Menu

PE Credit

My dd has done ballet for many years. She takes 3 hours of classes a week, and also does extra practices for recitals etc. I was wondering if it would be ok for me to count the ballet she did in 9th grade as a 1/2 PE credit, and then use the next 3 years of ballet as an extra-curricular. Is this an ok thing to do? Are there problems with doing that? Any advice appreciated!

I'm concerned about whether it will invalidate counting it as an extra-curricular if I use it for credit one year. Does anyone know if this is true?

ETA - I realize I can't count it as extra-curricular the year I would count it for credit. I'm worried about messing up the subsequent years.

Edited by tcb

I'd list ballet as extra-curricular.

I might write up a course description for PE that includes learning about fitness and nutrition (probably learned in ballet), stretching and other fitness exercises (done at the beginning of ballet) and whatever else you want to include. I might add that much of the physical fitness was done alongside her goal of ballet, but I'd list the actual ballet class separately.

• Like 2

I'd list ballet as extra-curricular.

I might write up a course description for PE that includes learning about fitness and nutrition (probably learned in ballet), stretching and other fitness exercises (done at the beginning of ballet) and whatever else you want to include. I might add that much of the physical fitness was done alongside her goal of ballet, but I'd list the actual ballet class separately.

I'm having her do nutrition, safety etc as part of a health course and was hoping  to have 1/2 credit Health and 1/2 credit PE. But if it is an extra curricular then I can't count the hours for PE, right? 

Edited by tcb

What would be your goal in listing it as a PE credit?

Two things really:

Dd had a really difficult 9th gr year due to a serious family problem. She experienced some depression and found it difficult to do more than the absolute essentials. She will definitely have 4 credits of Math, Science, History, English and 3 credits of Spanish plus several electives such as Logic, Art etc, but I'm worried that she won't have the sheer number of credits that some of the kids at school have. A lot of those are kind of fluff credits in my opinion, so I'm not really concerned about the education she is receiving, just how she will appear in comparison to others in terms of number of credits. She has a very high score on the ACT so don't know if that would mitigate this at all.

Also, want to make sure I cover all the things that might be required by colleges and thought maybe they like to see PE on the transcript.

Could you pull something from the ballet?  Like, if they do strength and conditioning type stuff, pull that out over the 4 years of HS and make that a 1/2 credit for PE, and leave the actual dance classes as an extracurricular for all 4 years?

This might be a really bad suggestion, as I am very far from an expert on this!

• Like 1

Also, want to make sure I cover all the things that might be required by colleges and thought maybe they like to see PE on the transcript.

I wonder how many colleges require PE? I would think it's more of a concern to meet your state's requirements. If you're gearing up to apply to colleges, then you've probably already checked what is required at the colleges and unis your child wants to apply to.

But what do I know? Nothing. ;)

Congrats on your child's great ACT score! 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

I wonder how many colleges require PE? I would think it's more of a concern to meet your state's requirements. If you're gearing up to apply to colleges, then you've probably already checked what is required at the colleges and unis your child wants to apply to.

But what do I know? Nothing. ;)

Congrats on your child's great ACT score! 

We're in Missouri and there aren't specific graduation requirements for homeschoolers, or at least not as far as I can see. PE is a requirement for public school. I've looked at the requirements for some of the colleges she may be interested in, and all I can find are lists of required credits as in 4 English etc. But that only amounts to something like 17 credits, and I have been unable to find anywhere that states a total number of credits required for her to be competitive.

She gets a good workout from her ballet classes and we are busy with that and robotics, so I don't want to have to try and fit in some other exercise thing just to fulfill a PE credit. Now, if she wasn't getting exercise then I would want her to do something. I feel like she may need to have more credits on her transcript, so wondered if this would work out.

The ACT score of a homeschooled student means a lot, yes. 

I wouldn't fuss with separating out ballet into credit vs extra curricular. I would list 4 years of ballet and just go ahead and do a credit of health/PE. 

No, you don't want to double dip, but 3 hours of class per week plus practice is way, way more than you need for a half credit of PE. And I'd assume she has done some other walking and exercise over her high school career. If you get detailed enough in her extra curriculars that you are listing class and practice hours, just list a lower number of practice hours for 9th-grade. 

I don't think it will make a huge difference either way. The one thing I would not do is assign it ALL to PE, because 4 years of ballet is stronger than 3 years of ballet and half a PE credit. 

• Like 4

I'm pondering similar questions.

Dd has been playing softball since 3rd grade, and intends to continue through graduation.  It always seemed credit worthy (PA mandates 1 credit) but I do feel it would look better as a long-term commitment to an extracurricular.

The PA mandate does state that Physical EDUCATION does not necessarily have to be Physical ACTIVITY, so we may use that to our advantage and go more academic.  (Or maybe she'll follow through on karate and I can quit overthinking the whole, stupid thing!  :toetap05: )

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas. I remembered that she and I did a barre class together that year as well so I think I can count that and some other stuff and maybe some of the ballet class as suggested and still have it as an extra curricular - just not so many hours as extra curricular that year.

I would.  Our state requires a semester of gym/fitness and a semester of health (mostly reading about it).  For gym, we did a mix.  They were usually in a homeschool gym class of some sort that would provide some hours.  But I also drew hours from ballet classes, family hikes, community bike rides.  Why not?  

• Like 1

At the school where I teach, one thing students do is learn about the sport/artform they are studying. Did she read about any dancers during that time?

Yes she has, she's even had to write a short paper or two for different things at the ballet studio. Thanks, hadn't remembered that until you mentioned it.

• Like 1