Menu

Food PSA

creekland

Just a quick PSA to let folks know that if you choose to let your (young) kids play with potatoes (whole), then opt to throw them away because they've been on the floor, you're going to make some of us chuckle.  

You are aware that potatoes grow in the ground/dirt, right?  And that most of us wash them before using.  I'm thinking your floor was probably at least as clean as the dirt the potatoes grew in.  We won't even get into worms or bugs that might have touched it outside...

Edited by creekland
  • Like 21

LOL!!

I remember someone commenting on me dropping produce on the floor at the grocery and then putting it in my bag to buy anyway.  I'm thinking, "Do you know what kind of places this stuff has been on the way to the grocery?!?"  Seriously, the grocery store floor is pristine compared to the rest of the vegetable's journey.

• Like 3

Hahaha! There has got to be more to this story.

My dad had a student who was a potato farmer. He once gave us a 50 pound sack of potatoes, I was shocked by how dirty they were compared to potatoes from the store.

That was my first though too. Oh, yeah, there's a story there. 

I am amused by cashiers who don't want to risk touching you as they give you your change. Sure, that money is super clean. Keep thinking that. 

• Like 6

Hahaha! There has got to be more to this story.

My dad had a student who was a potato farmer. He once gave us a 50 pound sack of potatoes, I was shocked by how dirty they were compared to potatoes from the store.

There really isn't much more.  The older kids were doing a craft with potatoes akin to Mr. Potato Head, except using real potatoes and assorted other things on toothpicks.  A couple of younger kids just had potatoes they were playing with on the floor - not poking them or whatever - just lining them up and rolling them around a little (not tons).

At the end a mom wondered what they should do with all "these potatoes."  The ones that got poked (and finger painted) they decided to throw away.  Then someone asked, "what about these" referring to those that had simply been on the floor.  "We should throw those away too.  They've been on the floor..."

Of course, if they peeled and cooked them I bet they could have used them all, but I can sort of understand not wanting to use those that had been poked into a bit.  Those that had just been on the floor?  Umm... want to see ours after we dig them out of the ground?  :lol:

• Like 3

I am just mortified that somebody out there thinks potatoes that haven't been on the floor don't need washed before using!

I'm not sure that is connected.  I think it's just a younger mom who really didn't think about where potatoes come from and instinctively thought being on the floor must mean they picked up bacteria, etc., so should be tossed.  She very well could wash potatoes from a bag first, but those (apparently) aren't contaminated...

• Like 1