Menu

Low hemogloben

So if you have had a low hemogloben how long did it take for you to get it to rise?

2 years ago mine was101. I took iron tablets up unlit just over a month ago. Per operation last week it measured 95. After operation it now measures 86. I am pretty lightheaded and feel completely exhausted after the slightest task.

I have started taking iron again and have a regular diet that includes both red meat and green leafy vegatables

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.

My 'low' was ferritin (stored iron) rather than blood iron and I've only been on iron tablets for a month. That said, I've been told to go for a retest after 3 months, and also had additional tests to check I was not losing blood internally - your doctor should probably have suggested both of these when you initially had low levels. I'm guessing my doctor expects levels to be within normal range after 3 months. The blood donor service have a 'lock out' of 6 months, so I think 3-6 months is a reasonable window to expect improvements.

Does your iron have Vit C included or are you drinking it with orange juice? Vit C assists iron absorption. Coffee (not sure about tea and cola?) reduces iron absorption, so should be spaced between meals or iron tablet consumption.

• Like 1

My haemoglobin was low for both my pregnancies and also in college. I had to go on double dosage of iron supplements as prescribed and they ran a full blood count a month later to monitor. I had to be on iron supplements the whole duration of pregnancy, it was too low at first blood count, then climbed slowly up. Obgyn was worried it would drop again if I stop. My mom is also often anemic, her haemoglobin count is often low on blood counts. She is on rheumatism medication so they do routine blood draws to monitor medication side effects.

• Like 1

Do they sell Floradix in Aus? It seems they do: http://floradix.com.au/wheretobuy/

I found this, hands down, to be the most helpful supplement in trying to recover after heavy blood loss. Iron tablets did very little for me.

I drank this twice a day, and followed with a glass of orange juice each time.  My serum levels increased dramatically weekly, and I went back to normal after four weeks.

• Like 1