Menu

Physically slow?

ReadingMama1214

Dd is going to be 5 soon. She's hit all of the physical milestones on normal time (balances, kicks a ball, throws overhand, starting to pump herself on the swing, etc.) but she's overall pretty slow. Mainly with walking and running. I'd call her running more of a jog and she is definitely slower at running and walking than her peers. She's physically cautious. Won't do slides, climb rock walls at playgrounds, etc. she occasionally branches out and will do these and can. As an infant she had minor torticollis (sp?) and somewhat flat feet. She saw PT for an eval and they said she didn't need therapy. Gave us some exercises to do at home. They didn't even recommend getting arch inserts for her shoes. Is being slow something we should bring up? Her 2.5yo brother is significantly faster than she is. She struggles to keep up with our normal walking pace unless we slow it down significantly and we aren't fast walkers.

My dd8 used to be very slow, especially on stairs.  A few years ago we took her to an eye doctor for a check up.  It turns out that she has very poor vision.  She was slow because she couldn't see much of anything.

Just something else to consider.

• Like 3

My dd8 used to be very slow, especially on stairs. A few years ago we took her to an eye doctor for a check up. It turns out that she has very poor vision. She was slow because she couldn't see much of anything.

Just something else to consider.

That's good to know. Her vision is pretty good. She can read signs that are a good distance away and reads closely as well.

Yes, find an OT that works with children. One that does dry skin brushing and "listening" with them. It sounds kind of like hooey, but I've seen the difference it makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're actually about to start doing dry brushing at home for some sensory things. I'm trying to get an OT eval for some sensory things, but it's been a bit difficult. Getting it for the physical slowness may be a bit easier and a good way to get in.

I will put out another possibility. My DD who has ADHD and some mild anxiety and sensory issues is slow like that and always has been. She cannot do anything quickly even when I am prompting her to "hurry". It think it is a combination of no sense of time passing, absolutely no interest in physical activity, and anxiety. She is very, very quick to give up on any physically activity.

I did see big improvements from participating in tae kwon do. She attended a place that had a very good reputation for their special needs program. She was in the "regular" program, but the staff was great about noticing when she needed extra support and motivation. The first time she had to break a board was painful for me to watch, but they did not let her give up, and she eventually did it. That boost of confidence (and the general confidence building of tae Kwon do) was wonderful for her. Which reminds me that I need to encourage her to look for a program in her college town.

• Like 2

I will put out another possibility. My DD who has ADHD and some mild anxiety and sensory issues is slow like that and always has been. She cannot do anything quickly even when I am prompting her to "hurry". It think it is a combination of no sense of time passing, absolutely no interest in physical activity, and anxiety. She is very, very quick to give up on any physically activity.

I did see big improvements from participating in tae kwon do. She attended a place that had a very good reputation for their special needs program. She was in the "regular" program, but the staff was great about noticing when she needed extra support and motivation. The first time she had to break a board was painful for me to watch, but they did not let her give up, and she eventually did it. That boost of confidence (and the general confidence building of tae Kwon do) was wonderful for her. Which reminds me that I need to encourage her to look for a program in her college town.

That's something to look into. She's pretty cautious physically. She is in ballet class once a week and does well with it. She's definitely on par with her peers.

Is she slow with non-physical things? Dd does normal pace for everything else, but is just slow physically. Even her running isn't fast.

Has she ever had a neurology appointment?

She saw a neurologist at 9 months and had an MRI done. She had benign external hydrocephalus as a baby and toddler. It's excess fluid in the space between the frontal part of the brain and skull. As opposed to the threatening form of hydrospalus that has fluid inside of the brain. But that was the only time she saw neurology. The hydrocephalus resolves on its own and she followed up with her pedi.

She saw a neurologist at 9 months and had an MRI done. She had benign external hydrocephalus as a baby and toddler. It's excess fluid in the space between the frontal part of the brain and skull. As opposed to the threatening form of hydrospalus that has fluid inside of the brain. But that was the only time she saw neurology. The hydrocephalus resolves on its own and she followed up with her pedi.

I just did a google search and found an article that gross motor skills are affected by this condition. In most cases, they resolve. However, a minority of kids continue to have problems.

