Menu

Spelling for 6th grade

We finished AAS 1-6.  I planned to do Level 7 this year, but can't find it.  I don't want to repurchase it, and started thinking of different options. I don't think I want to get another curriculum either.  The kids are pretty decent spellers.  I think I really just want to find some appropriate word lists and spend about 15 minutes a week just having them spell words I say aloud to find any problem areas.  Any they get stuck on, we can practice.  Otherwise, we'll just move on.

Edited to clarify:  We've done six levels of AAS which is spelling by sound, rules, and phonograms etc.  It teaches how to spell.  I guess I'm looking to move on to see how well they've retained what they've learned about how to spell words, and how well they can apply it to new words.

Anyone done something similar?  Has it worked?  Glad you did it or regretted it?  

I've googled for 6th grade word lists and every list is different.  I thought there would be some standards.  Have you found a favorite site that contains good word lists?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mary

Edited by matrips

Since they are good spellers, perhaps you'll want to simply work on spelling in their writing. Keep track of words they misspell, and use those to form your lists. Then, you can review the strategies they learned in AAS and see if they can identify which strategies will help them remember the word (like the word analysis exercises they worked on in the higher levels). You could also have them use the words again by having them do Writing Stations.

I hope you find your level 7, because that really does cover some great topics (Greek and Latin roots, morphological strategies for tricky suffixes like -ence and -ance, etc...) The last step in Level 7 has a plan for “lifelong†learning so that your student can continue to learn how to spell new words. (My youngest really enjoyed the new Writing Station activities too!)

• Like 2

I am moving my DD10 into megawords 1 in 5th grade after finishing AAS 1-5. I am a little over AAS at this stage with 2 currently working through the program and a 3rd due to start it next year so I have decided to change spelling for #1 child.

I don't do any spelling with my students, because they are naturally (and maybe from reading a lot) very good spellers. When they make spelling errors I have them rewrite the misspelled words. If I noticed an issue I might address it, but I think it's not essential, especially after doing that many years of spelling. I'd choose 10 words a week from your literature selections and have them write them, or do copywork.