Menu

Holt Biology from Rainbow, Oak Meadow, or individually?

If you decided to switch to Holt Biology, would you purchase it through Rainbow Resource, individually, or through Oak Meadow with their syllabus?

This is a child who could not be less interested in biology. I am hoping to make it more interesting, or at least more understandable. He clearly just wants to check a box.

I'd purchase the book where ever I could get it cheapest (probably amazon) then I'd decide if I wanted to get the OM syllabus to use with it. I think their syllabus would probably give him appropriate boxes to check, rather than just read the book. You don't have to buy the book from them in order to buy their syllabus though.

• 3 years later...

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm making the same decision and hoping for more info.

Specifically, does the homeschool edition of Holt Biology with online resources have any kind of syllabus or schedule?

Also, it looks like the Oak Meadow syllabus leaves out the human biology unit of the textbook. Is that right?

The online gives you access to everything,  but we couldn't fit it all into the school year.  I purchased the textbook, then got the online portion from RR. 

With my next kid I decided to try Miller Levine Biology.  I liked it more- easier to read and better graphics imo.  Plus I bought a workbook already printed 😉

With both books I suggest doing the human body unit as part of a health elective.  There is just too much to cover in one school year!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

The online gives you access to everything,  but we couldn't fit it all into the school year.  I purchased the textbook, then got the online portion from RR. 

With my next kid I decided to try Miller Levine Biology.  I liked it more- easier to read and better graphics imo.  Plus I bought a workbook already printed 😉

With both books I suggest doing the human body unit as part of a health elective.  There is just too much to cover in one school year!

Thanks, that's good to know! I've been considering Miller Levine, too. I can get either textbook used at a reasonable price, and I'm looking for a good syllabus/schedule to start from. Kolbe has one for Miller Levine, Oak Meadow has one for Holt, and I'm wondering if the online resources include a syllabus/schedule for a school year, so that maybe I wouldn't need to buy either of them.

I did not use a syllabus with either program.  I did use www.biologycorner.com and HHMI Biointeractive websites.  With both books I did most of the chapters, but not the human body.  This past year was kinda busy, so I even swapped chapters around according to how busy we were.  

As for comparison,  both books are good!  I enjoyed the ML text better, but I may use Holt next time, kinda depends on the kid.  For ML I got the textbook, student workbook and the teacher assessment book.  I made the labs up myself using RSO Bio2, Biology Corner and Pinterest.