Menu

Course Descriptions specific order?

This is very helpful to me too, thanks everyone. I have a related question though, if you have course descriptions for both homeschool courses and outside courses, do you just put them in together? Or do you have separate sections by provider? For my ds, none of his English or history courses are homeschooled - so that's separate anyway - but he's done some math at public school and some at home. Would you put all the math course descriptions together anyway?

This is very helpful to me too, thanks everyone. I have a related question though, if you have course descriptions for both homeschool courses and outside courses, do you just put them in together? Or do you have separate sections by provider? For my ds, none of his English or history courses are homeschooled - so that's separate anyway - but he's done some math at public school and some at home. Would you put all the math course descriptions together anyway?

I decided the most important information was the courses taken, not where they were taken.  So I did keep courses together by subject.

Our transcripts are a real smorgasbord.  I have around five outside providers that I list (I did not indicate the classes we did with a coop as an outside provider).  

What I do is use the superscript button to indicate the provider on the transcript.  It is also prominently mentioned on the transcript.

Ex.

Latin 1LP

Then at the bottom of the page (in the footer in my document) I have a key to outside providers.

LP The Lukeion Project 

When I write my course descriptions, I give the short title from the transcript, followed by naming the outside provider and giving the full course name as the provider lists it.

Ex.

Latin 1 (The Lukeion Project, online class):

Classical Roman Literature (The Lukeion Project, Muse Reloosed, online class): 

In the second example, Classical Roman Literature is what is on the transcript.  I give the Lukeion Project title so they can look at it online if they choose to.

With some other courses, I listed online work in the course descriptions as a part of a home designed course.  For example, our Fine Arts Survey included a couple Greek Sculpture and Greek Architecture workshops from Lukeion.  They are listed as if they were texts utilized, since they were just a portion of the course and the workshops themselves had no grade to adopt.

ETA:  I think this made sense in our case, because my kids used a lot of different providers over time, but were always homeschooled.  If they had moved from a brick and mortar school to homeschooling, I might have put things in more of a chronological order with a clear designation of where they were PS students and where they were homeschooled.  Similarly, I might consider a chronological arrangement if my kids were full time at a community college with no at home coursework for the year, even though they were still homeschool high school students.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1