If you haven't seen a neurologist since she was a baby, I would find a good pediatric one, maybe at a children's hospital.

I wouldn't worry but it might bring you peace of mind to have this question answered.

I just did a google search and found an article that gross motor skills are affected by this condition. In most cases, they resolve. However, a minority of kids continue to have problems.

If you haven't seen a neurologist since she was a baby, I would find a good pediatric one, maybe at a children's hospital.

I wouldn't worry but it might bring you peace of mind to have this question answered.

I've actually been wondering about that with the sensory things as well. A friend who is an OT mentioned a possible connection

We did see the neuro at the children's hospital and they're excellent. If we got a referral it would be to them again.

Thanks! I searched a little too, but hadn't found that. I'll have to look some more.

I've actually been wondering about that with the sensory things as well. A friend who is an OT mentioned a possible connection

We did see the neuro at the children's hospital and they're excellent. If we got a referral it would be to them again.

Thanks! I searched a little too, but hadn't found that. I'll have to look some more.

https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/322357

I have sensory kids, too, and asked similar questions about if things that happened early on ever caused it. There aren't usually easy answers.

Hugs

I'd get an OT eval. If she's just starting to write, get them to check for dysgraphia as well.

She's been writing for over a year now and writing/drawing is one of her primary activities. I haven't seen any issues there. She writes well for her age and draws well. And has excellent fine motor skills. How else would dysgraphia present?

She's been writing for over a year now and writing/drawing is one of her primary activities. I haven't seen any issues there. She writes well for her age and draws well. And has excellent fine motor skills. How else would dysgraphia present?

My DD did too until around 7, then it was obvious her writing was suddenly so much worse than her peers. She didn't have any problems with tiny arts and crafts stuff. I don't understand it completely, but I thought I would mention the possibility. She also has ADHD and dyslexia and has always been clumsy. OT helped a bit. She learned how to ride a bike after OT. She still runs slowly and awkwardly (at 13).

My DD did too until around 7, then it was obvious her writing was suddenly so much worse than her peers. She didn't have any problems with tiny arts and crafts stuff. I don't understand it completely, but I thought I would mention the possibility. She also has ADHD and dyslexia and has always been clumsy. OT helped a bit. She learned how to ride a bike after OT. She still runs slowly and awkwardly (at 13).

That's interesting. Dd is pretty advanced fine motor wise and has been since infancy, so I've never thought about that. I will look into it for sure. We've had a hard time getting an OT evaluation and I've heard the wait list is several months long. But, getting a referral from neurology might be easier. Hopefully we're able to see both.

Could be dyspraxia, maybe? OT Eval can test speed of motor skills, strength. Neuropsych can also check gait, coordination, reflexes, etc.

Thanks. I just looked up dyspraxia and she doesn't have any of the symptoms. Not typically clumsy, does puzzles, logos and building toys, has been eating with a fork and spoon since 12-14months old, etc. I'll definitely have them look into it though if we do get the appointment.

Proprioceptive motor disorder? The sensors in the joints, muscles, etc. don't communicate well with the brain so there is lower awareness of where the parts of the body are relative to each other and where they are in space. Symptoms include:

• Sensory Seeking (pushes, writes too hard, plays rough, bangs or shakes feet while sitting, chews, bites, and likes tight clothes)
  • Poor Motor Planning/Control & Body Awareness (difficulty going up and down stairs, bumps into people and objects frequently, difficulty riding a bike)
  • Poor Postural Control (slumps, unable to stand on one foot, needs to rest head on desk while working)
Edited by Kalmia

That's something to look into. She's pretty cautious physically. She is in ballet class once a week and does well with it. She's definitely on par with her peers.

Is she slow with non-physical things? Dd does normal pace for everything else, but is just slow physically. Even her running isn't fast.

My DD is slow with most any task that requires any physical effort. She never learned to ride a two wheeler because I could never get her to peddal fast enough. Any chores at home are agonizing for me because I want to constantly tell her to work faster. I have to just leave the room and let her do it on her own. She is also very slow when she eats. If we go out, she always has to take her food home to finish later. I joke (not to her)that she drives like a little old lady, so I never have to worry about her driving too fast.

Running? She was always at the back. There was no making her go faster.