Menu

Labor laws for teens

teachermom2834

I was surprised to learn that my homeschooled teen had very few limitations on how many hours/how late at night he could legally work. I remember growing up in a different state having a limit of 28 hours per week and no more than 4 hours on a school day.

Not complaining, exactly, as it works for my ds and his employer. But he will be working full time hours from now through the holidays. He is doing well in his two DE classes so it seems ok. I am mostly very proud of him for handling it all but part of me feels like it is really a lot for a 16 yo.

In Georgia, ages 16 and 17 have no restrictions. Under age 16 teens cannot work while school is in session, and that includes homeschooled students. No more than 4 hours on a school night, 8 hours on a nonschool day, or more than 40 hours in a nonschool week. They can't work between the hours of 9:00pm and 6:00am.

Our state only limits hours and times for 14-15yos. I started working at Walmart at 16 (in 1999) and my only age-related restrictions were that I had to take breaks every 2 hours (company rule, not state) and I could not load or operate the cardboard baler. I think I had to leave on school nights by 10:30, but that was also a company rule, not state.

DH worked at Target in the back room, so he worked really late/really early shifts, though not in school nights. We both had full-time hours through the summers and breaks. However, my pay was better and I didn't have to wear dizzying red clothes, ha!