Menu

Xpost: Jacobs Elementary Algebra back in print

Does anyone know if the new edition is still secular?  

I'm questioning whether it is because it is being published by a Christian publisher, it has the words "in the beginning" printed on the front, and the forward says "I am grateful to God that the book will continue to be published!"

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the new edition is still secular?  

I'm questioning whether it is because it is being published by a Christian publisher, it has the words "in the beginning" printed on the front, and the forward says "I am grateful to God that the book will continue to be published!"

There are 66 pages of samples on the Master Books website.  I'm not familiar with the original to tell if anything has changed.  

If there is a Christian foreword I wouldn't assume the content was religious - plenty of authors are religious but their content is quite neutral :). It is worth looking into though - can somene compare editions with the sample?

I sold my copy this summer so I can't give a detailed review, but the explanations and types of problems look just like the original.

I also didn't see anything that would concern a secular family other than the cover and the forward.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

There are 66 pages of samples on the Master Books website.  I'm not familiar with the original to tell if anything has changed.  

That's how I know about the foreword.  

It looks like they just altered the images (which look nice, from what I saw). I'm hoping that altering the text would have been to cumbersome.  But my experience with these things is that where there is one reference to religion, there are more--even if the publisher claims the resource is secular.

I looked at the preview - it looked identical to me except for the new Forward (from memory since my Math teacher mother owns it in another state).

I think the price $79.99 for the student text is a little high considering it is just a reprint.  Hopefully it did not cost a fortune to acquire the rights for an out of print text book. 

It looks like they changed it quite a bit and figured out how to make more money from it. The set III exercises have been removed from the textbook and put in the Teacher's Guide, which also contains a schedule (do sets I, II, and IV from one lesson each day) and tests (which you can get for free from Dr. Callahan's website). This new Teacher's Guide costs $27.99.

So you can buy a used version of the old textbook for $56 on Amazon and the solutions guide from RR for $35 for a total of $91 or you can buy the same thing for $125 from Masterbooks.

• Like 1