Menu

WalMart price matching

Moxie

I think ours still does it.  I've never taken them up on it, but I have seen other people do it.  If I have any complaint about Walmart, it's when they offer these sorts of things they make it so ridiculously annoying it isn't worth it.  Even giving them coupons can be a nightmare.  I once waited 15 minutes for some woman to deal with a coupon, and I only bought one item!!!  Maybe I was just "lucky".

As far as I know what most people are referring to is using the savings catcher feature on the Walmart app. That's not a store-by-store thing.

It's easy to do if you have a smart phone (or I guess you can do it with a tablet). Just download the Walmart app and do the registration process (name, email, etc.). Each store receipt you get will have a QR code near the bottom. Open the app, select the savings catcher feature and then scan the QR code on the receipt. The whole process takes maybe 30 seconds. Prices are then compared with many competitors (Target, Dollar General, the grocery stores in your area, Petsmart, Petco, etc.) and in a couple of days or so you get notified of how much you saved. You can redeem your savings whenever you want and get an e-gift card or something else I can't remember (Bluebird or something like that). I didn't know what it was and the e-gift card is fine with me so I never researched the other option

• Like 1

Walmart officially still has a price match policy but their corporate site doesn't state the details- just says to check with your local store. Their website used to clearly state the policy details.  But back in May they quietly stopped price matching at 500 stores and then in August added another 300.  Moxie, I bet your store is among the first 500 that ended the price match. Link to the article about that:

https://consumerist.com/2016/08/10/walmart-to-stop-price-matching-of-local-competitors-ads-at-300-additional-stores/

The app is ok, but it doesn't use the stores in the next town north of me, though it does use one east of me which is twice as far away. And the stores it doesn't compare to are the ones that have the best sales. So while I appreciate the app, it's not as upfront as they claim it is.  

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

Ours still does it - as of last week anyway.  I love it.

In PA, minimum milk prices are set by the state so Aldi would not be able to sell milk for 99 cents (or any amount below state minimum for that month).  

Thank you! I immediately wondered why I've never seen $0.99 milk in PA!

• Like 1

That would be annoying.   I've found it very helpful.   For example, right before Labor Day I was chatting to the Coca-Cola guy and he mentioned that store X had a sale on cokes for Y.  At the cash register, I just said, "I'll need the coke price of Y that X store has."   I got it without a fuss.  

That secretly getting rid of price-match is upsetting.  If I found that out at the cash register, I'd walk away and never come back.  

Edited by shawthorne44

Our Walmart has signs on the doors and registers announcing the end of price matching. Oct 14 is the last day.

Is this Savings Catcher or their price matching?  I think the two are different, but maybe not.

ETA:  I just checked their website and didn't see any notice of SC ending.

Edited by creekland

Our Walmart has signs on the doors and registers announcing the end of price matching. Oct 14 is the last day.

My *guess* is that price matching is going away because it takes up so much cashier/check out time. Whereas the savings catcher app doesn't. But that is just a guess.