Menu

Dr. Hive - knee pain

Night Elf

About a month or more ago, my left knee started hurting. I don't recall doing anything to it so I have no idea why it's hurting. I'm trying to isolate the pain, and most of it is just under and below the kneecap. It also hurts underneath on the sides. It hurts when I stand up and walk on it. It's not terrible pain, but noticeable. Right now it's actually throbbing a little and it doesn't usually do that. I've been walking on the treadmill but it doesn't hurt when I'm on it, or at least I am too busy to notice it. But I haven't been on the treadmill for 5 days because I'm waiting to see if it will get better on its own. DH thinks I should go see the doctor. What would the doctor do? Should I go or continue to nurse it? I don't even know whether to put ice or heat on it. Right now I've got ice on it and I've taken some ibuprofen. What would you do if you were me? I've got excellent insurance so that's not keeping me from the doctor.

I have very low grade patellar tendonitis that flares up occasionally. 

http://www.houstonmethodist.org/orthopedics/where-does-it-hurt/knee/patellar-tendonitis/

I think you might be looking at something similar.  Have a read through that link & see if it matches. 

I'd see a physio & make sure you've got good shoes & proper alignment.... a fallen arch and even gentle subsequent angulation can aggravate this. 

DH is also suggesting runner's knee. The ironic thing is that I hate exercising and I started walking on the treadmill and then adding in a couple of minutes of running every 5 minutes. So now we're wondering if that exercise has created this knee problem. It seems exercise is more hassle than it is good for me. I'm going to make an appointment for the week after next. I have so much to do this week getting dd ready to move to school on the 7th. This is crazy. I've never had a pain like this before.

what you do, depends upon what is going on.

things that come to mind . .

meniscus (fairly common)

bursitis (there are three bursa in the knee) - 

be grateful, it doesn't sound like an ACL or MCL.

I'd do some searches for symptoms of those injuries to see if anything sounds familiar to you.

I had a 3rd degree MCL injury (AND the fibula twisted in the joint) - and my SPORTS MEDICINE dr did squat. (it took him  six weeks just to  order an MRI.  he kept insisting it was my meniscus.)   I do need to leave a nasty review on yelp.

With joints, if it isn't better in a few days, I always go to an orthopedic doctor. At the university hospital nearby, you tell which joint and get an ortho who specializes in that joint. Most orthopedic practices around here will get you in within a couple days. 

They will do an exam and take x-rays, then you'll get your diagnosis. Typically, PT will be recommended and they can get you back to using the treadmill again in a way that won't retrigger the problem, even if something you were doing on the treadmill caused the problem. 

• Like 1

DH is also suggesting runner's knee. The ironic thing is that I hate exercising and I started walking on the treadmill and then adding in a couple of minutes of running every 5 minutes. So now we're wondering if that exercise has created this knee problem. It seems exercise is more hassle than it is good for me. I'm going to make an appointment for the week after next. I have so much to do this week getting dd ready to move to school on the 7th. This is crazy. I've never had a pain like this before.

Treadmills are actually really horrible for your knees. I was having a lot of knee pain for a while and the only thing I could connect it to was walking on the treadmill. I looked it up and it's considered a high impact exercise. Just FYI.