Menu

Soup recipes - anyone want to share?

Spryte

This is in regular rotation here. http://www.marthastewart.com/344910/lentil-and-escarole-soup

Takes about 10 min to assemble and the rest is cook time. It's very good the 2nd day too & freezes well. 

You can skip escarole altogether or replace with a bit of baby spinach. 

I like to up the tomato a bit, usually adding a bit of tomato paste or in a pinch, couple Tbsp of tomato sauce for pasta.  

• Like 1

I like to make sausage and lentil soup.  I don't follow a recipe, but here's approximately what I do.

Saute some bulk sausage (I assume there's GF sausage of some kind?  I use Purdue's Hot turkey Italian sausage, which a google search tells me gluten free) some onions, maybe some garlic.

Add some stock, and a bunch of lentils.  Simmer until the lentils are soft.

Add a few canned of diced tomatoes, some spinach if I have it on hand, and a bag of frozen mixed veggies.  Maybe some other stuff I'm trying to use up.  

Not fancy, but easy, cheap and high in protein.  

• Like 1

Saute lots of leeks in olive oil (buy bag of frozen leeks from TJ's if you want) and when they are soft, add a couple of quarts chicken stock, salt and extra pepper to taste, thyme if you've got it. While it simmers, chop up potatoes into ~1 inch cubes (scrub but don't peel first) and add to soup. Simmer 15 minutes until potatoes are done. At this point I usually add heavy cream, but you can keep it dairy free by eating as-is, or if you have a blender, blending some of it to make it creamy. I use a stick blender for this if I'm making a dairy-free version for my SIL.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 3

Mmmmm, those both look yummy.

If I needed to sub something for the lentils, what would you suggest? I didn't think to mention it in the OP, but DS is anaphylactic to them. I cooked lentil soup without knowing a few years ago, and the cooking smell put him into anaphylaxis. Aaaack!

There must be a good substitute though!

idnib, we posted at the same time... That looks delicious, too! Adding leeks to the shopping list.

I forgot to add the amount of potatoes. I usually use ~2.5 lbs for 2 quarts of stock, but I might make it 3 lbs if I'm not using the dairy and blending it instead. In that case, you need some of the potatoes to thicken as well.

And don't under season, that much stock and that many potatoes need a lot of seasoning to not be bland.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

Do you have a crock pot? Though you could make this on the stove top. Place a whole uncooked chicken in the pot and cover it with water. Add a generous amount of salt. Cook on low for hours. At serving time open a jar of your favorite salsa, a bag of tortilla chips, and a can of beans. Use a fork to remove meat from the chicken and shred it. Put some in each bowl. Let everyone top it with the other ingredients that they like then add broth from the pot to cover. The salsa is the seasoning. Shredded cheese on top is yummy.

• Like 1

I forgot to add the amount of potatoes. I usually use ~2.5 lbs for 2 quarts of stock, but I might make it 3 lbs if I'm not using the dairy and blending it instead. In that case, you need some of the potatoes to thicken as well.

And don't under season, that much stock and that many potatoes need a lot of seasoning to not be bland.

Thanks! I needed those extra tips. I would have under seasoned for sure... That may be why I haven't mastered soup, actually. :)

• Like 1

This is my all time favorite! Golden Winter Soup - it's basically potato leek soup with butternut squash. To make it easier on myself, I sometimes use frozen butternut squash cubes or even puréed frozen squash. I use olive oil to sauté the vegetables instead of butter. (I never have used the half n half because it's creamy all on its own once you purée it. I also don't make the gruyere toast that goes with it. )

Try it. It is so addictive and easily one of the best soup recipes I've ever made.

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/golden-winter-soup

Edited by aaplank
  • Like 2

Mmmmm, those both look yummy.

If I needed to sub something for the lentils, what would you suggest? I didn't think to mention it in the OP, but DS is anaphylactic to them. I cooked lentil soup without knowing a few years ago, and the cooking smell put him into anaphylaxis. Aaaack!

There must be a good substitute though!

Is he allergic to other legumes?  Lentil soup is definitely not the food for people allergic to lentils!

I make a hamburger soup which is kind of similar in that I use canned tomatoes, boxed broth, and frozen veggies.

Again, I just make it up as I go along, but here's a recipe that I think I used in the beginning:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/hamburger-soup/

• Like 1

Sauté a shallot or two in some oil until soft. Add a heaping tablespoon of curry paste. Stir until fragrant. Add a large can of crushed tomatoes and 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth. Salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, then purée until creamy with an immersion blender.

• Like 2

Sauté a shallot or two in some oil until soft. Add a heaping tablespoon of curry paste. Stir until fragrant. Add a large can of crushed tomatoes and 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth. Salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, then purée until creamy with an immersion blender.

Ok, I'm going to make this later this week. Does it have a name? Cause it will be zoobie soup otherwise :D 

• Like 2

Yum!

Ok, soup peeps, one more substitute question? Curry paste? I have yet to find one I'm sure is safe for DS (peanut, tree nut, sesame, lentil allergic). I have found a curry powder, though. Can I use that somehow?

Yum!

Ok, soup peeps, one more substitute question? Curry paste? I have yet to find one I'm sure is safe for DS (peanut, tree nut, sesame, lentil allergic). I have found a curry powder, though. Can I use that somehow?

Would this be ok? 

"Water, spices (contains mustard), vegetable oil, concentrated tomato purée, salt, corn flour, acetic acid, sugar, tamarind, garlic powder, citric acid, lactic acid."

The oil is non GMO canola. 

It's Patak's Mild Curry Paste. Avail on amazon. 

Would this be ok?

"Water, spices (contains mustard), vegetable oil, concentrated tomato purée, salt, corn flour, acetic acid, sugar, tamarind, garlic powder, citric acid, lactic acid."

The oil is non GMO canola.

It's Patak's Mild Curry Paste. Avail on amazon.

Maybe. :)

I have to email for cross contamination info, but possibly.

Thanks for the new lead!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Yum!

Despite the names, curry powder and curry paste are not really interchangeable. You could try making your own curry paste, though. There are different recipes depending on whether you want red, green, or yellow.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm going to make this later this week. Does it have a name? Cause it will be zoobie soup otherwise :D

We call it Sanaa Tomato Soup because I was trying to replicate theirs. It's a restaurant at Animal Kingdom Lodge in WDW. I use the Patak's mild curry paste. Curry powder isn't the same thing at all.

• Like 2