Menu

Feedback for my first high school year

So...my eldest will be starting 9th in a few weeks.  I would be very thankful if you could look over my plan & give me honest feedback.  He doesn't have a particular focus or strength.  I hope he'll attend university, but he doesn't know what he wants to do as a career.  He will do whatever work I give him, usually, but he's not an advanced student.  He has to work pretty hard at his studies.

LA: 1 semester of lit through Landry Academy + 1 semester of writing through Landry + remedial spelling with me

Math: We are going to give AoPS Intro to Algebra one more shot.  If it's still too difficult, he'll do TT Geometry. He did TT Algebra in 8th.

Science: Chemistry with Spectrum Chemistry through Landry + lab intensive weekend in June

US History with CLE's 8th grade textbook, which I think will be adequate for 9th grade

Spanish I through Landry

1 semester Logic

1 semester guitar

This should also be the year he earns his Eagle Scout ranking.

I am pressuring him to continue to play one sport with our local school

I am pressuring him to join our high school's robotics after school team

I'm counting three online classes, an AoPS book, a somewhat easier history, an elective, Eagle level work, a sport, and robotics all at once. Quite honestly neither of my teens could have kept up with that workload in ninth grade, but perhaps yours is already used to online courses and they'll be old hat. That's a very sturdy workload.

FWIW, Spectrum Chemistry has weekly labs built in. Unless Landry has regrouped them into the spring you won't need an extra lab intensive.

• Like 2

Same concern as SilverMoon about Spectrum: Are you skipping the Spectrum lab kit? That is not a good idea for that particular curriculum - the weekly labs are integral, not an add on. And, once you do all those labs, you will not need an extra lab intensive.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! 

I feel lost.  I'm not sure why I'm getting so anxious this year.

I'm counting three online classes, an AoPS book, a somewhat easier history, an elective, Eagle level work, a sport, and robotics all at once. Quite honestly neither of my teens could have kept up with that workload in ninth grade, but perhaps yours is already used to online courses and they'll be old hat. That's a very sturdy workload.

FWIW, Spectrum Chemistry has weekly labs built in. Unless Landry has regrouped them into the spring you won't need an extra lab intensive.

He did three online classes in 8th, as well.  It went well for him. The science class will be harder this year, but the English will be easier (I expect).  English classes are the hardest for him, generally.  Science is the most fun for him.  I was thinking that would work? I definitely don't want to overwhelm him.  I really appreciate the bolded.  When I look at his classes, sometimes it feels like too  much and sometimes it feels like to little.  He is close to getting his Eagle (3 merit badges left), and that should be a minor part of the year.    The robotics team is made up of two guys and the teacher/sponsor.  They do well in competitions and usually make it to the national level.  It seemed like a fun opportunity for him to make a few friends and learn a lot.  Of course, he has the final say in all of this.  He is interested and wants to do the robotics thing.  The sports team is something he's already doing, and will be the first thing to go.  Neither of us is particularly invested in sports next year.  It's a huge time commitment and I'm not impressed with the coach's behavior (small town, we know all these people and their arrest records already) .

Landry does include the labs throughout the year, but I thought with Chemistry, it would be fun for him to get together for an intensive weekend, since I'm thinking there will be a lot of 'virtual' labs.  I'm not sure, but I'm guessing for Chem, there will be a lot we can't do at home.

If AoPS is too hard, we will switch to TT Geometry.  I have both ready to go.  We tried AoPS algebra in 8th, but it was too hard, so I went with TT algebra.  I want to try AoPS once more, but we'll go with what he chooses.

Just curious... Why are you doing chemistry for 9th grade? Also, I see he hasn't had algebra yet. It would be a lot easier to do chemistry once more math has been covered. Generally high school science is

9th - Physical

10th - Biology

11th - Chemistry

12th - Your choice

He chose chemistry for 9th.  He is tired of biology.  He did a year of earth/physical science in 8th.  The high-school level physics through Landry requires higher math than he's had.  Chemistry is something he hasn't studied yet.  He did complete Teaching Textbooks Algebra in 8th.  I'd love for him to go deeper with AoPS, but it will be his choice to either use AoPS or go into TT Geometry.  I saw that Algebra I was a pre-req for chemistry in the Landry catalogue, and I'm hoping TT was enough.

Same concern as SilverMoon about Spectrum: Are you skipping the Spectrum lab kit? That is not a good idea for that particular curriculum - the weekly labs are integral, not an add on. And, once you do all those labs, you will not need an extra lab intensive.

We won't skip the labs, but I have a feeling (just guessing) that there will be a lot of virtual labs, since I don't have access to a chemistry lab.  I'm not sure...the only chemistry I ever had in high school was done via correspondence course because my school didn't offer it.  Later, I took it at university level, but we had an awesome lab and did things I don't think we could do at home, you know?

Edited by Random

I want to add that we have done Spanish almost every year of homeschool.  I'm hoping that his online Spanish class will be easy and serve to fill in gaps and firm his foundation.  It shouldn't be a ton of new information for him.

We won't skip the labs, but I have a feeling (just guessing) that there will be a lot of virtual labs, since I don't have access to a chemistry lab. I'm not sure...the only chemistry I ever had in high school was done via correspondence course because my school didn't offer it. Later, I took it at university level, but we had an awesome lab and did things I don't think we could do at home, you know?

