Menu

Prentice Hall algebra 1

DD just finished Algebra 1.  TTUISD uses a Prentice Hall series for Math. This is their course description:

https://enroll.ttuisd.ttu.edu/catalog/CourseListing.asp?master_id=1266&master_version=1&course_area=HIGH&course_number=ALG%201A&course_subtitle=2

This is the textbook they use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0131340212/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1471012462&sr=1-1

As I write this, you can buy that Algebra 1 textbook, on Amazon, "Used - Very Good", for $22.00 plus $3.99 shipping, from alphabookworks in GA.  We just bought a 10th grade English textbook for DD from alphabookworks

I have no clue as to what you might receive for $108, but suggest you investigate that, before you shell out that much money.

I clicked on the link you provided and I read most or all of the information they have available there. Very interesting! We are "Distance Learners" but if we were Home Schoolers, I would buy that course... I think it will save you a lot of time and work, that they've done, creating the course. I believe Prentice Hall has several different series of Math books. TTUISD uses one of those Prentice Hall series and DD has been using Prentice Hall Math books, beginning with 6th grade. She's just completed 4 school years with those Math books and she will begin Geometry in a few days. (I bought the Geometry book for $1.05, last October :-) ) If you buy that course, I hope you and your student will like it!

What I like about TT, is the solutions which provides step by step answers to each problem. The CD was handy for problemsthat my child or I couldn't figure out. However, after using TT, algebra needs repeated. I'm concerned that other curriculum won't have step by step answers, which were in itself a valuable learning tool.

• Like 1

We used the Prentice Hall Algebra 1 textbook in conjunction with the Math Without Borders lessons to go along with it.

I purchased the textbook used off of Amazon..the lessons from MWB and then the answer booklet (which was the most difficult to acquire) I had to purchase through a third party company called Oasis and needed to send in a homeschool affidavit promising we wouldn't share the answers with anyone. I guess since the book is still used in schools they need to be careful about giving out answer booklets.

https://mathwithoutborders.com/algebra-1

I'm thinking about how my child learns math, likes clear to the point directions, not explained the long way around, but does need plenty of repetition, and sometimes has a different method of solving that makes more sense to her than what's being taught. Needs clear step by step solutions manual to help with certain problems. Prefers lessons presented by parent, doesn't respond well to video lessons. Which PH algebra would be a good fit, classic or 2011 version?

I'm thinking about how my child learns math, likes clear to the point directions, not explained the long way around, but does need plenty of repetition, and sometimes has a different method of solving that makes more sense to her than what's being taught. Needs clear step by step solutions manual to help with certain problems. Prefers lessons presented by parent, doesn't respond well to video lessons. Which PH algebra would be a good fit, classic or 2011 version?

The PH Classic is Foerster's see:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschooling-high-school-math/?do=findComment&comment=6190964

It has fairly challenging problems. 

=====================================

Looks like PH 2011 is the last non Common Core edition. You should be able to get a discounted price.

See this for latest Common Core edition..

http://www.pearsonschool.com/live/customer_central/video/pearson_hs_math2/LaunchTheTour.html

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

Thank you, MarkT for the links. I read a detailed review of Foerster Algebra at math mammoth, it's definitely the version I'll buy. Are PH Classics Algebra and

Foerster: expressions, equations, and applications the exact same thing????

Foerster may or may not be the best fit for your student.  I would read through all the Algebra 1 listings in the link I posted. You may want to consider Fresh Approach.

There are big differences between A Fresh Approach and Foerster. Parts of AFA remind me of Key to series,(which I've seriously considered for this year) yes, I'll look through all the algebra listings. I'd narrowed down to Abeka or PH 2011 or Key to.. based on ruling out many other choices, but it's time to rethink this through.

We've used Abeka's Alg 1, although they just came out with a new edition this year (which we've obviously not used). It is meant to be taught by a teacher and there are not clear breaks for lessons in the student text the way there were in previous levels. Eldest used their previous edition Alg 1 with the DVD teacher (changing this year with the new edition) and loved it. There were only two weird things, IMO:  they didn't explicitly teach slope-intercept form and all their trig problems were in the back of the book and not included in the suggested schedule (as if they were an afterthought).

Good luck with your decision!

Edited to add:  Memoria Press sells a package with the PH classics edition, quizzes & tests, and the answer key for the quizzes & tests.

Edited by RootAnn

Given your description, I'd take a look at Saxon. You can buy video lessons from Dive or Art Reed and it comes with a complete solutions manual. It is a spiral curriculum that adds small steps each time and has lots and lots of review. You will want the 3rd edition NOT the 4th which has been redone for teacher led public school classes.

(There is also a free at-your-own-pace class at Virtual Homeschool Group, but I think that your student will need more direct instruction and repetition than that class provides. It would be a good place to see the Saxon method and problem types if you can't find a physical copy.)

• Like 1

After looking over many choices,and I'm still researching, I'm strongly considering a program that's designed for right-brain learning. My student did well with RightStart math for the early grades. Videotext is recommended for use after RightStart. Cost is a huge factor which is why we ended up with TT algebra, an approach which wasn't a complete flop, but overall, didn't work.