Menu

5 cubic foot Chest Freezer--Where to Put It

umsami

So after 10 years of wanting one, I finally bit the bullet and bought a small chest freezer.  It arrived today, and now I'm trying to figure out where to put it.

The options are:

* In the garage, although I live in Florida and have heard that the GFIs in the garage can cause issues

* In an alcove in the main living room (not the most attractive place)

* In the dining area (although it would probably make things tight for people who sit on the side of the table closest to the freezer

* In my master bedroom or master bathroom (although I'd probably need an extension cord in the bathroom)

So after 10 years of wanting one, I finally bit the bullet and bought a small chest freezer.  It arrived today, and now I'm trying to figure out where to put it.

The options are:

* In the garage, although I live in Florida and have heard that the GFIs in the garage can cause issues Probably not a great idea, given where you live.

* In an alcove in the main living room (not the most attractive place) Could you put a lovely cloth over it and a vase of flowers?

* In the dining area (although it would probably make things tight for people who sit on the side of the table closest to the freezer Not ideal, but 3rd choice.

* In my master bedroom or master bathroom (although I'd probably need an extension cord in the bathroom) Possibly in Master Bedroom. Not in bathroom as there is too much moisture.

I have a bigger freezer then you do. However a few years ago it looked like we might be moving back to Boston. I refuse to live in the burbs if we moved back there. So I was SERIOUSLY considering turning my freezer into the legs for my dining room table. I was going to take the legs off my current table and put it on top of my freezer. Not ideal, but honestly I LOVE my freezer that much!

Thankfully we didn't move back. So I never had to deal with it. 

• Like 3

We've variously had ours in a storeroom and outside, under cover. It lives outside now and we've had no problems. We have cool winters and hot summers.

We've had a fridge in the dining room, maybe even the freezer at one stage - I vaguely remember sewing a cover for it. But no. I don't like the look. Kitchen appliances in the kitchen or outside.

We had a small chest freezer in our eating area when we lived in an apartment.  I kept a square tablecloth at an angle over it and a few pics of the family.  A larger cloth was a pain to move.  I decided to keep a few pics on it to keep the clutter off the top.  It wasn't the most attractive thing, but it wasn't ugly either.  

We have ours in the garage, but it is on a non-GFI outlet that was installed specifically for it. I think you can have it on a GFI if you just pay really close attention, you just want to be absolutely sure it gets turned back on if the GFI ever trips.

The heat hasn't bothered it at all, so that part isn't an issue.

If the GFI worries you, then I would think dining room, and try to disguise it. Or whatever location in your home would be least visible, as well as easiest to clean up if it ever fails, thaws during a power outage, leaks for any reason, the kids don't close it all the way, etc. In other words, probably not some place with carpet.

I have a bigger freezer then you do. However a few years ago it looked like we might be moving back to Boston. I refuse to live in the burbs if we moved back there. So I was SERIOUSLY considering turning my freezer into the legs for my dining room table. I was going to take the legs off my current table and put it on top of my freezer. Not ideal, but honestly I LOVE my freezer that much!

Thankfully we didn't move back. So I never had to deal with it.

This is brilliant. So your table would be the "lid" to the freezer? I love this.