Menu

Was it a migraine?

I have had an awful (AWFUL!) headache for days. It is finally a bit better today, but still worse than most headaches I've had.

A couple of things about it have been strange, though.

First, the pain has been completely on one side. The entire left side of my head, front to back, has been pounding, but not a stitch of pain on my right side. So weird.

Second, I've had a terrible pain in my neck, too. It has been aching along with my head, but is also so tender to the touch right at the base of my skull on the left side.

My husband sent me to bed yesterday and came in to check on me a while later. He was going to give me a light neck massage, but it hurt so badly to have him touch my neck at all.

Also weird.

Do either of these sound like migraine symptoms?

Actually, it sounds exactly like one of my migraines. Untreated, it usually starts at the base of the left side of my neck, then spreads to the whole left side of my head. They can last and have lasted up to 5 days with no relief at all during sleep. The pain can be pretty severe, and I am usually nauseous with them.

Here is a fact sheet with some characteristics of migraine:

http://www.headaches.org/education/Headache_Topic_Sheets/Migraine

Yep, definitely a migraine. You describe the ones I've gotten for over 20 years except that it can be either side...So sorry for your pain. Mine were always related to hormone changes around the menstrual cycle and then with menopause hormone swings.

Mary

As some others have said, this sounds exactly like what my migraines are like. I also get them only on one side of my head (usually left), then go from behind my left eye, up to the top of my head, then all the way around and down to the base of my head/top of my neck.

I take Imitrex. Before I FINALLY went to the doc to get a dx and med, my migraines would last two or three days. I am also very sensitive to light and sound when I have them. Also, my vision is, well, the best way I can describe it its lopsided.

Visiting your family doctor would be a good place to start, in my opinion.

Blessings, Bethany

They are awful. Sounds like one, they can come with multiple symptoms and vary from person to person. The one thing they have in common is that they are awful.

:grouphug:

I have had an awful (AWFUL!) headache for days. It is finally a bit better today, but still worse than most headaches I've had.

A couple of things about it have been strange, though.

First, the pain has been completely on one side. The entire left side of my head, front to back, has been pounding, but not a stitch of pain on my right side. So weird.

Second, I've had a terrible pain in my neck, too. It has been aching along with my head, but is also so tender to the touch right at the base of my skull on the left side.

My husband sent me to bed yesterday and came in to check on me a while later. He was going to give me a light neck massage, but it hurt so badly to have him touch my neck at all.

Also weird.

Do either of these sound like migraine symptoms?

Thanks, everyone.

My husband talked with our doctor today (he's a family friend). He told my husband to get me into his office tomorrow morning if I'm not better.

There is some improvement tonight, but I'm off to bed. I do hope this nasty thing is gone by the time I get up tomorrow.

Virtual chocolate to the winner of this round of Diagnose Me: Lisa!

It's a pinched nerve in my neck.

I have one child that I have to pick up from the library, but then I have been instructed to take my two prescription medications and relax.

I'm not sure whether to be happy about my victory or not! :001_huh:

I truly am glad it is something treatable and not the beginning of migraines. As a migraine sufferer myself, I wouldn't wish those on anyone.

I'm glad you found your answer...

But please, everyone, don't fool around with a sudden headache of the type you've never had before or a headache that you'd describe as the worst headache you've ever had.

There is a chance these types of headaches can be signs of a cerebral aneuryms.