Menu

Denver Recommendations, Please!

Mrs_JWM

My daughter - 11 - and my mother as I will be spending a few days in Denver in March. Can you recommend some of your favorite things to do, please? We'll be staying in Centennial at an AirBnB to be close to my brother and sister-in-law, and we'll be seeing friends in Westminster and Longmont, so we'll definitely have a car.

We like to see unusual things, but we're also happy to do touristy things. Some outdoor activities would be okay, too, although we will have flown in, so we won't have any special gear with us. Plus, my mother isn't up for a hike up a mountain. A long walk, sure, but nothing super-strenuous.

So far, we're planning on going to the aquarium. Also, an idea about what to expect weather-wise would be great, but I understand it's different out there!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Edited by Mrs_JWM

The denver museum of nature and science will have a Vikings exhibit opening in March.

http://www.dmns.org/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions/vikings-beyond-the-legend/

If you're coming at the end of the month, the Denver art museum has a Final Friday event that is fun and if you're coming at the beginning, there is first Friday!

http://denverartmuseum.org/programs/untitled-final-fridays (Next season not up yet)

http://www.denver.org/things-to-do/denver-arts-culture/denver-art-districts/

• Like 2

You have gotten great suggestions and weather like Margaret said can be anything.

Given the age of your daughter my 1st pick will be

Denver museum of nature and science.

Since you are staying in Centennial you are going to be south so Garden of the gods 

and Colorado springs area.

Westminster and Longmont  all are a drive,they are North so you can plan things around Boulder like Butterfly

Pavilion and Celestial seasoning.

Pack layers and be prepared for ever changing weather.

It can be sunny and warm to cold and windy all on the same day. 

• Like 1

The Denver Zoo is nice and flat, and it's a really pleasant zoo. The Natural History Museum is very, very good, we enjoyed it far more than the Smithsonian in Washington DC! Personally, I wouldn't go down to Colorado Springs. (I've lived in both Denver and the Springs for many years.) There are enough things to do in Denver, and you'll already be driving up to Westminster/Longmont.

The Butterfly Pavilion in (near?) Westminster is really fun. We used to make a day out of the Butterfly Pavilion and the indoor swim park at APEX. And if you want unique, you really have to eat at Casa Bonita--you don't go for the food (although the sopapillas are fantastic), you go for the entertainment and to watch the live cliff divers! It's very reasonably priced too. :)

Someone mentioned Wings Over Air & Space museum, which is unusual too, but perhaps not every 11 yo girl would enjoy it as much . . .

• Like 1