Menu

Walk in clinic or wait until monday

JustEm

Ds seems to have a staph infection, looks like impetigo. It isn't terribly bad but a bunch of new blisters popped up overnight. I have been cleaning it with a Vinegar solution and making him bath daily and making sure his hygiene is good. I don't want it to continue if the steps so far aren't helping.

So should I take him to a clinic today or just wait until Monday and make an appointment with his dr?

If you're pretty sure it's impetigo, could you call the doctor's office and ask them to call in an RX for ointment? I usually used triple antibiotic for a first course with impetigo. The pediatrician told me my instinct was right but that something stronger was needed. Sometimes doctors will call something in, especially if it's for a condition the kids have had before.

• Like 1

For at-home care, bleach baths and triple antibiotic ointments are better than vinegar, but they may not be enough.  Staph infections can go bad quickly and they can spread to others.  If it is spreading to new skin, I would definitely take him in and get the Rx. 

Do you have a walkin clinic like at Walgreens or CVS? That's generally less expensive than urgent care. I was pleased with the care I got at Walgreens.

Money isn't an issue. We won't be out any money out if pocket no matter where we go. I'm waiting for dh to get home from work and then I'll take him in. He may even get his dr because it is the clinic attached to his practicw

• Like 2