Menu

Please tell me your best advice on printers and ink!

mum

We need a new printer. We really want one that will work with only a black ink cartridge. Our current one requires ALL of the colors to be in and have ink in, or it won't print. It seems that the only printers that are truly monochrome are laser printers, which are much more expensive.

So,

1. What printer that will print with only black cartridge in would you recommend?

2. Have you seen any good deals on printers?

3. Where do you buy ink at a good price?

Thank you, thank you!

• Like 1

We went with a laser printer, Brother from Staples.  I'm thrilled with it.  We bought it in July or August and are still on the ink that came with the printer which was just a sample cartridge.   I'm sure by now I'd have replaced our old ink jet at least once!  It was definitely worth paying a little more off the top and saving on ink in the long run for us.  It is also way faster than our old ink jet was.

dh and I are using HP Instant Ink service (him for work, me for home), and it's much cheaper than buying the ink on your own. Basically, you pay a certain amount for so many pages per month. If you go over, you pay a very reasonable overage fee. If you don't use all of your pages, so many carry over to the next month. Your printer tallies up your pages. They always send you ink before you need it, and an envelope to send the used cartridges back. 

I really like it, because I do like to have the option of printing in color, and with the service you always have all kinds of ink on hand. Printing a full-color page or photos does not cost anymore than printing a page of black and white text. It's a set amount per month. 

I have the HP 6830 printer, dh has the HP 8610. We like both of them, both were under $100 and include copy/scan.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r