Menu

Any multiple year Fix it grammar reviews?

pocjets

We are on our second year. One of the reasons we enjoy it so much, besides it's brevity, is that I've combined three of my boys in the same level. They love the competitiveness of trying to find everything on the checklist.

I've been very pleased with the retention that's resulted also. The only thing I don't like is the lack of diagramming so we will be working that into the lessons as we go through the year.

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 2

Not long term users but DD is 2/3s through Book 2.  Retention and application has been much better with this program than others we have used (including Easy Grammar).  Plus, she sometimes gets enthusiastic and blows through a full week of lessons in a day.  The brevity of the program is HUGE here.  Because she knows the lessons are short, she picks it up first thing and gets started.  Then sometimes just keeps going and at times enjoys it (even though she HATES grammar).  I just got Book 3 in yesterday and she scooped it out of my hands to look it over.  (I am still kind of stunned at that one.)

• Like 4

I would suggest giving it a try!  My dd really likes it.  It was the only thing she asked to do again this year.  It is a gentle approach, but with more complicated sentences that are a part of a larger paragraph.  We are doing JAG alongside Book 2 this year for 6th grade.(I love diagramming too.:)  ) 

• Like 1

We just began but this is the first year my kids haven't complained about grammar. They have been enjoying it and doing well. Previously it was a struggle for them to pick out a noun in a sentence and they do it without issue. My ods who doesn't enjoy grammar at all does this on his own without being asked and loves reading the story each day. I'm glad we gave it a try.

• Like 1

We're finishing the second book now, so I just have a couple of levels.

Echoing others, I've found the retention strong with this program.

I appreciate what I see as a practical approach to grammar.

I really wish each sentence was diagrammed and/or had all the parts of speech identified in the teacher's manual. They do make even advanced grammar notes in the teacher's manual, but only select things that they have decided to highlight. More comprehensive analysis would improve my instruction. It's the one thing I dislike about the program.

My kids enjoy Fix It, and have never complained. It's quick to get done, though we tend to do a week's worth of sentence corrections in one day, once a week. It would probably be better to do it daily, one sentence at a time. But each day's lesson is so short that it almost takes more time to get the stuff out and open the books.  My kids balked at that very quickly. We're still retaining well with our once a week approach. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 3

We're on book 3 and I have nothing but good to say about this program- even for older students. It's been highly effective and I'm learning as much as she has. :)

I'm using it with two kids who are really older than the recommendations (maybe three kids).  We started Book 1 last year with an eighth grader, a sixth grader  and a fifth grader.  So now in Book 2, they are a freshman, 7th and 6th grader but, especially for my freshman and the sixth grader it's the first time ever that they know without a doubt the parts of speech and their role in sentences.

• Like 1

I'm using it with two kids who are really older than the recommendations (maybe three kids).  We started Book 1 last year with an eighth grader, a sixth grader  and a fifth grader.  So now in Book 2, they are a freshman, 7th and 6th grader but, especially for my freshman and the sixth grader it's the first time ever that they know without a doubt the parts of speech and their role in sentences.

One of the things I am LOVING about this program is that after they teach you all these different parts and a student learns how to label them, they teach you WHY those parts are important and the student learns the bigger picture.  They don't just keep labeling a zillion parts.  The next step is seeing how all those parts function in the larger framework of the sentence and labeling the bigger pieces.  And it keeps building from there.  The overall goal is not to label.  It is to genuinely understand how the various parts of our language work, like gears in a clock.   I was never taught that in school.  We just didn't go beyond noun, verb, pronoun type stuff.  And it does it so subtly and gently it is really pretty painless.  :)

• Like 2

Yep, my dd is 9th grade too. I have learned so much myself though it's crazy. We both enjoy it. We go through an average of three lessons a week. I am a huge Fix It Fan. Well I'm a huge fan of IEW in general, I will admit it. :)