Menu

A Question about Reporting Assets on FAFSA:

northcoast

The question is: who's been paying the taxes on the interest?

If it is a significant asset and you are a joint owner, it benefits you to declare the account as a parent asset rather than a student asset.

Student assets over the allowance are assessed more heavily than parent assets in the financial aid formulas.

Edited by JanetC
  • Like 1

Are you talking about the student whose FAFSA you are completing or another child? If it's another child, and it's their money, I don't report it. It isn't money available for tuition; my name is only on it because the child is a minor. If it's the student on the FAFSA, consider what a pp said about the student's assets being factored in more heavily. :D

I report as of the day I file the FAFSA, and agree that the kids' accounts depend on who is paying the taxes on them. 

Thanks, that is helpful!  I guess I need to get this thing finished before next payday when the checking account is almost empty.  :)

I am talking about another child with a passbook savings account.  The interest isn't enough to report for taxes.  

Thanks all for the helpful answers!

Thanks, that is helpful!  I guess I need to get this thing finished before next payday when the checking account is almost empty.   :)

I am talking about another child with a passbook savings account.  The interest isn't enough to report for taxes.  

Thanks all for the helpful answers!

Yeah, I timed it after bills and paid a few things ahead from savings. 

I would think that if you are not including the interest in your interest earnings on your taxes, then it's the child's income--not yours. Don't report it at all if it's not yours and not the student for whom you are doing the FAFSA.

It depends on the financial situation, but if a student might qualify for a Pell Grant and the parents have assets beyond the protected allowance, it can make a difference (probably in the range of about $26 for every thousand the parent has over the allowance, though it can depend, and $200 for every thousand the student has--no protected allowance). It can be worth looking at the EFC formula worksheets and tables.

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 3