We did this curriculum from the box, not via an online class. Are you purchasing the Spectrum Chemistry lab kit, or does Landry do their own lab system? The kit from Spectrum is all labs you can do at home, and there are tons of them.

• Like 1

We won't skip the labs, but I have a feeling (just guessing) that there will be a lot of virtual labs, since I don't have access to a chemistry lab. 

You don't need a chemistry lab. Spectrum sends you absolutely everything you need for their labs with the exception of distilled water. If you purchase their kit, you will be able to do all their labs.

• Like 1

I think it looks good. It doesn't look either too light or too heavy to me. I do want to encourage you do get the Spectrum lab kit and do those labs. That curriculum is built around a hands on learning approach. If you don't do their labs, you are really missing the core of the program. You shouldn't need to do Landry afterwards.

• Like 1

You don't need a chemistry lab. Spectrum sends you absolutely everything you need for their labs with the exception of distilled water. If you purchase their kit, you will be able to do all their labs.

Thank you for this!  I bought the books used, so no lab kit was included.  Landry does send a lab kit, though.

I'm encouraged that we may not have to do the extra lab intensive. 

Landry sends a lab kit. It isn't the same as the Spectrum ones, but they have done it for years, so I'm assuming the labs are similar. (My dd#1 is doing the Landry Chem class this year, too.) I don't plan on having her do a separate lab intensive as there looks like there are plenty of labs & lab write-ups in the syllabus.

It looks like 6 credits, which is a good 9th grade year for a solid but not advanced student, IMO.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

A DC already accustomed to keeping up with three online classes would change my opinion somewhat, so it would boil down to making sure all the extras leave time for him to get it done well. I know robotics can be time intensive (especially if he's joining a pre-existing team that's used to going to nationals), sports usually are, and scouts can be. If the sport is lowest on his and your priority list I'd sit down with him and talk over keeping or dropping it, or at least precisely where the line in the sand is for getting too busy. I have dancers that are also in Boy/Venture Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, and such, and I am very defensive of them having ample downtime and not feeling rushed through their schooling.

• Like 1

A DC already accustomed to keeping up with three online classes

Perhaps I interpreted wrongly, but to me the student would be taking literature and Spanish first semester, and writing and Spanish second semester. So yes, while it is three classes, it would be only two per semester.

Perhaps I interpreted wrongly, but to me the student would be taking literature and Spanish first semester, and writing and Spanish second semester. So yes, while it is three classes, it would be only two per semester.

The chemistry was also through Landry. I was assuming chemistry, Spanish, and one of the English courses at one time.

A DC already accustomed to keeping up with three online classes would change my opinion somewhat, so it would boil down to making sure all the extras leave time for him to get it done well. I know robotics can be time intensive (especially if he's joining a pre-existing team that's used to going to nationals), sports usually are, and scouts can be. If the sport is lowest on his and your priority list I'd sit down with him and talk over keeping or dropping it, or at least precisely where the line in the sand is for getting too busy. I have dancers that are also in Boy/Venture Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, and such, and I am very defensive of them having ample downtime and not feeling rushed through their schooling.

This is good advice.  The more I think about it, the less likely he will do the high school baseball team.  We live in a rural area, and every time the team travels for a game, it literally takes the entire day.  There are usually two or three games per week during the season.  It's ridiculous, I think.  It's a spring sport, so we will know by then if he thinks he can do it.

The robotics thing is the one wild card.  The team is very small, only two kids last year.  They won the state competition for the fourth time in five years, I think.  The teacher is amazing, and if every teacher in the school were like him...my son might actually attend the school!  After talking to the teacher, I learned that this year there will be four students.  I can see how that might mean a lot of work per student.  We will see.

I'm so thankful for the help.   

Landry sends a lab kit. It isn't the same as the Spectrum ones, but they have done it for years, so I'm assuming the labs are similar. (My dd#1 is doing the Landry Chem class this year, too.) I don't plan on having her do a separate lab intensive as there looks like there are plenty of labs & lab write-ups in the syllabus.

It looks like 6 credits, which is a good 9th grade year for a solid but not advanced student, IMO.

Good luck!!

My son is taking the Tuesday 11 AM class.  :001_smile:

My 9th grader will be doing Chemistry this year and Alg. I simultaneously as well.  She did physical science with a high school class in 7th, then moved up to Biology with them in 8th which I am giving her credit for, so the next step is chemistry.  The teacher has taught it before and knows my dd well, and says she will be fine.  She's been working slowly through Algebra since Christmas of 8th, and we will likely just take all of 9th on it, as it isn't her favorite subject either. I'd rather her keep studying it daily for a year and a half than rush through to give her a solid base in it.

And the rest looks similar to us as well.  Mine will be a scout, though she won't start her gold award for at least another year.  She'll be doing preliminary badge work that is required first this year, and other than that, may be slowing down a bit in scouts to get through this year, plus she does 3 dance classes a week.  Our big thing we are adding is a debate team and competitions this year.  So I am a bit nervous about her load, but we are going for it too.  Good luck to you. I hope we have a great year~

• Like 1