Menu

So, here's a weird correlation (nutrition question)

Greta

If I eat wheat very rarely, just for special occasions, it's not a problem.  But if I eat it frequently, I develop digestive upset, and it gets progressively more severe the more wheat I eat.  This correlation is abundantly clear, no question about it.  And it's not an uncommon complaint, so it's not exactly surprising.

But, here's the weird thing.  Lately, I have noticed an unexpected correlation between wheat and my migraines, but not the one you might think.  I don't get migraines on days that I eat wheat, or I can even nip a migraine in the bud if I eat some wheat bread as soon as I feel it coming on! 

I stocked up on some gluten-free breads thinking that maybe it's not the wheat itself, but the concentrated source of starch.  Unfortunately, gluten-free breads do not seem to contain the same anti-migraine magic as wheat breads.  Rice flour is the main ingredient in these gluten-free breads.

So what nutrient could wheat contain which rice does not, and which could prevent/treat migraines?

Should I try sprouted wheat products (like Ezekiel bread) to see if I can get the migraine fighting benefits without the tummy troubles?

Any ideas at all about what might be going on here and what I can do about it?

I wonder if the migraines are actually triggered by withdrawal from wheat?

What is the longest length of time you have ever gone without wheat? If it is withdrawal, I would expect the migraines to eventually stop--that might take a few weeks though.

I went without wheat for three years, and the migraines were getting progressively worse that whole time.  But the wheat wasn't the only factor.  The migraines are primarily hormonal:  I started getting them in puberty, had some blessed relief when I was pregnant and breastfeeding, and then they got BAD when I hit perimenopause (which was the same time that I was low-carb ketogenic and wheat-free).

I went off the ketogenic diet, and that helped a great deal.  I'm also on preventive medications now, which are helping a lot.  At first, even after I increased the carbs, I stayed away from wheat.  Then I added wheat back to the diet and was thrilled to find it didn't give me the digestive troubles - at least at first.  And during this time I had the lowest incidence of migraines.  Then the digestive problems started again, so I cut the wheat out, and the migraines increased in frequency again.  Weird, huh?  I'm so confused!

• Like 1

I don't know about the wheat/migraine correlation but my migraines have been significantly reduced since I started taking magnesium powder. Not capsules - they didn't help even though they claim to - but powder that you stir into water. Maybe it's the concentration or that it's more absorbable, but seriously it has changed me 😊. I also control my refined wheat intake - not wheat free, but controlled - and I steer clear of gravy made with gravy powder.

Edited by LindaOz
  • Like 1

Were you really getting enough fat calories on low carb? Or when you don't eat gluten? Could be hypoglycemia. I yet headaches when I don't eat enough.

Yes, I was doing HFLC.  I didn't always track, but when I did track, I usually got about 65% of my calories from fat, 25%-ish from protein, and 10% or less from carbs.  I do have reactive hypoglycemia, so I have to be careful about that.  Not eating enough generally, or accidentally letting my blood sugar get too low will trigger a migraine for sure!  Thank you for the suggestions!

I don't know about the wheat/migraine correlation but my migraines have been significantly reduced since I started taking magnesium powder. Not capsules - they didn't help even though they claim to - but powder that you stir into water. Maybe it's the concentration or that it's more absorbable, but seriously it has changed me 😊. I also control my refined wheat intake - not wheat free, but controlled - and I steer clear of gravy made with gravy powder.

I've tried the capsules with no effect, but I've never tried a powder.  Thanks!