on yet.

• Like 1

We're almost done with 3A & 3B and I'm finding that I need to supplement to keep other skills fresh. We used CLE before and it was TOO much review but BA doesn't have enough. I've debated about going back to CLE since I really like it, but DS prefers BA and math was a battle with him when we used CLE. I do have Evan-Moor Teacher Filebox and have used the Daily Math Practice as review - but it's really too easy.

I found my older DS' CLE math light units in a box yesterday along with the CLE teacher guides, so I'm thinking of picking stuff out of there and doing a daily oral review.

Cut out a lot of the review. Do new material from two lessons and select review from the second lesson. There is so much review in CLE. Some kids need it. Some kids need way less. CLE is easy to adjust.

• Like 1

I agree with the consensus. There is some review, not a lot, and it doesn't look like review. For example, at the end of the Distributive Property chapter you do some perimeter/area and perfect square stuff again - but literally only a handful of problems.

I have my kids go through the reviews in the Singapore textbooks, and if they get stuck, we review the topic with the Singapore book - this doesn't usually take long.

I also have my ds who is still working on multiplication do a quick drill app before we start.

I am really happy with BA. Dd (still working on the level 5 stuff) took her first ever maths test this year - no prep - and got a distinction. This test was an Australia wide, optional (ie, self-selecting - schools generally enter their best students) competition. Her problem solving score was twice the national average. She's bright, but certainly not gifted. I credit BA, amongst other things.

Edited by LMD
  • Like 1

I agree with the consensus. There is some review, not a lot, and it doesn't look like review. For example, at the end of the Distributive Property chapter you do some perimeter/area and perfect square stuff again - but literally only a handful of problems.

I have my kids go through the reviews in the Singapore textbooks, and if they get stuck, we review the topic with the Singapore book - this doesn't usually take long.

I also have my ds who is still working on multiplication do a quick drill app before we start.

I am really happy with BA. Dd (still working on the level 5 stuff) took her first ever maths test this year - no prep - and got a distinction. This test was an Australia wide, optional (ie, self-selecting - schools generally enter their best students) competition. Her problem solving score was twice the national average. She's bright, but certainly not gifted. I credit BA, amongst other things.

Wow! Congrats!

I think I'll add in drill activities for what we need and some review. Using unit tests from Singapore sounds like a good idea, too.

• Like 2