Menu

Oregon Coast - where to stay

KS_

We're planning a trip next June - will be heading from Idaho, through Oregon, down the coast and into California.  The first stop in Oregon is going to be in the Multnomah/Mt Hood area, and then my ds really wants to see the Redwoods, so we're planning on staying overnight in that area.  What would be a good place in between those 2 for another overnight (or 2 - I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have in each area yet)?  We'll be traveling with an RV and pets, so will need an RV campground.  There are so many places I want to stop, but as dh has told me, I'd need like 3 weeks to do everything I want to do and we don't have that much time (unless I take the kids by myself lol).  So some help narrowing it down would be very good.

Thanks! :)

Oregon state parks are awesome. Two of our favorites are Fort Stevens and South Beach. Fort Stevens is very far north, so it doesn't really get you closer to CA, but if you want to see Lewis and Clark stuff (their wintering spot, Fort Clatsop, is near by) it is great. And there is a real shipwreck on the beach. South Beach is down by Newport, so closer to CA. It has bike trails and great beach access. Lots of people also like Honeyman a little further south which has a nice warm lake for swimming (the ocean is too cold to swim in here--we only get our ankles wet). Really you'll probably be happy with any of the parks, so it's okay to just choose what fits your itinerary.

Thanks for the input!  As to booking early - it's one reason why I'm trying to narrow things down now, so I can get stuff booked and not be disappointed.  I'm used to having to book early - living near Yellowstone, I always booked the following summer trip right after we got home from that summer's trip.  I tried to get an overnight at Old Faithful Inn for June, but it's already too late (I do not want to take the RV into the park - the kids and I always stayed at the Inn and it was a special tradition - but we'll just do a day trip this year).

We've stayed at Honeyman state park in Florence. It was nice and there are dunes and a lake that you can rent boats on. I don't know how it compares to other places. There are some pretty economically depressed towns along the Oregon coast. But it's still a beautiful area.

• Like 1

We've stayed at Honeyman state park in Florence. It was nice and there are dunes and a lake that you can rent boats on. I don't know how it compares to other places. There are some pretty economically depressed towns along the Oregon coast. But it's still a beautiful area.

Sandboarding on the dunes at Honeyman would be great for teens! Or renting dune buggies.