Menu

Book series recommendations for DS14

TeenagerMom

Can I tag along on this? My almost 14 yo GIRL was asking for a new series yesterday, so don't hold back if you have series your girls like too! She loves Harry Potter, liked Hunger Games more than Divergent, isn't really looking for more dystopia, wants a series so she knows what book to read next. Thanks.

My dd liked:

The City of Ember and the others in that series

Anything by Shannon Hale

Anything by Blue Balliot

Stargirl and Love, Stargirl by Spinelli

Stardust and Coraline by Neil Gaiman

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairlyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente (and all the others that follow this one)

The Razorland Trilogy (Enclave, Outpost, Horde by Ann Aguirre; these have what are basically zombies and some violence but not too bad and I enjoyed them a lot.)

The Partials Sequence by Dan Wells (Partials, Fragments, Ruins)

The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson (On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness is #1)

Legend, Prodigy, Champion all by Marie Lu  (She has a newer series, too, that I'm excited to try starting with The Young Elites)

Seraphina (there might be 1-2 more?) by Rachel Hartman (These are about a world where humans and dragons live together)

Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Tommy Black series by Jake Kerr (magic alternative history...this might be a little young but would suit Harry Potter fans maybe)

The Miss Peregrine books by Ransom Riggs

*Edited this to add Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (This is the only book series my book "hating" middle dd ever read!  lol Main character is 12, so might be a bit young. My kids read all over the place in age recommendations, though!)

Several of these would probably qualify as dystopian, but they are all unique, IMO.

Edited by 6packofun
  • Like 3

The Gatekeepers series (5 books) by Anthony Horowitz. The epic battle of good vs evil starts with Raven's Gate. From Goodreads:

He always knew he was different.
First there were the dreams.
Then the deaths began.

When Matt Freeman gets into trouble with the police, he's sent to be fostered in Yorkshire. It's not long before he senses there's something wrong with his guardian: with the whole village.

Then Matt learns about the Old Ones and begins to understand just how he is different. But no one will believe him; no one can help.

There is no proof. There is no logic. There is just the Gate.

Can I tag along on this? My almost 14 yo GIRL was asking for a new series yesterday, so don't hold back if you have series your girls like too! She loves Harry Potter, liked Hunger Games more than Divergent, isn't really looking for more dystopia, wants a series so she knows what book to read next. Thanks.

If she is into fantasy, my dd's all time favorite author is David Eddings - The Belgariad, the Mallorean, the Elenium and the Tamuli.  That's 20 books, plus a couple of supplements (Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress). That could keep her busy for awhile!

• Like 1

Thanks! With an open tab for the library, I've just place four books on hold. We'll see if dd takes to any of them. I think of my older dd as the reader, but this dd will read if she gets caught up in the story. She does like Miss Peregrine--both dd's have read some but not all of them, so I've got a full set for them for Christmas. These I put on hold: City of Ember, Stargirl, Belgariad, and I Am Four.

• Like 1