Menu

Help--I can crochet, but I'm afraid of anything other than a scarf!

I can crochet--I can do every type of stitch I've ever seen, I can do shells, I've done complicated everything--as long as it is on a scarf. I've never done anything else, and, well, I figure my fam and friends might have enough scarves from me by now :D.

I am scared of rounds (I don't know why, but they scare me), I seem to add to rows, then make them smaller--they usually even out by the end of the scarf, but if I don't count every single row, my scarves are wavy, and I've never known why, and I would love to make some really nice things this year.

Help???

Mom...with just a single/double crochet stitch you can make some really nice house shoes! You could make them as gifts for those college fans using their team colors...soft warm ones for those older family members who get cold feet when they sleep....

Make a single stitch chain as long as the foot (I usually add about 4 chains past that)..then you're going to do the double crochet alongside the outside of that first chain all the way to the end...then at the end of that line chain stitch two additional to make it around the corner and continue double stitching around....oh! that sounds awful! I'm soo bad at explaining it! I'll try and post some pics on here later to show you step by step! :)

Tara

Thank ALL of you, I do appreciate it!

Here is the pattern I've wanted to make for my dd for two years, but I'm afraid to try (it adjusts up ;)):

Lacy Shells Poncho

Designed by Chelle Grissam

Level: Beginner

Materials

3 oz Optimum 100% Wool Yarn for Infants Poncho

5 oz Optimum 100% Wool Yarn for Childs Poncho

8 oz Optimum 100% Wool Yarn for Adult Poncho

Or any Worsted Weight Yarn

Size US K10.5 (6.50 MM) crochet hook

Measuring Tape for Head Size

US Stitch Abbreviations

Sl st = slip stitch

Ch = chain

Sc = single crochet

Dc = double crochet

Trc = treble crochet

Sp = space

Beg. = beginning

Rnd = round

US Stitches to Know

Treble Crochet (trc): Yarn over hook twice, insert

hook in stitch indicated, yarn over and draw up loop,

(yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook) 3 times

Treble Crochet V-Stitch: Trc, ch 2, Trc

Treble Crochet Shell Stitch: 2 Trc, ch 2, 2 Trc

To start: Measure childs or adults head around the forehead (example: 19 ½”), then add 1” to the

head measurement (example: for 20 ½” total). Make your starting chain that length while pulling

down slightly (stretching) on your chain to measure against measuring tape. Count the number of

chains you make, your starting chain must be divisible by 3 (example: 63, not 62 or 61). Join to

first ch to make a large ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 5 (counts as first dc plus ch 2), skip 2 ch, (dc in the next ch, ch 2, skip 2 ch) around.

Join to 3rd ch of beg. ch 5.

Rnd 2: Ch 6 (counts as first trc plus ch 2), trc in same stitch, (skip next 2 ch, trc v-stitch in next

dc) around. Join to 4th ch of beg. ch 6.

Rnd 3: Sl st in next ch 2 sp, ch 4, (trc, ch 2, 2 trc) in same space, trc shell stitch in next ch sp and

in each ch sp around. Join to 4th ch of beg. ch 4.

Rnd 4: Sl st in next trc and in next ch 2 sp, ch 4, (trc, ch 2, 2 trc) in same space, trc shell stitch in

next ch sp and in each ch sp around. Join to 4th ch of beg. ch 4.

Repeat Rnd 4 until poncho measures length you need.

Last Rnd: Ch 1, sc in same stitch as joining, skip next trc, 6 trc in next ch 2 space, skip next 2 trc,

(sc in next trc, skip next trc, 6 trc in next ch 2 sp, skip next 2 trc) around. Join to first sc.

Fasten Off. Weave in ends.

Lacy Shells Hat

Size H Hook for 18-19” head

Size I Hook for 19 1/2-21” head

Size J Hook for 21 1/2- 23” head

Chain 4, join with a slip stitch to first chain to form a ring

Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here on out), work 11 dc’s inside ring. Join to top chain of beginning

ch 3 ~ 12 dc’s made

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same stitch as joining, work 2 dc’s in each dc around. Join ~ 24 dc’s made

Rnd 3: Ch 3, work 2 dc’s in next dc, (dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc) around. Join ~ 36 dc’s made

Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in next dc, 2 dc’s in next dc, (dc in each of the next 2 dc’s, work 2 dc’s in next dc)

around. Join ~ 48 dc’s made

Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in each of the next 2 dc’s, 2 dc’s in next dc, (dc in each of the next 3 dc’s, work 2

dc’s in next dc) around. Join ~ 60 dc’s made

Rnds 6-9: Ch 3, dc in each dc around. Join ~ 60 dc’s made

Rnd 10: Ch 3, dc in same stitch as joining, chain 1, work 2 more dc’s in same stitch as joining, ch

1, skip next 4 dc’s, [work (2 dc, chain 1, 2 dc) in next dc, ch 1, skip next 4 dc’s] around. Join ~ 12

shells made

Rnds 11-12: Slip stitch in next dc, slip stitch in next chain space, Ch 3, dc in same space, chain 1,

2 dc’s in same space, ch 1, [work (2 dc, chain 1, 2 dc) in next chain 2 space, ch 1] around. Join ~

12 shells made

Rnd 13: Ch 1, sc in same stitch as joining, work 1 sc in each dc and each space around. Join to

first sc. ~ 72 sc’s made.

Rnd 14: Ch 1, sc in same stitch as joining and in each sc around. Join

Rnd 15: Ch 1, sc in same stitch as joining, ch 1, working backwards sc or crab stitch, skip next sc

to the right, (sc in next sc, ch 1, skip next sc) around. Join to first sc.

Fasten Off. Weave in Ends.

I know this looks easy, but I am afraid of it because of the rounds! Last year I made this amazing scarf for my dd, it had these really complex stitches, and had these curlique tassles, so great, I had no prob with that, but I'm so scared of doing a joining stitch! Any help would be really appreciated! And any advice on how not to add or drop stitches? I seem to have trouble telling where the last stitch of a row is.

THanks!

As far as telling where a round ends, I would suggest getting something called stitch markers. They are little ring things that you put in a spot to help you keep track of that.

If you tell me in particular what you are having trouble with as far as going in the round, maybe I can help. I suggest you just go for it. I have gotten quite fearless with the things I have been attempting with knitting. You just have to jump in and try. What's the worst that happens? You rip it out and start again. I have done that. I lived to tell about it. It was a learning experience. And I suspect I will have to do that again some day.

Also, try to be meticulous with your counting. Make a little chart if you have to. I do that. I check off each row after I have counted to make sure I am on track.

See if your library has the book Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. She has a lot of good suggestions on how to read patterns and how to figure out if a pattern will work for you.

One this she suggest is writing out the pattern on index cards, one card for each row, and in real English instead of crochet talk.:) I made my first hat a few weeks ago and tried that technique. It was tedious to write out, but it made a big difference when I was crocheting. I was able to do one card, put it to the back of the pack, do the next card, etc.

Stitch markers are a good idea, too. I like the ones that look like little plastic safety pins. If you get the rings be sure they are "split rings" with an opening. The ones that are whole circles are for knitting, they just ride on the needle to mark a spot in the row.

I cant help- I literally just learned to crochet today! I am making a small carry bag and I knitted half of it today already, and I am about to go watch a movie with the kids and crochet some more. I am addicted. It's so easy! (says me who just learned today and has crocheted a whole 6 inches or so :) )