Menu

Free/cheap K math

ReadingMama1214

Dd is in a half day preschool program that is heavily play based and which she loves. However, she also loves math and writing simple addition and subtraction problems, doing the abacus, and playing with a toy clock.

I'm looking for a math program that acts more of a guide for K math. I feel confident in teaching K concepts and we have a lot of manipulatives (abacus, counting bear set, play money, play clock, white board, 100 chart). I'd love an online printable curriculum if possible.

Dd will go to K at a school that uses Singapore. However, they do advance kids per subject (not whole grade). I plan to pull her to homeschool in 1st. Due to my own grad work I can't homeschool fully until then.

I've looked at MEP and CSMP. I feel that CSMP requires too many extra materials to buy. I do plan to buy cusienar rods this fall.

Edited by ReadingMama1214

If you're getting C-rods anyway, I'd just use the activities on Education Unboxed as a guide and play around with the manipulatives you have. You could also get Right Start's Activities for the Al-Abacus if you wanted more guidance about how to use that...

• Like 1

If you're getting C-rods anyway, I'd just use the activities on Education Unboxed as a guide and play around with the manipulatives you have. You could also get Right Start's Activities for the Al-Abacus if you wanted more guidance about how to use that...

I am looking at the al abacus book. I think I'll get that and c-rods. Is education inboxes inexpensive?

I think we will do that. It sounds perfect and different enough from what she'll have in K. She loves manipultives and the rods sound perfect.

Just a warning that when you first look at the Miquon book you may be completely confused. Once you have done a few pages it isn't difficult to figure out at all. The 1st grade diary tells how another teacher used them. You can probably find a used copy on Amazon. You can also search old threads for ideas if you need some help.

ETA: https://www.amazon.com/First-Grade-Diary-Miquon-Math-Materials/dp/0913684678/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471197302&sr=8-1&keywords=1st+grade+diary

Edited by Rach

Just a warning that when you first look at the Miquon book you may be completely confused. Once you have done a few pages it isn't difficult to figure out at all. The 1st grade diary tells how another teacher used them. You can probably find a used copy on Amazon. You can also search old threads for ideas if you need some help.

ETA: https://www.amazon.com/First-Grade-Diary-Miquon-Math-Materials/dp/0913684678/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471197302&sr=8-1&keywords=1st+grade+diary

Thanks. I've looked at Miquon and I think I understand the basics of it, but aguide might be helpful. I think we'll do education unboxed for This year and then look at more extensive curriculums for 1st when I bring her home. Right now this is more to keep her from getting bored in PreK and keep progressing along as she has at home.

• Like 1