Menu

Barton at Home? Or something else ?

momgenet

I have an older child who is 13 but reading on a 3rd grade reading level, so I will post this here. She has excelled under tutoring with Barton and is on Book 3 and Lesson 8 r. However, due to insane financial problems AND moving, we may have to remove her mid-course. Does anyone know what is the closest thing I could do with her at home ? All About Spelling ? Logic of English ? Ideas ? Barton itself seems $$$$. And does anyone know WHERE in AAS or LOE she would be placed if she is now in Barton book 3 ? Thanks

You may have more luck posting over on the Learning Challenges forum.  Lots of experienced parents there.  

We used the book "We All Can Read" as an in-home program.  It worked very well for my 13 year old Stealth Dylexia student.   They do have a website with an online program here.  The books that the site is based on are under the "Buy Books" link.  I found mine used, at a great discount.

If she is really doing well with Barton I would try to avoid having to switch her to a different program mid-stream.  Barton will carry her all the way up through 9th grade level material, at which point she would be reading at High School level and beyond.  You can definitely tutor her with Barton.  It is fully scripted, there are DVDs and tutor training pages to teach you how to teach her, and it is very incremental.  And Susan Barton will also help you out if you run into trouble.

Also I agree, Barton sells for nearly the original price. You could easily buy Level 3 right now, then resell it to fund Level 4.  Plus, Level 4 is LOOOONG and usually the most challenging of all of the levels.  Therefore, you won't be buying more than Level 3 and Level 4 for months and months, probably closer to a year.  Much lower out of pocket expense than paying a private tutor.  

Another point, if you buy the levels yourself, you will have access to all of the free tutor support materials on line.  If you find you cannot afford the next Level right away you can use the support materials to keep her going until you can.

And honestly, you say that Barton is working.  Not all dyslexics can switch programs and have much success.  Barton is a great program and designed specifically for dyslexics. AAR is not, even though it is OG based.  For some dyslexics AAR makes too many leaps.  I would try doing Barton.  I would not switch if it is working.

If you hit a snag, you can always hop onto the Learning Challenges board.  Several posters over there that are using this system (including me).  

I would see if you can possibly borrow Level 1 and 2 TMs and DVDs from the tutor for a couple of days, just to skim through them, (but they may not be willing to do so).  There are very important hand gestures and other things that make the lesson easier for a dyslexic because it eliminates some of the words a tutor would otherwise have to say.  Lots of talking while trying to learn a lesson on reading/spelling can really confuse and stress out a dyslexic.  It won't take long, but it would help if you could familiarize yourself with the program specifics introduced in Level 1 and 2 before tackling Level 3 mid-way through. If you cannot borrow those two levels, then pay close attention to the DVDs for Level 3 and feel free to ask questions of people on the LC board or even Susan Barton herself.  She is very willing to give feedback when needed.  

Since she is already at Lesson 8 of Level 3, she actually only has Lessons 8-11 to go for this level.  Normally I would recommend seeing if you could possibly wait until she is done with Level 3 to switch but Level 4 is not an easy Level.  I would hate for a layman to start tutoring using Barton and start with Level 4.  It can be the hardest level of the entire program, as I mentioned.  Most people find the other levels easier and significantly faster to get through.  Plus, I think it would help tremendously if you were learning the rules from Level 3 before trying to tackle Level 4.  

Basically, if you decide to start Barton, there are many on the Learning Challenges board that can help you through, plus there is a tutor support group through the Barton site, and you would be using a program with a strong success rate AND your child is already doing very well with this program, AND you can usually resell each level at nearly the original price to pay for the next one so your out of pocket expenses would not be very high.  

And if you wanted to earn some money on the side you could tutor this system yourself once you got comfortable with it instead of selling the levels.

Oh, if you buy Barton, buy an extra set of tiles.  If you decide to resell your current level to fund the next one you will need to provide a set of tiles for the new owner but you will need to keep a set to use with the next level.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 3

Yup, stick with Barton.  Your resale value will be terrific, making it MUCH less expensive to use than you anticipate.  It comes with videos and is fully scripted.  You can do it, no problem. Or see if you can barter for some tutoring when you get to your new location.  They might need some services you could trade.   :)

Adding: This is kind of a long shot, but some states have disability scholarships for people who have an IEP and give up their FAPE.  Definitely something to check into.  

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

I agree with sticking with Barton even if you have to take a break for a while between levels.

If it is really impossible to continue, High Noon books has a program that is designed for older kids. I don't think it follows the same sequence as Barton. it is cost less than Barton but it isn't what I would call cheep.

Yup, stick with Barton.  Your resale value will be terrific, making it MUCH less expensive to use than you anticipate.  It comes with videos and is fully scripted.  You can do it, no problem. Or see if you can barter for some tutoring when you get to your new location.  They might need some services you could trade.   :)

Adding: This is kind of a long shot, but some states have disability scholarships for people who have an IEP and give up their FAPE.  Definitely something to check into.  

