Menu

Wilson Hill Academy or My Homeschool Math Class Geometry

We used My Homeschool Math Class (Jann in TX) for Alg 1.  My ds LOVES her and her teaching methods.  He hated math but tolerates it now.

He is signed up for Geometry.  She knows how to cater to all learning styles, including visual learners, which is my son. She is very helpful with all her students.  She is enthusiastic about math and she is always available for tutoring sessions, if your child needs help.  She answers all the kids questions in e-mails in a timely manner.

Edited by Nicholas_mom

My dd took Alg. 2 and Geometry with Jann. It was a very good experience. If Jann taught higher levels, we would have continued with her. She is helpful, organized and cares about the kids learning the material. Her class is also very reasonably priced.

I’ve used both My Homeschool Math Class with Jann Perkins and WHA. All 3 of my children studied math with Jann Perkins.

DS1 (now a rising senior in college) loved Jann as a teacher and insisted on doing all his high school math courses with her. Afterwards, he was well prepared to begin pre-calculus at the community college and he scored above average on the math portion of the ACT/SAT. The lecture pace and pace of course was adequate for son.

DS2 (about to enter freshman year of college) also loved Jann as a teacher. He took Alg 1 and Alg2 with Jann. Although he made an A in the courses, he struggled through. Jann gave him many free tutoring sessions and got him through. She was an awesome support system. DS2 took geometry with DO because he needed to go at his own pace. Otherwise, I would have had him take geometry with Jann. The pace of Jann’s lecturing and the pace of the entire course was perfect for this son. This DS scored very well on the ACT math section.

DD (rising sophomore in high school) took Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1 with Jann. DD loved Jann also, but felt that the classes were a little too long for her. DD would read the book before class, so she had basic understanding of concepts going into each class. When Jann lectured, DD would get the material immediately. When other students needed to progress more slowly, DD felt bored. She wanted to take Jann for geometry last year; however, the available times conflicted with her dual enrollment courses.  DD took ACT in 8th grade and scored well enough on the math portion to begin taking dual enrollment courses at the community college. DD took geometry with WHA. She liked the teacher and the class; however, she felt that the teacher did not answers homework questions. Instead, the teacher required students answer each other’s homework questions on the discussion boards. There were times when the other students’ explanations were of no help to DD. In these cases, DD would send an email to the teacher, and the teacher would answer the question. DD didn’t like having to go through these steps because it would often be a day or two before she got a student’s answer, then she would have to wait another day or two to get the teacher’s answer.

The workload for both WHA and My Homeschool Math Class is manageable…not too much…maybe not enough for the student that needs to be challenged. WHA’s geometry teacher/text did include more advanced problems towards the end of each homework assignment.

Personally, I feel that Jann has a sincere interest in the success of each student under her tutelage. When my DC studied with Jann, she offered FREE tutoring sessions to any student who needed help. I don’t know if she still offers that. We’ve taken many online courses and have only had 1 other teacher (Anne Stublen at WHA) take a sincere interest in the success of my DC (in that particular course and beyond).  In addition, Jann takes the time to make sure that EVERY student understands the concepts she’s covering. If you have a quick learner, then her classes may not be for your student. If you have an average or slower learner, then I think she’s perfect for this type of student.

• Like 3

I have 3 kids who have taken Jann's classes and 2 continuing next year. We started 2 years ago, then 1 ds taking Geometry, 1 ds taking Algebra 1, and 1 dd taking Pre-Algebra. What has been said of Jann caring for each student is so true. She has tutored and helped each when they needed it. Last year they were all taking Alg 2, Geometry, and Alg 1. So next year, my kids will be taking Alg 2 and Geometry. In my opinion, Geometry is the most fun class with Jann. The students complete a fall tessellation project and a spring kite building project. Nice break from traditional math homework. Plus, the kids get to know each other a bit, chat via the text box before and after class, which makes it fun.

And she has a new teacher that has joined her and is teaching PreCalculus this coming year. Check out her website for details.

I rave to all my friends about math classes with Jann. They have been such a blessing to our family (and my sanity)!

• Like 1

We've used WHA for Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2, and we've been very happy with the instructors and the classes. We'll be continuing with them next year.

The WHA teachers are great. I like the fact that WHA uses the Dolciani texts and Jurgensen's Geometry text. I don't have to go looking for a new online math provider every year. And, I don't have to worry about leaving gaps by jumping from one curriculum to another (ie, Dolciani to Saxon to...) 

• Like 2