Menu

Just got back from an Obama rally

or talk or whatever you call it. It was GREAT!! The kids really wanted to go despite the rain. This was our first experience with political invovlement, but it was fun and electrifying.

Obama is an amazingly eloquent speaker with a lot of charm and humor as well as improvisional skills. At one point the crowd began boo-ing about something related to his opponent and he just said calmly: "Don't boo. Just go vote!". There you go.

He spoke a lot about this being about US not HIM (or them), that we the people were the ones in focus.

He came off as really just being a public servant who has been and still is willing to work hard and tirelessly for the general public. He has no air around him whatsoever, but is very charismatic and down to earth at the same time. He has a great sense of humour which I like.

We missed shaking hands with him, but my twins got their pictures taken (and got filmed) after they wrote in the pebbles "Obama '08" on a spur of the moment. You'd think they got brainwahsed beforehand. It was really fun when everyone began coming over and taking their pictures and when the papers came!!

Another funny was that there was a teenage celebrity there. Don't know is name, but he appears in the ad for Apple computers and Mac's. Now get this; the place we were at was called Mack's Apples.... Get it? The guy in the ad for Mac and apple at a place called Mack's Apples??

Anyway. We are beside tired. Exhausted.

Nadia

That's awesome!!! Obama and Biden had a rally here in Fredericksburg, Virginia a few weeks ago (that's about 20 minutes away from my house). I wanted to go and take my kids, but we had a birthday party to go to and we weren't able to.

Turns out that it rained like crazy throughout the rally..and still 20,000+ people showed up!

Rain and all, I wish I could've been there!!! :D

or talk or whatever you call it. It was GREAT!! The kids really wanted to go despite the rain. This was our first experience with political invovlement, but it was fun and electrifying.

Obama is an amazingly eloquent speaker with a lot of charm and humor as well as improvisional skills. At one point the crowd began boo-ing about something related to his opponent and he just said calmly: "Don't boo. Just go vote!". There you go.

He spoke a lot about this being about US not HIM (or them), that we the people were the ones in focus.

He came off as really just being a public servant who has been and still is willing to work hard and tirelessly for the general public. He has no air around him whatsoever, but is very charismatic and down to earth at the same time. He has a great sense of humour which I like.

We missed shaking hands with him, but my twins got their pictures taken (and got filmed) after they wrote in the pebbles "Obama '08" on a spur of the moment. You'd think they got brainwahsed beforehand. It was really fun when everyone began coming over and taking their pictures and when the papers came!!

Another funny was that there was a teenage celebrity there. Don't know is name, but he appears in the ad for Apple computers and Mac's. Now get this; the place we were at was called Mack's Apples.... Get it? The guy in the ad for Mac and apple at a place called Mack's Apples??

Nadia

I'm in a "safe" state and so I probably won't get to see Obama in person unless I head on over to Virginia one of these times. Or, hopefully, I'll get to see him on January 20, 2009 in Washington, DC.

Senator Hillary Clinton came to our little town, and our youngest dd insisted that we haul over there (in the rain, lol, what is it about rallies in the rain?).

Dh is a staunch Republican, I'm a disillusioned and not properly registered independent. Kids are too young to know better. :)

It was one of the best things we've ever done as a family. The atmosphere was just so amazing.

And, even though I am the MOST apathetic person I know IRT politics, I was actually a little sad when Senator Clinton didn't win the nomination. I think seeing her in person made a difference.

The best part was being able to tell all my super-conservative, right-wing Republicans that I had spent a morning at a Clinton rally and observe the look on their face as they tried to think of something nice to say. :lol:

Nadia

Yay! I watched that speech. Was it raining hard? I couldn't tell from the television. Gorgeous foliage. Wonderful venue.

when I was a young teen, we lived in Oregon and Senator Robert Kennedy (I guess this would have been in 1968) came thru our town on a whistle stop. That is when the candidate is on a train and the trains stop at all the small towns and the candidates give speechs from the back of the train. Anyway, my friend and I were right at the railing of the train and Sen. Kennedy actually talked to us and shook our hands. We were so excited and then just a few days later Kennedy went to Calif and was assinated (sp) and I was about in shock. I had been 10 years old when Pres. Kennedy was killed and I could not believe it was happening again and to someone I had actually met.