Menu

What to wear to Bat Mitzvah?

Joker

What time of day? Could be dressy or cocktail attire. I'd ask the host if there's a dress code. :)

Yes, ask for the dress code.

My sister's side of the family is orthodox, so I tend to follow her guidelines re: dress out of respect, for anything on her side. Essentially that means elbows, knees, collarbones covered.

I've been to two Reformed Bars Mitzvot, and one Reconstructionalist Bat Mitzvah.

I was told that for the Reformed services, any dressy clothing was fine.

For the Reconstructionalist one, I was advised to wear a dress or skirt, and to have at least cap sleeves, preferably below the elbow, or a shawl, but that something sleeveless would be fine for the celebration afterwards.

If nobody warned you, only the family and the Christian friends will show up on time. Everyone else trickles in just be for food is served. Bring a shawl. I thought it was a religious thing initially, but now I'm convinced it's for survival because the place was freezing. It can last for hours.

I went to a 3 hour bat mitzvah once. I showed up on time. I was cold. Also, I didn't know the hair barrettes were for my son and his yarmulke fell of every time he fell asleep. It was actually a lot like mass . . . They speak in another language, you stand up and sit down a lot, and you are directed to turn to x page in this book, then y page in this other book. The big difference is that if you turn to the wrong page in the wrong book, you will be reading about nazis.

• Like 1

It's at 10:30am with lunch following the ceremony. Hostess will tell me to wear whatever. She's excited we're coming and planning several things for us all to do before and after.

For lunch, I would probably wear what I would wear to a daytime church wedding. Dress or dressy slacks outfit, not a business suit or cocktail level dressy but nicer than a sundress. Men in blazers and slacks or more casual, summer suits. There may be a description that uses fewer words, but it's past my vocabulary's bedtime apparently. ;)

• Like 2