Menu

Should DD retake Biology E Sat Subject Test?

She's not so happy with her score.  She also wants to be done testing and not have to test anymore, haha.  

She got a 770 on Literature (Lit is a very difficult test so this is great, she's happy with that)

She only got a 690 on Biology :(  She has no idea what happened because she always scored in the 700's on practice exams.  

Should she retake?  or just hold and not worry.

What type of schools is she applying to, how competitive are they and do they routinely require subject scores from applicants?

For a school where her SAT/ACT puts here well above the 50% and that doesn't require the subject tests, she may be fine.

DS applied to one tech heavy school where his high SAT scores were solidly in the mid 50% for the school. They required subject tests from all students. His science subject test scores were above 700 and I think it hurt his app given the competition.

• Like 2

I think the decision rests on why the Biology or Chemistry was chosen. If they are part of a planned major at a competitive school I would retake simply because a retake is pretty easy for most to do. If they were taken to show the pre law major to be can do science, box totally checked imo.

• Like 1

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/sat/sat-percentile-ranks-subject-tests-2015.pdf

Here's the most recent data I could find on percentiles. Looks like her score puts her at the 68th percentile for that particular test. The curves on all of these can be *really* tough as those who take them are all self-selecting since they are only required by top schools. I know percentile-wise there's not much difference, but I think it's best if all subject test scores start with a "7." I agree with others that it may depend on her intended major and the types of schools where she is applying. However, I'd let her make the call on whether or not to retest.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 4

Also, your dd may want to consider taking the Biology M.  I believe the curve on Bio E is a bit harsher than Bio M.  

eta:  Yes, after looking at the tables that Hoggirl posted above, it looks like a similar numerical score to a 690 on Bio E would have netted a 710 or so on the Bio M.

Edited by amsunshinetemp
  • Like 1

Also, your dd may want to consider taking the Biology M.  I believe the curve on Bio E is a bit harsher than Bio M.  

eta:  Yes, after looking at the tables that Hoggirl posted above, it looks like a similar numerical score to a 690 on Bio E would have netted a 710 or so on the Bio M.

She went in to take M and decided last minute to switch.  After she finished E, she glanced through the M questions and was kicking herself, she was far more familiar with the M material :(  I don't know why she made that last minute switch.  

• Like 1

She went in to take M and decided last minute to switch. After she finished E, she glanced through the M questions and was kicking herself, she was far more familiar with the M material :( I don't know why she made that last minute switch.

^I'd retake in this case. If she's already prepped for it, it shouldn't take too long to look over the material again and take another practice exam or two. It's only an hour-long, MC test. I'd still let her make the final decision, and I wouldn't fuss at her/heap burning coals on her head about about her last-minute switch, but I would encourage her to retake. Sounds like she knows she should and is mad at herself for making the last-minute change. That she kinda caused that need herself is probably frustrating her right now.

ETA - I mean take the M test.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 2