Menu

If I want to use essential oils to make a room smell nice

Hyacinth

What do I need? I have the oils, but what kind of bottle/container/bowl works best? And then what? Does the scent just waft or do I need some of those stick things? Do I have to mix the oils with something else for this kind of use? Any other tips you EO experts can offer? I don't want electric or battery operated options; just something that will sit there and smell nice. And how long can I expect the scent to last? Thanks!

When I stayed in a single dorm room in college, I put dried flowers in a shallow bowl and drip a few drops of essentials oils. That was sufficient for a small room since I only leave the windows open when I am in the room.

At my parents home, I used a clay incense burner with tea lights. Something like what I link below. I just drop more drops of essential oils as needed. It was enough for a light aroma for a combined living and dining rectangular room.

http://m.thebodyshop-usa.com/mt/www.thebodyshop-usa.com/home-fragrance/home-fragrance-best-sellers/soapstone-oil-burner.aspx?gclid=COWHxomeyc4CFY9efgodQfAMdw&un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_redirect

ETA:

My friend use the incense sticks. We can smell from the doorway when we visit.

Edited by Arcadia

Essential oils are volatile so they will diffuse naturally into the air. Heat or other methods will accelerate the diffusion. A reed diffuser just uses the reeds to absorb the oil and then diffuse it over time.

(I haven't posted the hows of diffusion yet but wrote about EOs in general at Find.Learn.Share.)

Edited by MomatHWTK