Menu

Prescription Coupons?

IfIOnly

I need to pay cash for a prescription and wondering if certain places take coupons or offer discounts? The price isn't terrible (about $50 for a month of Ambien), but I thought I had heard something about discount options before. I usually to to Walgreens, if the matters, but am willing to switch for coupons and discounts too. Thanks!

The website or ap GoodRX is the easiest to use.  It searches all the coupons for you and finds the best deal at the different locations around you.  Print the online quote and billing information or take it on your smart phone to the pharmacy. Just so people know.... You can not use these with your insurance, it is one or the other. 

If you are looking for the generic, Zolpidem is the name.  Make sure you are looking at the correct formulation too.  The Regular release tablets come in 5 or 10 mg.  The cr (controlled release) are in 6.25mg and 12.5mg

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

You ladies are awesome. Thank you!

I found a coupon at Good RX but am not sure what the savings is. I think it's saying that it will only be about $10 for 30, 5 mg tablets at Walgreens. That's a huge price savings. I'm just wondering if I'll get there and they'll laugh at me and the coupon? Seems too good to be true, but if it is, that's really great.

If anyone would care to double check for me to see if you see what I'm seeing, that would be most welcome. http://www.goodrx.com/ambien?=&form=tablet&dosage=5mg&quantity=30&days_supply=&label_override=zolpidem

• Like 1

Walgreens will take GoodRx discount. Just have it ready for them. Be careful if your trying to transfer around with Ambien or generic. Most states have rules how many times control drugs can be transferred. In my state it is once.

Walgreens also has their own discount club. Ask if it is cheaper or Good Rx discount. There is a joining fee for their own club but often it's cheaper for people without insurance who are on maintenance meds.

Edited by Maeintx
  • Like 3

I've been using blink health. It's pretty easy and saves me money.

Blink and Goodrx are basically the same.  With Blink the patient pre-pays online before going to the pharmacy. Some pharmacies may not take it, because it is not well known. 

• Like 1

Didn't realize they were the same but I like prepaying. Until recently I was a tech in retail and I was the only one at my store who even knew about it. I think I first read about it here funny enough.

I work in retail pharmacy also. If I understand right, Blink lets you get the same price at all locations.  So you prepay, but you are more likely to get the cheapest price at your preferred pharmacy.  My only advice is calling ahead to make sure they take it.  We see Goodrx a couple times a day, but I have only seen on patient use Blink. I had to do some research into it before I accepted it.  It was $200 med I was letting walk out the door, without accepting payment at the pharmacy level. It is legit and accepted by our company, but unless the people working know about it, they may turn you away until they figure it out. 

• Like 3

I was going to suggest GoodRx too. I have 2 pretty expensive meds and started using GoodRx a couple of months ago. My one med I fill 1x a month was $55, now I get it for $29. The other med is for every 4 months it was $85 and now I pay $40. 

Next time I have an appt I'm going to ask her about prescribing me higher and just splitting the dose because running the numbers I could save even more doing that and my drug can be split. (I'm taking 25 mcg and they dispense 50mcg tablets that can be split in half)

When I looked up my med it actually showed that Wal-Mart had it cheaper but I called ahead because I heard that they didn't always accept it, sure enough the lady said they did not (supposedly you can fight this but I didn't want the hassle for $10). Then I called Wal-Greens as they were the next cheapest and they did take it and once they have the coupon in the system you don't have to give it to them again. When I added my 2nd scrip there they automatically gave it to me for the GoodRx price. I've been very pleased, it was painless.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I was going to suggest GoodRx too. I have 2 pretty expensive meds and started using GoodRx a couple of months ago. My one med I fill 1x a month was $55, now I get it for $29. The other med is for every 4 months it was $85 and now I pay $40. 

Next time I have an appt I'm going to ask her about prescribing me higher and just splitting the dose because running the numbers I could save even more doing that and my drug can be split. (I'm taking 25 mcg and they dispense 50mcg tablets that can be split in half)

When I looked up my med it actually showed that Wal-Mart had it cheaper but I called ahead because I heard that they didn't always accept it, sure enough the lady said they did not (supposedly you can fight this but I didn't want the hassle for $10). Then I called Wal-Greens as they were the next cheapest and they did take it and once they have the coupon in the system you don't have to give it to them again. When I added my 2nd scrip there they automatically gave it to me for the GoodRx price. I've been very pleased, it was painless.

I am glad it is working out for you.  Unless you really need to save the money, many pharmacists do not recommend splitting meds that come in microgram (mcg) doses.  The dosing is so very small and any crumbles from breaking the tablet that get left behind, can make a difference how the medication works for you. It is also impossible to split a tablet exactly in half so your dose will vary slightly day to day.. With a tablet that is dosed in milligrams (mg), that difference may be negligible.  But micrograms are so fine that some people do notice a difference. If you do decided to go it, make sure you only split one tablet at a time.  Take the first half one day and then the second half for the next dose. It makes it more accurate and you numbers will average out better.

A better way to save money is to ask the doctor to write the script for a 90 days supply to be dispensed all at once.  Every time we fill a script there is a dispensing fee.  If you get all 90 at one time, you only pay one dispensing fee, instead of 3 like you would have for the same amount of medication if if were dispensed one month at a time over 3 months.  The MD will usually be fine with that idea for most meds, (but not all) and if they are not planning to change your dose, or if the MD is monitoring you for another reason. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a thanks for suggesting trying "shopping around" for the best coupons. The manufacturer's coupon was almost half off GoodRX for the generic time release Ambien. I should add that the time release isn't giving me much or any more sleep so am Not sure yet if it's worth the $50 extra.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 2