Menu

Latina Christiana DVD - so fast?!

lgliser

We are using the Latina Christiana DVD this year. It's the most recent edition. We like it but it's SO FAST.

The lady barely gives time for the student to repeat after her with vocab. And when saying the grammar forms, I have 4th graders here. Yes they are capable of memorizing and chanting them, but it's extremely tough for them to do it as fast as she does it.

She tells them to stand and they are barely out of their seats before she's saying the words they need to repeat.

Anyone else feel that it's too fast?  I'm constantly pausing so they can actually have time to process things!

• Like 1

I don't have my kids recite with the videos. They do go fast. We do recitations each day anyhow and then they do their assignment in the workbook, so I don't feel like they need to do the recitation with the video. Is it the one with Leigh Lowe? You should hear Glen in First and Second Form. Holy cow, he races through the recitation.

Yes it is Lowe and I think it's pretty fast for learning but if they know the material it isn't too fast and she seems like she expects them to be pretty familiar with it after a few lessons. I definitely have to pause the DVD so that my students can underline the roots in the derivatives though!! (We use it for 3 girls at co-op)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen the new DVDs, but the first two Forms ones are very fast. However, Glen is a hoot and we missed him when we got to Third Form.

After having been through First Form already, I was able to keep up with him the second time. I think they really expect you to know those chants - to own them, so to speak. Pausing is fine. You'll get there!

• Like 1

I haven't seen the new DVDs, but the first two Forms ones are very fast. However, Glen is a hoot and we missed him when we got to Third Form.

After having been through First Form already, I was able to keep up with him the second time. I think they really expect you to know those chants - to own them, so to speak. Pausing is fine. You'll get there!

I agree with this. The videos are meant to teach the concepts. The chants are easy enough to learn on your own and should be done every day if you really want to learn Latin. We really like Glen, too. He's a crack-up!
  • Like 1

The LC DVDs are a new edition for this year. I have not seen them, but I do know they condensed the time on each lesson down because previously a lot of people complained that the lessons were just too long for their kids to sit and pay attention to.

We had the longer lessons last year and I'm really thankful for the shorter First Form lessons this year. We do make liberal use of the pause button.

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't a big deal, but just to keep the record straight, the new version is not Leigh Lowe. Her name is Jessica Watson, and she is currently a third-grade teacher at Highlands Latin School.  We enjoyed watching her videos on youtube, also.

Edited by Whippoorwill
  • Like 2

We used the old version and the big complaint was too slow. Over time I think the slowness contributed to my ds getting bored with Latin. I remember him complaining about the dvd. We did the recitation afterwards which was really fun with both dc's together. With too fast you can pause if you want to recite with the dvd.

• Like 1

We haven't used the new editions of LC, nor have we used the Form series (I have, the kids haven't; and yes, Glen is so fast!). But I think this is funny, because when we used the DVDs for Prima and for LC I, they were so slow! We played them on the computer, so we could speed them up. We played them at 1.5 speed, and that was just about right! :)

• Like 2