Menu

Dr. Hive- Skin Sores

DragonFaerie

Okay, Dr. Hive, I need you.  DD has about seven of these sores on her legs (and one on her side).  They are about the size of a nickle to a quarter, itch "a little bit," and look very raw.  Some of them look swollen, though that could be from the Band-Aids she had on them (she's allergic to latex, so Band-Aids cause some redness and swelling).  Any idea what in the world they are?  She said they just seemed to appear. She doesn't remember getting any scrapes or anything.

post-18266-0-48488500-1475700760_thumb.jpg

post-18266-0-50152300-1475700761_thumb.jpg

post-18266-0-48488500-1475700760_thumb.jpg

post-18266-0-50152300-1475700761_thumb.jpg

I would suspect some kind of contact dermatitis, but would probably take her to the doctor to be sure. You might try an antihistamine and see if it helps.

I looked up some pics of contact dermatitis, and that looks a lot like her spots. I do wonder where it might have come from, though (if, of course, that's what it is). Thankfully what I found online indicates that it will usually clear up on its own in a couple of weeks.

Impetigo?

I had to Google that one. DD's sores don't look nearly so oozy and blistered as what impetigo appears to be. 

Has she started any new medications lately?

No, there's not been anything new at all.  We have a theory.  She is allergic to mosquito bites (in addition to latex).  Both the mosquito and latex allergies are skin allergies, meaning she gets hives and/or redness.  I'm wondering if these didn't start as mosquito bites that she scratched.  Then, as they became sores, she put bandaids on them which might have caused the swelling.  This is worse than she's had before, which is why I'm not sure.  

No, there's not been anything new at all. We have a theory. She is allergic to mosquito bites (in addition to latex). Both the mosquito and latex allergies are skin allergies, meaning she gets hives and/or redness. I'm wondering if these didn't start as mosquito bites that she scratched. Then, as they became sores, she put bandaids on them which might have caused the swelling. This is worse than she's had before, which is why I'm not sure.

My youngest had the exact thing happen. They had "skeeter syndrome" our pedi called it. And then yes- the bandaids were worse than the bites. I took to using vet wrap over a piece of gauze to keep her from picking. Can she use hydrocortisone to at least help the itching?

My youngest had the exact thing happen. They had "skeeter syndrome" our pedi called it. And then yes- the bandaids were worse than the bites. I took to using vet wrap over a piece of gauze to keep her from picking. Can she use hydrocortisone to at least help the itching?

We do have "itchy medicine" (hydrocortisone) all over the house, and in the car, in my purse... LOL...  Comes with living in the South and being allergic to mosquitos. I've been having her put Neosporin on them, too.  Does it sound like we're doing the right thing?  I'm hoping they will just heal up on their own if she can leave them alone. 

We do have "itchy medicine" (hydrocortisone) all over the house, and in the car, in my purse... LOL...  Comes with living in the South and being allergic to mosquitos. I've been having her put Neosporin on them, too.  Does it sound like we're doing the right thing?  I'm hoping they will just heal up on their own if she can leave them alone. 

It does to me! I'm not sure there's much else you can do. If she can't stand not scratching them you might consider the gauze with vet wrap over it. That will at least make her stop and think before clawing at it, bless her heart. It's hard I know because they itch so bad. There's a different name for the human version of vet wrap that I can't remember, but since we have horses I keep a ton of vet wrap on hand anyway and it's super cheap at the feed store. It sticks to itself and not to skin and won't tear her up like latex bandaids. Maybe give her some Benadryl at bedtime if you can.

If they get worse in the next 24 hours I would definitely try to get her into a dermatologist and if not to a derm, your pedi or GP to make sure it's not something else. 

No, there's not been anything new at all.  We have a theory.  She is allergic to mosquito bites (in addition to latex).  Both the mosquito and latex allergies are skin allergies, meaning she gets hives and/or redness.  I'm wondering if these didn't start as mosquito bites that she scratched.  Then, as they became sores, she put bandaids on them which might have caused the swelling.  This is worse than she's had before, which is why I'm not sure.  

When I saw the pics my first thought was mosquito bites that had been scratched. I also react badly to mosquito bites and a few times the itching made mine look like that.

She said the swelling on one of them seems a little worse today, though I couldn't tell from the picture she sent me. I'll take a look at them when she gets home tonight and see how they look.  I tend to not worry about the swelling part so long as the open sore part seems to be healing, but I'm also kind of leaving it up to her.  She doesn't want to go to the doctor, and I'm not seeing a reason to rush over right now.  If they get worse or don't seem better in the next few days or a week, or if she changes her mind, we'll see about going.

Thanks for the info, y'all! 

One dd reacts to Band-Aids (that particular brand, which does say "latex" on the package). She does fine with the grocery store generic flexible fabric kind with no latex.

What's weird to me is these bandaids say they are "not made with natural rubber latex," so I took that to mean "latex-free."  Now I'm wondering if that's not what that means.  Grrr...

What's weird to me is these bandaids say they are "not made with natural rubber latex," so I took that to mean "latex-free."  Now I'm wondering if that's not what that means.  Grrr...

Sometimes the allergy is to the adhesive, so it doesn't matter which kind you use. She may be allergic to both??

Some people are allergic to the adhesive and just changing brands can help.

ETA: Posting the same time as you, texasmom!  :)  

Edited by MercyA

Impetigo?

Coflex is the human brand of vet wrap. I may have spelled it wrong. 

Ringworm she scratched is another thing it could be, or staph infection of mosquito bites. 

Well, if there was a prize for Dr. Hive contributors, you two would win.  We went to the doc today, and it is impetigo caused by staph that probably started with one of the mosquito bites.  They gave her a shot of antibiotic and she'll start an oral prescription tomorrow.  Good times. :-/

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

Edited by DragonFaerie
  • Like 3

Well, if there was a prize for Dr. Hive contributors, you two would win.  We went to the doc today, and it is impetigo caused by staph that probably started with one of the mosquito bites.  They gave her a shot of antibiotic and she'll start an oral prescription tomorrow.  Good times. :-/

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

Not a fun prize to win, but I'm so glad she's getting antibiotics for it. I hope she's better soon! It looks uncomfortable. Poor boo.

• Like 1