Menu

Moodiness funny

I thought this group would appreciate this anecdote.

Our read aloud has a 14 yo protagonist. Last night, she observed that she was finishing what was supposed to be her "moody year."

Ds, who turns 12 this month, was appalled. "Wait a minute," he said, interrupting the book. "FOURTEEN is the moody year?"

I was like, "Well, yeah, 13 and 14 are often sort of the moodiest years. Depends on the kid, of course."

He threw himself against the side of the sofa and turned away from us and wailed. "But it's already so BAD! You're telling me it gets WORSE? NO!"

• Like 23

My 9.5 year old twins burst into tears simultaneously tonight. Why? Because neither my husband nor I wanted to climb up the stairs to tuck them in. Sigh.

So Squeaky climbed into my lap and wailed, "I miss being little! I miss eating applesauce and taking naps. Well, I mean I miss liking taking naps." Me: :blink: (thinking, "Where did this come from all of a sudden? And what's with the applesauce?").

It turned out that Squishy (on hubby's lap) was also crying. She wailed, "I hate getting bigger! I miss getting tucked in and all the silly things you do when you tuck us in." She was right on that, he has made it into this elaborate, 50-step procedure. Hey, Buddy, if you're too tired to do all of that tonight, guess who started it?

So I told them, "Well, when you were little, we mixed your applesauce with cottage cheese, so we could do that on Monday and then feed it to you and then put you down for a nap. How would you like that?" So much empathy in me. :nopity:

But I did snuggle them a bit. I had no idea about the applesauce! The things you learn about your kids, as they are bursting into tears! :grouphug: Hang in there, Farrar, this too shall pass.

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 6

Oh dear, it does seem so hard at that age. My almost-12-year-old reacts similarly when anyone discusses anything puberty related...

Now I feel the need to ask, what is the book?

The Moon by Night by Madeleine L'Engle. We read the first one in the series - Meet the Austins - and they loved it and really wanted to read this one next. It has a lot more romance stuff so I wasn't sure if it would appeal totally, though it's nothing inappropriate, but also a lot of stuff about finding your own way and realizing your identity separate from your parents and family, as well as lots of angst about the Cold War and lots of camping. 

• Like 3

In our household, 12 is the absolute worst when it comes to moodiness. Things seems to calm down at about 14, so their is hope , lol.

My dd is the absolute best right now. She is 14 and is all calmed down. My 12 year old dd is going through it right now, but we have lots of talks and hugs, and it will pass soon.

I think I'll cry when my boys go through it. They are still my babies :(

• Like 1

Well, I have one that was born moody. Not kidding. Things escalated at 9-10, and again around 11-12. 14 so far is off to a pretty good start. I am glad to hear that others don't envision 15 being worse. I was worried that we might be in for another round at some point. She is intense to begin with, but is lightening up, as much as she can, lately. :)

But now my ydd, usually happy go lucky and people pleasing though always a bit impulsive, has hit the moody 12's. Oh by. I can't wait to see 14 if it's moodier than 12.

• Like 3

I wonder if part of it has to do with a new school year starting? DD (12.5) has been waffling between wanting to go back to being 9 or 5. 9 because she was "beautiful" - no pimples, and 5 because coloring counted as school and we lived in a two-story house.  :lol: It really started up about a month before school started. 

I haven't told DD that the moodiness is supposed to get worse. She's already dramatic enough. Her preschool teachers referred to her as the Drama Queen because everything was either wonderful or the sky was falling. She's still that way.

• Like 6

I wonder if part of it has to do with a new school year starting? DD (12.5) has been waffling between wanting to go back to being 9 or 5. 9 because she was "beautiful" - no pimples, and 5 because coloring counted as school and we lived in a two-story house.  :lol: It really started up about a month before school started. 

I haven't told DD that the moodiness is supposed to get worse. She's already dramatic enough. Her preschool teachers referred to her as the Drama Queen because everything was either wonderful or the sky was falling. She's still that way.

This might be a girl thing. My girls all suffer from it.

I have kept everything we have ever done for homeschooling. Yes, I keep it. In neatly labelled Home Depot boxes on sturdy wooden shelves in the basement (it's dry). One box per year (or two, when they were younger). And I do this because we live in New Jersey, which is actually a no-man's land in terms of its homeschooling laws (or lack thereof). You never know. If you get called on the carpet, the burden of proof is on the parents. So, I keep the tangible stuff.

The girls were asking about the contents this summer. Did I have this, did I still have that? In particular, did I have the math page from Pre-K, the one on which Squishy colored the cat purple and green?

"Yes, would you like to see?" Three eager girls crowded around the first box: Pre-K & 1st.

"Oh, look! Here is [special nostalgic memento]!" I think it was Mini Letter Books in a small metal box. They loved to cut and paste. They still do.

"Oh, look! Mommy kept our [special nostalgic workbook]!" I think it was Kumon Animal Mazes. Back then, they adored mazes. Now it's word searches and Mad Libs.

"Oh, look! Here is the page from Pre-K where you colored the cat purple and green!" It was like Christmas and a funeral, laughter and tears. They all gazed at the green and purple cat, as if recalling deep things.

"School used to be simpler."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"But it's still fun, Mommy, really."

"Yeah, it's still fun."

"Yeah. We can't color cats forever."

• Like 5

"Yeah. We can't color cats forever."

Oh no! Don't tell that to dd#2. She spends her days (when she's not doing school or writing her own books) sketching & then coloring cats, horses, dogs, and all other manner of creatures. She paints them, too, obviously, since that's where my avatar came from -- one of her paintings. 

Currently, she's in one of her complaining moods about how she has ONE online class tomorrow AND math AND religious prep class at night. Oh, the horrors! And mom will NEVER be done helping her make the edits for her girl-with-horse book. Never. (Let's not get her started on how many books behind I am on doing first edits. I don't want to hear the belly aching.)

• Like 2

Oh no! Don't tell that to dd#2. She spends her days (when she's not doing school or writing her own books) sketching & then coloring cats, horses, dogs, and all other manner of creatures. She paints them, too, obviously, since that's where my avatar came from -- one of her paintings. 

Currently, she's in one of her complaining moods about how she has ONE online class tomorrow AND math AND religious prep class at night. Oh, the horrors! And mom will NEVER be done helping her make the edits for her girl-with-horse book. Never. (Let's not get her started on how many books behind I am on doing first edits. I don't want to hear the belly aching.)

I know! It was kind of sad. Of course, I told them that, yes, they could color cats forever! They could color cats purple and green forever, too! :) I still love to draw and color.

All three of mine color and draw and sketch all the time, when they are not knitting, crocheting, beading, making friendship bracelets, embroidering, or sewing. Girls! :001_wub: Glitter glue and gel pens are investments in happiness.

• Like 1