She has no formal diagnosis and I have NO idea what a FAPE is ? 

But thank you . . . .

Well . . . . she has gone through levels 1 - 3 in two months . . . .so . . . . . .I was just imagining having to spend $2400 for the rest in the next year or so . . .but I could be wrong . . .

Pacing will be different with each level and each child so it is hard to predict how she will progress from level to level, but the first 3 levels are the shortest and usually (but not always) can be completed in a few weeks to a few months.  Let me give you a rundown...

Level 1 is extremely short.  Extremely.  It is only 5 lessons and the lessons only have a few parts. (Barton calls them lessons but each lesson has parts that take time to do, so a "lesson" may take quite a bit of time to go through, depending on what is being covered.  Most dyslexics do not complete  a lesson a day by any means.) This is a critical level for most dyslexics because this includes the pieces that they frequently never picked up through simple exposure to early reading lessons like most kids do.  In fact, this level can be the Rosetta stone that finally starts to unlock basic reading skills and is often the part that NO ONE realized the child is missing.  But it is VERY short.  

(That being said, if a child has comorbid issues or has developed really bad reading habits it can still take quite a bit of time to move through, depending on the specific child and any comorbid issues.  With DD, she needed a few weeks to complete it but with DS he did it in one week.  He could have completed it sooner but I kept him to one lesson a day.)

Level 2 only has 5 lessons, too, but the lessons have maybe twice as many parts as in Level 1.  It is also extremely short compared to the rest of the program, but takes longer than Level 1.  

Level 3 has 11 lessons, and the parts are more intense.  There is a lot of meat on the bone for all the Levels starting with this one.  This one takes quite a bit more time than Level 1 or Level 2, but if there are no comorbid issues and the student gets tutored at least 2 hours or more a week, they may complete it in 2-3 months, sometimes much shorter, sometimes longer.

Then there is Level 4.  It is 14 lessons long, but it isn't just that there are more lessons, the lessons themselves cover a LOT of ground and are very intense, especially after the first 2-3.  There are certain lessons that cover areas which are normally quite challenging for a dyslexic and can take a tremendous amount of time and effort to cover to mastery, especially compared to the previous three levels.  In fact, some people who hit this level quit the program because every level through this one has ramped up in length and difficulty.  At this point they think there is no way they can handle another ramp up or longer Level.  Thankfully, after Level 4 things are usually easier for the student and there is only one other Level this long.  Getting through Level 4 the student will now have significant skills under their belt.  If the tutor/student can make it through this Level things usually move at a faster pace again.  (DD struggled horribly with this level and we had to stay at this level quite a while because she has some comorbid issues that tripped her up but she then breezed through Level 5 with no issues and really enjoyed the level).

In other words, unless your child actually isn't dyslexic, Level 4 should take quite a bit longer than Level 1/2/3.

• Like 1

Ds is 8 and he did level one last November and level 2 in December/first part of January. He then moved on to level 3 and worked until July, and he has been basically reviewing and solidifying level 3 and working in the first 1-4 lessons of 4. Four is much more difficult for him and we anticipate it taking much of the school year getting through it.

• Like 1

She has no formal diagnosis and I have NO idea what a FAPE is ?

But thank you . . . .

I would see about getting a diagnosis. FAPE is free appropriate public education, and if she was in public school getting tutoring she likely had an IEP, and most likely a diagnosis. I wouldn't give up Barton either, under any circumstance. The resale is very high!

• Like 1

I have an older child who is 13 but reading on a 3rd grade reading level, so I will post this here. She has excelled under tutoring with Barton and is on Book 3 and Lesson 8 r. However, due to insane financial problems AND moving, we may have to remove her mid-course. Does anyone know what is the closest thing I could do with her at home ? All About Spelling ? Logic of English ? Ideas ? Barton itself seems $$$$. And does anyone know WHERE in AAS or LOE she would be placed if she is now in Barton book 3 ? Thanks

I tend to not want to change something that's working, unless I really have to! But if you do want to look at changing, a couple of thoughts:

1, you would not do only AAS, unless spelling was the only thing that needed help (and since your dd is reading on a 3rd grade level, she definitely needs reading help as well). You would do both AAR and AAS. AALP separates reading and spelling so that students can progress at their own pace within each skill area.

2, after Barton 3, your student might be in level 2 for each, but I would double-check the placement--you want to see fluency and automaticity and not just exposure to concepts. (For example, if reading blends is possible but there's not a lot of fluency yet, you may not want to move on. Or, if a student always has to go back and correct when they try to spell words with blends--again, you may not want to move on just yet. You want to see mastery/automaticity first). 

You might find this Dyslexia Resources page helpful. 

• Like 1