Menu

American Gov't before American History?

Has anyone had a high schooler do government before a year-long American History course? My 10th grader hasn't taken American history yet, but his 12th grade sister is doing government/econ this year, and I'd hoped to teach them together. I thought about having him do both Am history and govt/econ this year, but he's seriously balking at that option (he's more STEM-oriented, and he's decided to do geometry and algebra 2 concurrently this year, plus he's taking Spanish 2 with Sr. Gamache--La Clase Divertida online--which is a lot of work).

Is it critical to have the American history done first? Or concurrently?

Thanks for any words of wisdom here!

Holly

Hundreds of public schooled children do it this way :) In the district where I taught and the district my Oldest attended (opposite areas of the same state) -- A semester of US Government and a year of US history are both required... the standard is that a semester of civics/governments is taken in Grade 9 and US History is taken either in Grade 10 or as APUSH in 11.

• Like 1

Lots of online classes require US History before Government, but I think you can do it either way at home. When there are holes, you only have two kids so you can fill them.

Go for it! And good luck w/ Sr Gamache! It is a wild ride sometimes. : )

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think we'll go forward with government/econ, and just supplement when necessary with a quick reading of certain events.

Go for it! And good luck w/ Sr Gamache! It is a wild ride sometimes. : )

You aren't kidding about that! :-)

When I was in high school, government and econ were done in 9th grade. Today, in the district I live in, it it done in 12th grade. 

My children will be overlapping for 2 years of high school. I will combine every single thing I can. So, for us, older child will do US history in 11th and the other will be in 9th. Likewise, the next year, in 10th and 12th, they will do government and economics together.

At the school my son attended the very top students take AP Government in 9th and APUSH in 10th.  The next level down is Honors US in 9th, and APUSH. in 10th, and the most common pathway is Honors US in 9th, and Honors Gov in 10th.  

At the school where I work, the 9th graders take a half credit of government and the 10th graders take a full year of US History, which can be regular, honors, or AP. 

I think either sequence works fine.