Menu

CA independent homeschoolers: 10/15 is the deadline to file your affidavit

Just to clarify: Charter schools are not "cover" schools. Children enrolled in charter schools are public school students, so there is no "covering" involved. :-)

This is getting really old.

And while "technically" you might be correct, those kids under the charter "cover" are just as much homeschooled as the ones without.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

You can file any time during the year too, if you forget or change schools. They keep it open.

And if you are with a PSP, make sure they don't still want you to file your own affidavit. Even though HSLDA says you don't have to becausw the PSP will, I know of at least one PSP that expects members to do it themselves (and didn't say so last year).

This is getting really old.

And while "technically" you might be correct, those kids under the charter "cover" are just as much homeschooled as the ones without.

I'm sorry; you missed my point. I was not commenting on whether or not children enrolled in charter schools are homeschooled. Charter schools are not "cover" schools in any way. A "cover" school (a term not used in California; that would be a private school satellite program) is some sort of entity that provides legal enrollment of some kind for homeschooled children. Charter schools are public schools; children enrolled in them are public school students; the charter school is not "covering" them, because the children don't need to be "covered."

• Like 1

You can file any time during the year too, if you forget or change schools. They keep it open.

And if you are with a PSP, make sure they don't still want you to file your own affidavit. Even though HSLDA says you don't have to becausw the PSP will, I know of at least one PSP that expects members to do it themselves (and didn't say so last year).

Well, for crying out loud--what would be the point of enrolling your children in a PSP if you still have to file your own affidavit???

• Like 2

Given that the term "cover school" has no legal meaning in the state of CA -- just an informal, everyday meaning -- maybe said informal meaning has broadened in the last few years, to include both private schools (PSPs) and public schools (home-based charters)?

Just a thought!  :001_smile:

Given that the term "cover school" has no legal meaning in the state of CA -- just an informal, everyday meaning -- maybe said informal meaning has broadened in the last few years, to include both private schools (PSPs) and public schools (home-based charters)?

Just a thought!  :001_smile:

And that might be true. :-) It is only that the charter schools are not "cover" schools by any definition of the term. :-)

A "cover school" in California would be for children who are legally recognized as *not* being public school students, e.g., children enrolled in private schools or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher. In California, homeschoolers are considered to be private school students; most people file their own private school affidavits annually (required of all private schools), but there is a good number of what the court has called "private school satellite programs," or PSPs, where someone else files the affidavit and people enroll their children in that private school. There could be an actual campus school that also enrolls homeschooled children, but most enroll only homeschooled children. so, a PSP could be referred to as a "cover school," although it's better not to muddy the waters by calling the PSPs something they are not [insert long history of homeschooling in California].

Children who are enrolled in the charter schools are legally public school students. The charter school is not a "cover" school. It is the school.

Question? Do you really make a copy of this form once filed online? Will anyone ever ask for this form?

No. After you fill out the form it sends you a link to the PDF of your filled out form. I save that.

In all the years we have homeschooled here, we have never been asked for it by any government official. I did need it to prove I was homeschooling a couple of times but that is it. We used it to get a teacher card at a local museum and we used it to prove we were homeschooling to sign up for the CHSPE.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

In CA a homeschool student is considered either a private school student or a public school student depending on the mode of homeschooling. If you file a private affidavit, your kid will be a private school student. If you opt into homeschool charter, your kid will be a public school student. Yet, private or public, your kid will be a homeschooler.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

And that might be true. :-) It is only that the charter schools are not "cover" schools by any definition of the term. :-)

I understand that "cover" originally carried the implication of "shield from the vision of the authorities."   I think, though, to many homeschoolers today, it means something more like "cover our legal requirement to register."   

As a bit of a language curmudgeon, I sympathize with those who might dislike this change in usage, but it seems to be spreading -- see e.g. the glossary at Time4Learning.   (Actually, don't see it.  It's pretty dreadful.  My cat could have written a better one.  :laugh:)